Trans/Rear-end Information Needed, Please Help!

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is someone is our region who has spent probably around $100k making a very quick Miata. I don't know all the specifics but every time he added more power more stuff would start breaking under the load. Sounded like a never ending project... I believe he has a T-56 at this point, but not certain, could have been a T-45 instead.

Good luck!
-W

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't they use to toss in 5.0 Mustang motors in Miatas, a nd dub them monster miatas??

Strap a procharger onto the 5.0 and that thing would rock.
400+ horse in what 2800 pounds, yikes......

Good luck, I am no expert on rear ends (at least on cars, :laugh: ), and could offer nothing but rehased info, although several 800 horse cars on this board with stock OEM rear ends other than upgrading the weak factory half-shafts, so you must be on to something!

take care,

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I purchased the 10th Anniversary Miata new at $30k. I have put about $15-20k into the engine. I expect another 10k to get to the final mark. All in all 60k invested over 3-4yrs and will end up with a miata that is able to tear up the drag strip at just over 2,000lbs, as well as, the road races, with its lowered H&R coilovers, chassis stiffining, and more. People pull up to a miata and are not aware of the potential. :) Well hopefully someone can point me in the direction to some of the above information!

Thanks,

WOW only 2000 lbs total. How many HP at the wheels will you end up with?

Reaction score
Wayne, if you are thinking of Rocky's Miata I think the number is closer to 120k. I will see him Tue. If I remember I will ask about the drive line.

His current project is a GT40 kit from South Africa. It may be complete by now.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When that 30 pounds of boost hits, how to you expect to keep the tires hooked? I know people (fly'in Miata) that have problems at 15 psi at the track. Just curious....

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a great looking car David, inside and out. Good luck with it!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) Sounds wicked! The Viper tranny/rear should handle those power levels, no problem. Especially since your power is coming on gradually. For example, I don't expect any problems with my stock tranny/rear, and I will have 600 RW Torque by 2800 RPM.

2.) All OEM Viper differentials are 3.07 gear ratio, although changing this ratio is not a problem. If memory serves 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 ring/pinions are readily available. Also, entirely new differentials can be bought from Mopar with 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10 gears installed. Expect to pay around $1,500 for a completely new Mopar Performance differential.

Good Luck

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Gen1 utilized a Dana 44. The Gen2 cars have the Dana Super 44. The primary difference is the size of the pinion gear and the input shaft.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't the two interchangable? I thought they were, I put in a second rear I bought with the 3.73's and I think I have the super Dana in my 96 R/T.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get the DANA 44 to work in the Super 44 set up. I believe they use a shim tube over the pinion. Just call Unitrax, that is their business. I just did a gear change and they were outstanding to deal with. The standard 44 (small pinion) would scare me on any viper which is raced.

Putting the Supper 44's into a Gen 1 should not be a problem as long as the Gen II housing is used. Maybe someone can comment on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper