ATTN - Silver Viper Owners (front fascia repainted)!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering getting my front fascia repainted in the near future, and struck upon an idea, which I thought I'd propose to fellow Silver Viper owners. I've had some touch-up work done before on my car by a local Viper owner's paint & body shop, and at the time, was told not to wax the newly painted area for a month to allow it to cure. That was all well and good, since it was just a chip on the lip of my trunk lid, but in the case of the front fascia, I'd hate to have it repainted and drive around with it for a month before waxing it (or to not drive it around at all?!) - that would sort of defeat the purpose. So here's my proposal (hopefully there is some interest):

I propose that we Silver owners get a used front fascia, have it repainted, then ship it around to whoever needs it while theirs is getting repainted and the paint is curing (thus you can drive your car in the meantime, and wax your pristine front fascia once the month is up). I assume the 98/99 RT/10 and GTS front fascias are the same, but if not, please let me know. Used front fascias seem to run about $500, and it doesn't have to be perfect, just something Silver that's decent to have on your car for a month. If it needed to be painted (i.e., wasn't silver already), that'd be about $500 more. So if 10 owners got in on this for about $100 apiece (plus shipping for your turn of use), then that'd be fairly cheap, and people wouldn't have to choose between driving their car for a month with the new one unwaxed or not driving their car at all. Finally, if there is a silver owner out there with an extra front fascia, that'd be even better.

Thoughts? Interest?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad idea Slaughter, if I had a Silver car I'd be in.

How about we do the same with a Roe SC on a monthly basis?

You Silver guys could keep it on 31 day months, the Blues run quick enough!!!:D

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like that idea. Since I am a nice guy I will only keep the super charger on the months with 28 days. :)

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seems like others with other color vipers (esp. red) could very readily set up something similar...

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few problems.

The 98 and 99 facia are slightly different, the 99's do not have fog light covers.

Why not just paint the facia and put stone protectant on it, then you never have to worry about painting it again.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few problems.

The 98 and 99 facia are slightly different, the 99's do not have fog light covers.

Good point, thanks.

Why not just paint the facia and put stone protectant on it, then you never have to worry about painting it again.

That's not sufficient for the abuse mine suffers. Plus, I've looked at several versions of those, and not been pleased with any of them.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the idea and since im already buying some used parts (ive got an extra dash, set of wheels, door panels, console, and some others) i would go in on this. my buckets nose needs some touch as it is so say when and ship that b*tch up here, LOL.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the idea and since im already buying some used parts (ive got an extra dash, set of wheels, door panels, console, and some others) i would go in on this. my buckets nose needs some touch as it is so say when and ship that b*tch up here, LOL.

H*ll, we get 3 more, it still works out to a reasonable amount :) Keep an eye out for a cheap used front fascia, esp. silver.

SNK BIT in WA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call Sal Zanio if I were you... I spoke to him about this last summer after my hood was repainted...

It's not a problem using his products.

Mark

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a Silver car myself and knowing the superiority of said car. My comment was going to be how could this happen
since you should clearly be in front of all other colors.

Then I realized some Silver owners Road Race and for a brief
time during the lapping process could get some debris damage.

I like the idea but having your own back-up would probably
be better.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are TWO noses on Ebay. I AM BIDDING ON ONE SO DON'T OUT BID viperracer92!!!!!!!!!!

Happy bidding otherwise.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are TWO noses on Ebay. I AM BIDDING ON ONE SO DON'T OUT BID viperracer92!!!!!!!!!!

Happy bidding otherwise.

No prob Jeff :) Thanks for the info. I've avoided bidding on things on ebay from others I knew from this site before actually ;)

Reaction score
How long does it take to get the front fascia painted anyways? Maybe a day if not two days tops! These days ALL the main body shops and paint booths have a special computer that scans the original color from the fascia and or the hood to get a EXACT match for the new fascia. Reason I know this is USAFBADASP from the board had his Green RT front fascia and side sills painted at my dad's body shop back last year and they scanned the original fascia color and made an exact match for his. His turned out perfect! Just a thought though.