Wanting to purchase gears

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My next step is to upgrade the gears. I am looking for advice on what name brand and who can give me the best bang for my buck. I want to go with either the 3:45 or 3:54 range. Any feedback on my choice??

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Jon B @ Parts Rack and he will have them shipped to Unitrax in Anaheim. Drop off your car at 9 AM and pick it up by 3 PM. Should be around $1K out the door. Good luck. I have the 3.55 gears in my RT/10 and like the "pull" factor.
-Jonathan

OP
OP
N

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people have been steering me towards 3.73's. What are the pro/cons of 3.73 to 3.55?? I am not looking to track the car, just simple street thrashing and some canyon running.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people have been steering me towards 3.73's. What are the pro/cons of 3.73 to 3.55?? I am not looking to track the car, just simple street thrashing and some canyon running.

From what I've read here, the higher the gears are above 3.55, the greater the difficulty of hooking up, especially if you have any engine mods that increase the torque. I've also read that if you have a supercharger, it is often better to leave the gears stock because a supercharger increases the torque so much that you can't get the power to the ground. That's what I've read.
You must be registered for see images

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From what I've read here, the higher the gears are above 3.55, the greater the difficulty of hooking up, especially if you have any engine mods that increase the torque. I've also read that if you have a supercharger, it is often better to leave the gears stock because a supercharger increases the torque so much that you can't get the power to the ground. That's what I've read.

Not difficult to hook up when you're running on Kumho V700! Hook up great and at a recent track event I got a 1.79 60' time, but I know there is a 1.6 in my future. :cool: :cool: 3.73's are great for the street, but if you go with any power adders(NOS/Roe S/C) you will want to go back to stock. I do like mine though. :usa: :usa:

Mike

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive always heard anything above 3:73 is not good but two guys in my town run 4:10 and do just fine. me personally i got 3:55 thats just my preference as i think its a bit better on long drives which i do as much as possible

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but he said "I am not looking to track the car, just simple street thrashing and some canyon running." So does this not mean he would be running on stock tires? And so with 3.73 gears, would stock tires have trouble hooking up? From what I've read, that seems to be the general consensus.

OP
OP
N

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the info guys!! I guess I will have to buy one of each, and depending on the mood I am in that day, I will swap the 3.55's for the 3.73's, but when I want to use the s/c I will swap back to the 3.07's.
Just being a smart***, Thanks for all the input. I probably will do the 3.55's unless I hit the lotto, then a s/c will be on order.
Going cruising tomorrow morning with another Viper owner, any of you socal guys live near me and want to go?? Sorry short notice.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Niz, what wax are you using on that paint?

Nice avatar!

OP
OP
N

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I am suprised at how good the pic looks, but it is decieving. The previous owner must have only ran it through nothing but car washes. There are thousands of small scratches on it. I have a lot of buffing and rubbing to do. :confused:
I would like to take credit but not yet.
Thanks for the compliment.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also just installed 3.55s in my R/T10.

I had put 4.10s in my last Corvette and it was hard to keep from spinning the tires in lower gears, and spinning=slower.

Also I think that you could live with 3.55s and a blower or other HP mods, but not with 3.73s.

Just make sure that you get the gears installed by professional differential installers, and follow the break-in procedures well.

I put in new Unitrax gears a couple months ago and they burned up within 500miles. I think that it was poor installation, but they said that it was improper break-in driving.

Either way, they covered the labor and I bought a new set of gears. And this time I babied the car. I have about 100 break-in miles left now before I can drive it normally.

-Dean.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unitrax says break in for 500 miles and then change the rear oil.
I have 3.55 in my 94RT. That's all you need. The 3.73 makes first gear really short. I think the 3.07 is not enough and the 3.73 is too much. Go with the 3.55 from Unitrax.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Niz, sweet avatar!! Looks badasp for sure.....

While gears may give a SOTP improvement I just have a hard time spending mod money on something that doesn't improve performance.

On most cars gears will net you a few tenths no questions asked, with a traction limited Viper with 3.07 gears, adding more oomph to the mix doesn't help things.

I've had roll ons several times (and dozens of 1/4 mile passes) against a Viper with gears and it was a toss up either way, not a distinct advantage even when traction is not an issue, ie 50 mph roll ons.

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.73's on my 97 GTS and love them. I really like the short 1st gear, it really moves. With a Viper, you're always gonna have a problem hooking up anyway, you gotta just live w/ it. I've never taken it to the track yet, hopefully sometime soon. Any advice for a new track guy?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456