Minimum size trailer needed to haul an RT/10?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As my search pushes on towards the spring, it looks more and more likely that I'll be in a position to haul any potential car purchase home by myself. I did check quotes with the various shipping companies (concours, reliable, intercity, etc.), but it looks like their rates have nearly double since I first starting looking for cars. Must be rising fuel costs or something...

I'm curious to know what size trailer is actually needed to haul a Viper? I saw the various trailer threads, and it looks like there's no real consensus. Does Uhaul have anything that will work? Where else might one go about renting such a thing (I have no interest in buying one....)?

Thanks!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard it's do-able with a 16 footer, though folks on the board say that 18 ft is the min. I have an 18 footer and it works well. Not much room for storage, but that's an entirely different story.

JD

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a trailer built last year and purposely did a 16 footer. It is easier to store, and maneuver with the car afixed.

Previously I rented a uhaul and I had a very difficult time getting the car on the trailer due to the viper's low clearance. I also specifically rented a low car hauler and still had the problem getting the car on the trailer without hitting the front dam and the rocker at midpoint.

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Looks like 16' is absolute min, with ~20' being preferable. Any comments on required width, and max trailer height of your trailers? I imagine ground clearance is a significant problem with this car...
Also, where do you guys tie down the car? Are there specific locations for this? I've got a bunch of Ancra tiedowns that I use for my motorcycles (I think they are 5k lb. straps?) Are these sufficient for the car?

Thanks!
Mike

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
16ft will work, but as Joseph said not any room for storage. I have always used nothing less than 10,000 lb straps. I guess a 5,000 lb at each corner would be sufficient, but as cheap as they are I would get stronger ones.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All vipers have two tie-down slots in both the front and rear. They are located in the far front and far rear of the frame rails. The slots match up with what I would call a "L Key". You insert, turn 90 degrees and tighten the straps. If you cross tie you will also stabilize the car from lateral movement. I had a hard time finding the L-Key straps. Call M&R @ 609-696-9450. They are the supplier of the 10,000 lb/8 ft transport rated rachet/winch straps.

Just to Clarify a point, A 16 ft trailer means the bed is 16 feet. With my car set for the correct tongue weight there is plenty of room on the bed to the front of the car. I also have the full size tool box on the trailer tongue. I believe the rear of the car may stick out a little to the rear of the trailer.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact me to discuss what you really want. I have a quickload you can borrow if you are only going to use it once. Or-- you can buy it of you like it.

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
Thanks for the tips on the tiedown straps; looks like I better get some new ones if I haul it back. Still hoping the weather might take a turn for the better though.

Paul: Wow; your avatar doesn't look like a 96 GTS... =8^)
I'll give you a call in the next couple of days; need to
wrap up loose ends before I take off...