Thread: 1971 Hemi Cuda Convertible

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default 1971 Hemi Cuda Convertible

Does anyone remember the member that used to own the blue 71 hemi ragtop that was sold at auction in Washington 2-3 years ago?
    Thanks

Enthusiast

Default Re: 1971 Hemi Cuda Convertible

I think the member's name is Russ Myers.

Enthusiast

Did it have a white top and gut? I saw one on Ebay about a month ago go unsold for $1,150,000 - reserve was not met!!!!! Was mint and I believe an original paint car maybe...dog dish hubcaps too...

Enthusiast

The ebay car was Milt Robson's car. It had been restored and was an old drag car like most.
    The car I am asking about was a west coast car.
    I really just would like to get ahold of the previous owner.
    Thanks for the post though Frank.

Enthusiast

As much as I am a Mopar guy no car on this planet is worth that kind of money...period. I wouldn't spend more than $100,000 for any car ever. Personally the numbers matching crap is ridiculous...you could have a beautiful clone made for under six figures...so why would anyone spend in excess of a million dollars for a similar car because it came from the factory that way? I'll never understand it! Plus, you couldn't enjoy the car because you'd be worried that if someone hit the car you'd be suicidal...I guess some people are content with having cars sit in museums collecting dust!

Enthusiast

To the guys that are paying $1million for them, that amount is nothing but a drop in the bucket. Well done clones are now fetching close to 100K, it's crazy.

Enthusiast

I have to agree! And I used to own a business that supplied the resto guys as well as the racers... I'd have to say however, the resto guys would pay to get anything like an original part or something that was a new copy, while the racers were always penny pinching trying to bolt on hp instead of doing it properly by building a decent base engine first.

We need collectors and resto guys to preserve history, but personally, a nice set of 17" or 18" spun alloy's with fat ZR rated tires - rear tubs, and lowered is the look that suits almost any old muscle car. Making a clone of the orginal - no matter how much you spend - still leaves you with a 1970 car that will get spanked by any half decent ricer that'll also get over 20mpg on the drive home, and make you look like an absolute idiot through the turns. They drive like pigs by any modern standard when driven hard on a windy road or around town, and the power is only good over a narrow speed range. They get poor traction on their narrow little tires, they will cause you to change your underwear in the wet on those old resto lookalike tires that suck, they take up 2 lanes over 120mph unless tied down.... and really have little to recommend them other than the good old days. Lord help you if something runs out in front at speed. I'm being harsh - but compared to a Viper its chalk and cheese, these dinosaurs are no match in any department - but to many they're good investments, they're just not good road cars.

But add a few modern technology bits to them and bring them up to date and they are a lot of fun. But then they don't fetch much... so its fun vs value.... I'd choose fun and leave the investments to more serious pursuits like property, but that's just me. Good luck to those who have this car collection hobby! It'd be sad if no originals were left... but I gotta tell you, if I had one, I'd be hated because I wouldn't hesitiate to cut it and make it better. In fact one of my future projects is to build a 72 Road Runner with carbon fibre panels and cage it, tub it etc and make it go, stop & corner like it'll look, running all aluminum 572 Mopar wedge power! Maybe EFI... I'll see.

oops... I think I've just turned the thread down a side street... sorry about that... no offence meant... and I hope you find the car you're looking for and enjoy it to the max!

Enthusiast

A car is only original once..end of story. Clones will always be just that, a copy of an original. Not that I have any problem with people building clones as a matter of fact my brother specializes in Mopar restorations and he is very pleased with the resurgance of the Mopar popularity. He is involved in many projects and he also owns a hemi clone which is built to exacting specifications of an original. Having said that when you sit in, or drive in, his original 3000 mile Hemi 4-sp Challenger you know there is something special. Almost like you are seeing a ghost. When you understand all of the history behind making these very special, very rare, American muscle cars you can understand more why they are commanding such high prices. To see one that is as it rolled off the line is hard to explain, just makes me smile.

Enthusiast

Thank god for my Cuda..What a nightmare to get parts. Thanks to YearOne I got most of my parts and from swap meets. It took me 4 years to get the car to be in this condition. Lemon twist yellow with the 440 hockey stick emblem running down the side. I will take some pics and post them soon.. Now if it were a Chevy, a dime a dozen. You can get any part for a Camaro or vette with no problems. Also very cheap.....

VCA Member
    Arizona
    Former National President

Russell Myers rmyers@echoweb.net

Viper Owner

Russ Meyer the director?