Having trouble with side pipe covers

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my sidepipe covers painted last fall and they turned out nice. As the car sat this winter the driver side started to bubble in spots. I took the cover off and took it back to the body shop, they say that there is pin holes in the aluminum and had to weld in new aluminum in the bad area's. Why did it only happen on one side and if there were holes then why didn't they bubble before?

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy. The one side wasn't prepped right and a spot of corrosion was overlooked or not properly fixed, etc. and was subsequently primed and topcoated. Now , months later, the corrosion has come back. It is gonna be a real difficlut one to prove and most body shops won't cover rust/corrosion problems after a few months after the repair work is done. Read the fine print on a body shop's receipts etc. There usually is a statement about rust repair is on;y guaranteed for 6 months etc. If rust/corrosion isn't fixed right and totally removed it will blister through again.

OP
OP
V

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are going to fix it for no charge, but just like you said if it isn't done right I will just have the same problem again. The next time it happens I will have to battle with them, if you know what I mean.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have had me do them!! Sounds like the shop did not get the al oxide out orginally! Do a search on my name for a thread I posted a couple months back regarding repairing these

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235