Roe Supercharger Before and After Dyno Results

S

SUN RA KAT

I went to the dyno this afternoon and my Viper made 580.4 HP and 607.6 pound/feet torque (SAE corrected). Flywheel numbers range from 666 HP to 680 HP - I predicted 675 HP before the test today. I think if there had been time for another run those numbers would have been higher by about 10 in each category.

My non supercharged numbers were 436.1 HP and 480.6 pound/feet torque.

The increase is 144.3 HP and 127 pound/feet torque at 5 pound boost.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SAE corrected Rear Wheel Measurement

Before
After

221.6 HP @ 2800 RPM
324.0 HP @ 2800 RPM

412.8 pound/feet @ 2800 RPM
603.5 pound/feet @ 2800 RPM

2800 RPM is used much, much more by me than the following peak numbers. Note the RPM at which they occur, both Before the Roe Supercharger and After the superchager.

436.1 HP @ 5300 RPM
580.4 HP @ 5700 RPM

480.6 pound/feet @ 4250 RPM
607.6 pound/feet @ 2950 RPM

The After numbers, especially the HP measurement are probably really 10 units higher because of the proximity to the dyno cut off at the low end (torque) and high end (HP). The high end looks like the dyno pull ended at 5750 RPM. The low end looks like the pull started at 2800 RPM.

I'll try to post the graph of the Before and After dyno runs superimposed real soon.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best numbers I've seen on an '00+ Roe s/c car. Hooray for the VEC2 and congrats to Kenny.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very good Kenny. Since I am still running the stock TBs I expect a few horsepower and lb.ft/torque less than your are pulling. I am guessing that you used the dyno down by
Centerville High School. I will probably use him to check mine next month. Congratulations on a nice running machine.
Tony

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Kenny, now you can change that plate ;) What exact mods do you have btw, I am strongly considerin a supercharger :)

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny - I am curious if you have headers / full exhaust on the car. I am wondering if the peak HP RPM is down a little due to exhaust restriction. It could be cam / head flow related as well. Assuming you have a full-boat exhaust it would be interesting to me to spend some of your money for 1.7 rockers on the exhaust side to see if the peak HP numbers go up as well as seeing the Peak HP RPM go up. :D

Very impressive for something that one can bolt on in the driveway to be sure!!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Kenny, now you can change that plate ;) What exact mods do you have btw, I am strongly considerin a supercharger :)

As posted earlier on another topic

"SUN RA KAT what mods did you have installed before adding the Supercharger?"

Belanger Headers
Random Tech Ultra High Flow Cats
Corsa 3" Cat Back
Roe Clutch Adjust
Roe Fan Timer
Roe Radiator Hoses
Roe 70 mm Air Box
Roe 70 mm Smooth Tubes
Roe 70 mm Throttle Bodies
Roe 180 Degree Thermostat
S&B Air Filters
Woodhouse Modified Shifter
MGW Shift Knob, and other Goodies
EBC Green Brake Pads
Lightweight Flywheel
North California Viper Club Floor Mats & Spare Tire Cover
Northwind 2" Seat Lowering Kits on both seats
Zaino
Roe VEC1 - replaced by the Roe VEC2, but will be installed in my Dodge Ram truck soon
Roe Smooth Tubes - replaced by Roe 70 mm Smooth Tubes
Magnacore 8.5 mm Spark Plug wires
Centerville Jazz Band Stuffed Bear wearing a Yellow shirt rides facing backwards under the back hatch on top of the N.California Viper Club spare tire cover. My daughter was the band's electric bassist for 4 years (she graduates in June). It is an over 190 member high school marching band & one of the best in the country.

I think this list is pretty complete, but there may be an item or two that I forgot to include. The 70 mm stuff, radiator hoses, and 180 degree thermostat weren't installed until the Roe Supercharger was installed.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's quite a list. I'm jealous. Can't wait for my turn to get in on that kind of action. Yeah baby - aftermarket, aftermarket! Go! Go!! Go!!!
-Daffy

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

What's really amazing is that except for a slight whistling at low RPMs, there is nothing to make you think there is a supercharger at work under the hood. My car drives smoother than stock - it just feels like a much bigger engine is under the hood.

I warmed my car up yesterday before the dyno run and it pulls very easily in 6th gear starting at 45 MPH! Even at that low RPM many normal cars would have trouble keeping up with me and I was at light part throttle. Driving more normal and keeping the RPMs from 1400 to 2400 RPM in lower gears is like having an automatic transmission because I don't have to downshift to go faster quickly - all it takes is a little more pressure from my right foot. The roads in Ohio still have way too much salt left over from the last several snows to really use the lower 3 gears - I'll wisely wait for clean roads before frolicking in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears.

I tried to find the dyno graph that Sean Roe posted showing the improvement of 1.7 roller rockers over the stock rockers, but I couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure there was substantial improvement around 2800 RPM and over 25 HP improvement at top end. When the roads are clean I regularly frolic in the lower gears to 2800 - 4000+ RPM, but so far only at part throttle because I try to drive smoothly and by the time I get the Snake Pedal 2/3 of the way to the floor mat I'm already too much over the speed limit.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Kenny,

The 1.7 rockers added another 10-12 ft/lbs of torque throughout the entire RPM range and 26 horsepower peak (rear wheel numbers). Your numbers are actually stronger than our 1996 GTS "pre-VEC2" numbers.

Glad to hear you're getting a chance to get out and enjoy your mods.

Sean

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting ready to install my ROE SC this weekend! I let everyone know how it works out.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Roe S/C on a heads/cam car???

Off the top of my head, I know of two Roe/heads/cam cars (EdmontonGTS's and Vipermed's) and one Roe/stroker/heads/cam car (Vipermed's other car), plus Larry Macedo is putting a Roe/heads/cam car together right now. Scott (Vipermed) got something like 724 rwhp out of his '01 car (not the stroker) at only 5,300? rpm (something was choking up at that point, maybe the stock throttle bodies), and before the VEC2. AND with the standard 5 lb pulley. So a properly done Roe/heads/cam car with all the standard bolt-ons, VEC2, and possibly some fuel system upgrades should hit 750 rwhp, and maybe a good bit more with the 8lb pulley. :) Testing continues. . . .

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

1TONY1 -

I use Sunoco 94 and had the VEC2 programmed with Sean's 94 octane VEC2 card.

I learned some stuff from Sean after the run -

My first 2 runs produced lots of black smoke even though I drove it for an hour before the dyno run. I just didn't drive it hard enough to get the spark plugs clean. I will probably do a dyno run with 104 octane unleaded racing gas and Sean's 100 octane VEC2 card. I will also do some frolicking around 5000-6000 RPM to make sure my engine is clean before the dyno run. And also let it cool down to normal temperatures before going to the dyno.

I also will pump up my rear tires to 36 psi for less sidewall flexing in order to get a more accurate & higher result.

The other things were done - remove floormat to make sure the Snake Pedal goes all the way down, hood partially raised to get a good flow of air to the radiator and to cool the engine compartment, & smoothing done to dyno curve so the little curves are the little curves that you see in dyno graphs posted a lot here - as part of the dyno run by Colletti Motorsports, but you might want to make sure wherever you do your dyno run at does the same.

Doing a dyno run produces a lot of engine heat, so the more prepared you are the better your results will be - we waited for about an hour after the several dyno runs that we did when I first got there before the supercharger cooled down enough that you could put your hand on the top of it without saying, "OW! That's too hot." Then came the awesome 580 rwHP & 607 rwTorque run. The RPMs come up so fast that it's hard to press all the right buttons so the RPM range of 2000-2500 to 6000 comes up on the dyno read. Ending the run at exactly 6000 RPM is especially hard because it comes so quick and you don't want to go to 6200 RPM and go into the PCM rev limiter and if you end it at anything below 6000 RPM will result in power that wasn't measured.

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny:

Some awesome numbers and great mods! Maybe I should have gone with the Yell-OH.

The gentleman working next to me was in the Centerville band until '96.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Here's the dyno of before and after. Notice that the Torque (right) side has the numbers in a different position than the Horsepower (left) side.

195100_0162.JPG