Spark Plug Routing

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of replacing the plug wires on my '01 RT10. The new wires are routed based on the Viper Service manual diagram. However, the routing does not seem correct. Can someone please help me out ASAP with the correct routing of the plug wires between cylinder and the ignition pack...

Rocketchef3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not Know what the service manual says for the 01 but about a year ago I helped my buddy change the wires on his 99 GTS. I don't remember who posted this diagram on this site it's been a while now but I copied it to help us and as I recall it was right.

Back of Viper

COIL
bottom,- 8 10 2 4 6
top,-- 9 5 3 7 1

10 E 9
-8 N 7
-6 G 5
-4 I 3
-2 N 1
-- E

Front of Viper

Wire Holders

2 4 / Engine / 3 1
6 8 10 / / 9 7 5

OP
OP
M

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information. Thank you Steve for talking with me on phone while looking at your car. I'm all set and wires are correctly routed now. Great to hear the purrrr of the motor. Absolutely no thanks to DC's terrible routing diagram in Secton 8I of the Viper service manual. The contacts on the ignition packs are not drawn in the correct prospective to the motor. The contacts on each ignition pack are transposed and flipped top to bottom row.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great to hear it's running well, Mike...and good to speak with you...now, if we can just have some decent weather...

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, care to toss out some hints on changing them?

Going to put some news ones on my OEM 97 wires as well.
Did you remove the black wiper "cowl cover" to get better access or just wing it wire by wire and "change by feel"?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GenXgts,
1. Yes, remove the wipers, and the windshield cowl. This gives access, AND with a mirror, you can read the terminal numbers stamped onto the coil packs.
2. Un-route ONE wire at a time, route the new wire to replace it plugging it into the coil pack first.
Piece of cake.

Later,

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put new plugs and wires in today. Went pretty smooth for a novice. I have a problem. I went with the MSD 8.5 mm and they dont fit in the original wire looms. Is ther a replacement for teh larger diameter wires? If no, ** do you keep the wires off the heat sheilds? Thanks.

Kurt

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) I posted the schematics Rocketchef3 speaks off. I'm glad it has help some people, and I promise you it is correct for a 1998 GTS. Not sure about all the other years.

2.) I used the 8.5 Mopar wires. Putting them in the looms (dry) was almost impossible (much cursing). Therefore, I put an extremely small amount of vasoline on the wire where it squezes into the loom. Worked like a charm. Wiped off any excess vasoline after installation. Try it, it will work, and your cursing will be cured!!!

Later