Heat around the footwell area

Baddasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any solution for the heat that comes out of the footwells. I have a 99 RT/10 and when the top is off the heat around the footwell area is not that bad. Yesterday I took my car out with the top on and the heat was extremely uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do about this? Any info is appreciated.

thanks in advance

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HF-Cats!

Will help to reach a better sound too :D

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 94 RT. THERE IS 2 SPEAKER GRILLS ON THE HOOD. ONE FOR THE AIR CONDITIONER AND THE OTHER FOR LOOKS TO MATCH. I CUT A HOLE IN THE ONE ON THE DRIVERS SIDE AND FINISHED IT OUT NICELY. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! LIKE NIGHT AND DAY. THE AIR FLOWS SO MUCH BETTER UNDER THE HOOD AND WHEN DRIVING THE ENGINE RUNS COOLER. I WOULD SAY THAT IT CUT THE HEAT ON MY FEET TO ALMOST UNNOTICEABLE.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 94 RT. THERE IS 2 SPEAKER GRILLS ON THE HOOD. ONE FOR THE AIR CONDITIONER AND THE OTHER FOR LOOKS TO MATCH. I CUT A HOLE IN THE ONE ON THE DRIVERS SIDE AND FINISHED IT OUT NICELY. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! LIKE NIGHT AND DAY. THE AIR FLOWS SO MUCH BETTER UNDER THE HOOD AND WHEN DRIVING THE ENGINE RUNS COOLER. I WOULD SAY THAT IT CUT THE HEAT ON MY FEET TO ALMOST UNNOTICEABLE.

Hmmm, I've never heard that one, but it sounds like a good idea. I guess the gen2 cars already have the vents though. I know removing the cats makes a huge difference. Night and day!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmm, I've never heard that one, but it sounds like a good idea. I guess the gen2 cars already have the vents though. I know removing the cats makes a huge difference. Night and day!

The gen II's don't have theae cut out either. I have seen a couple people on the board do this, but most are very hesitant to cut into a $14000 hood. I have heard it does help a bunch and that you can see the heat rise up from the opening, almost distorting your view.

Mike

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YEAH I KNOW. ITS JUST A HOOD THOUGH. I UNDERSTAND SOME OF THE GUYS HERE ARE VERY ANAL ABOUT THERE CARS LIKE ITS THERE KID! MAN I JUMP IN MINE AND SPIN THE WHEELS AT EVERY CORNER. I LOVE TO DRIVE THE SH## OUT OF IT. IT BREAKS GET IT FIXED. IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO FIX IT YOU PROBABLY SHOULDNT HAVE IT. I DONT KNOW HOW SOME OF THESE GUYS HERE HAVE AWESOME VIPERS AND DONT DRIVE THEM OR PUTT AROUND LIKE GRANDMA. IT TOTALLY DEFEATS THE PURPOSE! THESE CARS WERE MAD TO DRIVE HARD. HELL MINE LOOKS LIKE THE INSIDE OF A 78 DART. ITS SO PLAIN LOOKING. SO ALL THE MONEY YOU SPENT ON IT HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE. SUSPENSION, ENGINE TRANSMISSION. MADE TO RACE!

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gutted that extra hole in the hood. If done properly, you won't tell the difference. I even installed a mesh covering on the inner hood to hide it better.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sparky and Vip-RT/10,

How did you put the hole in the hood. Did you go out and buy a 3-4 inch hole saw? Then did you line the edge with some sort of grommet? This sounds like a great idea. What about if you get caught in the rain. Where does the water go? My foot compartment is always warm, and I have Belanger ceramic headers, high flow cats, and Corsa 3" out the back. The engine compartment does seem to always be rather hot. I'm thinking of new thermostat and bigger radiator. But this idea sounds like a pretty quick fix. How much cooler does the engine run? Thanks in advance you two.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading this post from Leonard from TX, I decided to go ahead and cut a hole in the driver side grill of the hood of my 95 R/T. Leonards suggestion seemed to make a lot of sense and since there was already a water drain hole in the grill, I figured that if Dodge wasn't worried about water entering the engine bay, I shouldn't worry either. After surveying the situtation, this is the procedure I used:

1. Remove the grill - 4 screws from the unerside. Cover the engine bay and the balance of the car with a drop cloth to keep off the work dust.

2. Cut away the hood insulation on the drivers side to match the insulation cutaway on the passenger side. You can make a template from the passenger side and use this if you are anal like me.

3. Use a compass or other round object 4" - 5" in diameter to draw a circle in the grill opening on the top side of the hood to match the location on the other side. I used a 5" circle figuring....bigger is better! Be careful to locate this circle so that it allows at least 3/8" clearance or more from the edge of the grill cover.

4. Drill four 1/16" pilot holes (12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock) on the edge of the circle from the top side of the hood to use as referance points from the underside. Be careful not to let your drill bit skip over the paint!

5. From the underside, locate the four pilot holes. Take a piece of white chalk to draw the circle using a template to match the diameter of the circle drawn on the top side. You may need to use a free hand on the uneven portions of the underside when drawing the circle. Take your time on this step ensuring the circle is not outside the grill area! Check 4 or more times to be sure you have it right. A mistake here would be a hard pill to swallow!

6. Drill a hole just inside the chalk line circle using progressively larger drill bits until you can easly fit an electric sabre saw blade through the whole. Sharp drill bits are a must!

6. FROM THE UNDERSIDE OF THE HOOD, carefully cut just inside the circle with the sabre saw (medium tooth blade) from both directions until the hole is completed. Take your time, stopping occasionaly to check your work from the top side. You may need more than one blade to complete the job. Wear eye protection and a dust mask - VERY dusty and messy!!

7. Use a half round wood file from the top side to even out the circle so that it is perfectly round. Again, be sure not to go outside of the grill cover area.

8. Use quick setting two part expoxy to coat the cut edges from the top and bottom. Not sure if this is recquired, but felt it couldn't hurt to strenghthen the edge and to keep any moisture out of the freshly cut edge.

9. Cut a piece of 5/16" black rubber hose to length and carefully slit it down one side using a razor blade. (I found this part to be the trickiest part of the job!) Good thing rubber hose is cheap and readily available at the local hardware. Fit the rubber hose over the edge and cut it to length so that it fits snugly around the cutout. The hose seemed to easily go over the thinner and thicker portions of the cutout with no problem. The hose finished off the edge giving it a factory appearance.

10. Use black silicone rubber sealant by 3M to secure the rubber hose from the underside. In addition, seal the opening between the hood and the insulation with the black sealant so that the heat from the engine compartment will flow directly through the hole and not between the insulation and the hood. This step also finishes off the underside of the hood area nicely.

11. Clean the grill area and install the grill covering using the 4 screws. Take your time as these screws tend to fall into the openings, have a few extra "black screws" just in case.

The job took about 3-4 hours taking my time to measure once, twice, three and a fourth time time to ensure that I was drilling and cutting in the correct area. The finished project looks great (sorry no pictures available). The outside temperature was in the 30's and the heat from the engine bay was definately exiting this hole. It seemed that the temp guage was also registerring lower than normal.

I am hoping that this will help lower the heat in the footwell area. If not, the drivers side grill area definetly looks much better!! THANKS FOR THE TIP -Leonard from TX :usa:

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the footwell heat a problem in all vipers? Only RT's? Some RT's, but not all? I'd like to know about the heat problem as it relates to what years of Vipers and how it affects RT's vs GTS's. Thanks

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy solution for the heat is to get rid of the cats or replace them with high flow catalytic converters. The catalyst placement is common to all Vipers so the heat situation is essentially the same.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the questions....no, no gromlet used, but used touchup paint to paint the new bare surface. After that, I also pu in a mesh screen on the inner part of the hood to better hide the big hole left behind. The water would drain right onto the clutch reservoir and closer to the metal housing by the wiper motors. You can actually see the heat come out of the hole. I did use a 3 inch hole saw.I'll be more than glad to answer any questions.
I would do steps 1, 2, 9 - 10 that RT/Ed posted. If you remove the inner hood pad (mine didn't have one) you can see that the hood already has a circular shape to it. All you have to do is center the drill bit in the middle of the hole and drill.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT/ED- thanks for the great info. Will look forward to someone giving some actual metrics as to how much of a help the extra vent is.

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went for a beach cruise this weekend and must do something about the Footwell heat. Have Belangers,HF cat and Corsa exhaust. Has the hood vent mod worked? I am thinking of pulling the carpet and putting in the Heat shield/sound deadner from QuietRide Solutions. I know Vipers should not be driven slow but checkin out the beach calls :cool: Southern California is nice this time of year!
Thanks

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also cut a hole under the drivers side "speaker grille" and as others have said, it makes
a hell of a difference. I also pop riveted some good DEI heat shielding under the
aluminum footwell heat guards. This also works well. I can't see any reason not to
do this unless you plan to drive in the rain. Very easy to do and looks fine.
There are several posts on this subject that are only a few days old. Good luck!