Autovation pedals installed

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I had to tap the bolts into the pedals. Spruces things up a bit....

180IM000345a-med.JPG

Clutch pedal looks higher, because its closer to the camera. Brake and gas are set equal depth for heel-toeing.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE: Clutch pedal looks higher because its closer to the camera...

No freak'n way it's the same height. I think it's off by an inch as a CONSERVATIVE estimate! Seriously Vic, they look very nice! I've got the ZAF's and am pleased with how they look as well, but I think those are sharper.

BIRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put mine on Saturday and love the look. I do however have to modify or throw away the gas pedal before I kill myself.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
QUOTE: Clutch pedal looks higher because its closer to the camera...

No freak'n way it's the same height. I think it's off by an inch as a CONSERVATIVE estimate!

ha ha, very funny! :D

The Autovation pedals are centered on the stock pedal base. I never noticed how different the elevation of the stock pedal bases were, until these bright pedal treads caught my eye.

Is your clutch pedal closer to the seat, like mine is? I'm pretty sure that they put the depth of the brake and gas equal, for heel-toeing, and the clutch pedal just has a longer travel, hence its closer to the seat. One time I heard a poster talking about how he disengaged the brake pedal from the adjustment screw, and set it back at the same depth as the gas pedal for heel-toeing, so maybe some Vipers don't already come this way.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Put mine on Saturday and love the look. I do however have to modify or throw away the gas pedal before I kill myself.

Maybe you could just move the gas pedal a bit towards the right?

Or wear narrower shoes! :p

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine on and took the gas pedal back off as the distance between the brake and gas pedal is too close for street driving (just fine for the track)

You will hit the gas too easy when braking and it could cause a safety issue. I know...I did it a lot when I first drove the car after the install. It made me very nervous.

here is a pic of the shiny ones on my GTS. I am going to machine the gas pedal down so the extra on the left will be gone.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
They look good, where did you get them?

autovation

Go to products, then dodge, then viper.

The mounting holes overlap the weld on the backside of the pedal base, where it is welded to the pedal arm. So I couldn't through-bolt mine, cause the bolts supplied weren't long enough to extend past the weld radius. So I tapped the pedal base, and screwed the pedals directly to the base, no lock nuts. Not a big deal.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Adam, I think so, because all the force is still applied to the metal pedal base, just like it was before. The four 8/32 screws just hold the aluminum pedal tread centered. The aluminum tread itself doesn't have anything to do with the applied pedal force, except that it becomes a sandwhich between your foot and the pedal. The worst case is the off-set load on the gas pedal, because of the heel-toe extension on the lower left side. But the gas pedal doesn't take much force anyhow. I haven't tried mine on the track, so I can't swear by 'em.

I'm sure you can break 'em somehow, maybe like if you get your foot caught up between the pedals or something. There is a little over-hang of aluminum tread, that extends slightly past the steel pedal base, and maybe if you apply a lot of braking force on this edge, you could chip off a chunk. I dunno.

I just bought 'em so people would think I heel-toe everywhere I go. :cool:

Toby's are the shiney milled finish, mine are the glass beaded finish ones.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think that they will hold on the track?

I've had mine installed since last summer and have had several track days with them. They work fine. Dave Jenkins installed mine (bought from Apex). I took the gas pedal off because it was too wide and the extra thickness and angle made it hard to heel/toe when braking HARD. The wider brake pedal was enough for me to heel/toe with the stock gas pedal. Later I had Dave shim up the brake pedal so it was more level with the gas pedal when braking HARD. It should be noted that Dave removed the rubber pedal covers before installing the aluminum pedals. Maybe this contributed to the difference in height problem I had with the aluminum gas pedal since it was installed over the plastic stock pedal.

I bought the pedals specifically because I had a hard time heal/toeing my 01 GTS. The pedals were too far apart to use the "rolling ankle" method, and my knee would hit the steering wheel when using the traditional "ball of foot on brake, heel on gas" method. The new pedals made this much easier. I've also since lowered the seat 1" and my knee no longer hits the steering wheel. I have the shiny pedals and as far as the look and quality... I've seen better. The Gemballa pedals on my Porsche are very nice, but at a much higher cost. But who cares what they look like at the track anyway... right :laugh:

Vic, haven't seen you around in a while. When you comming out to play?

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I dunno, Craig, I barely have time for the necessary things in my life, as it is. The track could become an all-consuming passion, and as much as I love it, it would swallow me up whole. My kids would grow up without a daddy, wife would get pregnant by the milkman, you know....

Maybe this California Speedway coming up, since thats' where I left off in my brief track "carreer" with a failed water pump, last time.

Congrats on your Buttonwillow run, its good to see you kickin' *** again, like I know you can!