deciding between a 1996 rt10 or a 1996 GTS

Car Lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I am planing to buy a Viper, possibly one of two 1996 models. One is an RT10 with 17000km's, 2500km's ago it had a genII engine installed under warranty. does this effect the future value? and It's white....is this color popular. The other car is a 1996 GTS with 65,000kms is this milage high and does it effect the value, if so buy how much? Is a GTS worth more than an RT10 of the same year and does the milage difference change things. Any advice will help. Both are one owner cars. Thanks

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
purely a matter of taste. those with it chose RT10's others choose GTSs. (ohhh im in trouble now, LOL)

seriously though, a white RT10 is a rare even amongst an already rare car like the viper. it has those odd styled blue stripes right?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard choice! They both have good qualities. All things equal, I'd say definitely choose the GTS, but they aren't. That's a lot of kms on the GTS. I guess that translates to just under 40k miles? The other one is relatively low. Your choice! I think I might lean towards the R/T.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am planing to buy a Viper, possibly one of two 1996 models. One is an RT10 with 17000km's, 2500km's ago it had a genII engine installed under warranty. does this effect the future value? and It's white....is this color popular. The other car is a 1996 GTS with 65,000kms is this milage high and does it effect the value, if so buy how much? Is a GTS worth more than an RT10 of the same year and does the milage difference change things. Any advice will help. Both are one owner cars. Thanks

You asked about future value and you also asked if white is a popular color.

IMO get what YOU like and keep it for a Loooooooooon time. The car is not an investment.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cdn car?????

Do tell, they are a rare breed over here, 100 a year from 96-02, give or take.

96 Rt/10 would have "Gen 1.5" suspension correct?

Be concerned on the new motor on the 96 and it was not beat or abused, or the rest of the car is surely soon to follow the original motor. Let what you want rule first, then go for condition, maintenance. Miles are not that big of a deal.

Good case for a low mile car to have more problems from non-use!

OP
OP
C

Car Lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
say it's not beat....the numbers no longer match....does that effect the purchase price. As for the GTS it's one of the first 40 produced could that make up for the higher milage. I guess to me it's a lot of money, I like both cars and just want to make the right choice.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If resale value is the big deal here then the one with a non-matching-numbers engine is going to be worth a lot less than one with 40,000 miles on it.
You must be registered for see images

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously the numbers don't match if the motor has been replaced. Well, neither of them sounds particularly appealing to me, but if you want a car to drive and have fun with, they might be perfect. I'm sure either one should be fairly affordable, and still great cars. Collectiblity shouldn't be your first concern if you buy either of these, but for just about every other reason, I say go for it. You'll love it!

OP
OP
C

Car Lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
genxgst
Any way to verify that the RT10 is not beat.....what should I look for. I guess if the GTS has 65km's on it, looks perfect and has records it must be O.K. you'd think serious problems would have shown up by now.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, if you don't want to spend a ton, and you still want a Viper, it could be perfect. Ya know? It obviously wouldn't be worth as much, but hey, it's perfect for somebody!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Rt do the usual inspect of the caliper (non white lettering on Viper on caliper, not a good sign!).

Email me an email of yours that can take large files and I'll shoot you the Road and Track article on what to look for on a Viper, a good read.

The recall work is always a good tell tale. Was the bigger recall needed, that would be a tip off that the car was driven hard. If only the reinforcing recall then no stress cracks anywhere pre-recall, a good sign.

I am assuming the recall hits all 96 cars (998&999 recall numbers), do a search on that if you are not aware of the recent recall, ,it hit my 97 GTS.

So are you in Canada when you are mentioning kilometers or what???

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are an extremely exciting thing. When you finally get into a position to start shopping, you can taste it so bad that when you find a Viper that you are interested in (never mind two, as in your case, car lover), it can be very difficult to choose, because when it comes down to it, you just want to have a Viper as soon as possible! But you really just can't let that rush you. You'll end up in trouble that way. Lots of horror stories resulting from being seduced by the Viper. You have to make yourself relax about it so you'll take the proper time to do all the important research so that you don't become a victim.

The Viper forum is a great place to learn just about everything you can think of having to do with Vipers. And all the guys and gals on here are great, being more than willing to answer any and all questions, no matter how many times the same ones get asked. I know this well, since I have been reading for nearly a year, though just a participant as of the end of last year. I am no expert when it comes to Vipers. I don't own a Viper yet. My turn will be next year. Regardless of my Viperless status, I am an avid reader on here, and I participate regularly in discussions, though mostly I am just learning a lot from everyone who has Vipers or experience with Vipers, and so I am constantly taking notes and filing the information away so that I can apply it towards my Viper next year.

Personally, I think that a Viper without its original engine is not a good idea, if resale is important to you. On the other hand, a Viper with a lot of miles on it is not a good idea, if resale is important to you. The bottom line is, if you are concerned with what you will get for it when you sell it, keep looking, because both these 1996 Vipers are not a good idea, again, if resale is a concern. But if resale is not a concern, hell, both Vipers are in the same boat, and so it comes down to personal preference - provided you inspect both, and both come up clean. A Viper with a non-matching-engine number will totally free you in the area of doing after-market modifications. You won't find yourself battling with doing what you want to make the Viper unique because it already has a different engine, so, so what if you do this or that to it? Have fun with it. Make it yours! A Viper that has high mileage will have to have its engine rebuilt sooner than one with low mileage, but then all Vipers eventually reach that stage, right? So, bearing all this in mind, I think it comes down to personal preference. Unless, of course, resale is a concern, in which case, I think you should keep looking, since both Vipers are at a disadvantage. The important thing is that you not rush into this. Another Viper will come along.
Remember to breathe. Don't let the beast ****** you.

P.S. Another thing that's nice - nay, wonderful! - about the Viper forum is that it's not just a bunch of guys and gals who have nothing better to do than spend time online. It's a place where Viper owners (and even Viper fans who are Viperless) come together, united by the Viper into something closer to a family; a family that really and truly does help each other, including even sticking up for and fighting for each other in times of need. If you've not seen this yet, stick around long enough, you will. I have. It's a grand thing to be a part of something that is more than the sum of its parts. This is the Viper's gift to us. And our gift to the Viper? We keep it alive.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"P.S. Another thing that's nice - nay, wonderful! - about the Viper forum is that it's not just a bunch of guys and gals who have nothing better to do than spend time online. It's a place where Viper owners (and even Viper fans who are Viperless) come together, united by the Viper into something closer to a family; a family that really and truly does help each other, including even sticking up for and fighting for each other in times of need. If you've not seen this yet, stick around long enough, you will. I have. It's a grand thing to be a part of something that is more than the sum of its parts. This is the Viper's gift to us. And our gift to the Viper? We keep it alive."

:crazy: That was touching! I think I may shed a tear! ;)

OP
OP
C

Car Lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On average how many km's before one should expect to rebuild the engine. Also if either car is in the first 10 produced would that effect future value regardless of mileage....I know these questions are sounding similar I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too, Daffy; I'm shedding tears. Seriously though I appreciate your responses; it is evident you spend a lot of time in the forums. In spite of not owning a Viper yet you seem to be quite knowledgeable and willing to share what you have learned. When you get your Viper the membership will have to throw a party for you.

P.S. I agree with your response re subject above.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way to tell if it was an early car is to look at the build date on the car, but even then it really doesn't matter much in terms of price. 65K kms is pretty high for this car so I'd reccommend it goes into a VIper friendly dealership and gets checked out by a viper tech.

Comparing a 96 RT/10 to a 96 GTS is a pretty broad comparison. Aside from the suspension and exhaust it's prety much a GEN1 car, no roll-up windows, soft top and all the other "unique' features of a GEN1 car, not necessarily a bad thing, but with you being on the coast it tends to rain quite a bit. What's the price on the 96 RT/10? I have a line on a 95 RT/10 green with tan interior with 45K KMS for $45K CDN!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to assume that a higher mileage engine will need replacing before a lower mileage motor.

Condition of the car and maintenance is key!!!

I'd much rather buy a car with 5-10K more miles from those that flush their rads every year, change plugs every year, as well as clutch, brake, steering well before the factory recommendations. Compounded by low mileage being added year after year, some cars go 4-5 years before some fluid changes.

I'll take miles from a VCA guy that is in the know (most anyone on this site) over a garage queen anyday, if for no other than head gaskets alone.

My .02, sending email from R&T on buying a Viper over right now, someone else emailed for it and I replied with it thinking it was you.

Take care,

(email doesn't work, came back!)

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Yes, let's have a party when I get my Viper. I'd love that. *grin*

Wouldn't it be so cool if each time a new owner came into their Viper powers the Viper Club of America threw them a party? Heh. In a perfect world, right? That would be a lot of party throwing. But one can never party enough concerning the Viper. May the future be filled with Viper parties!

Regarding whether or not a higher mileage engine needs to be replaced before a lower mileage engine, that certainly depends on how the engine is treated. No doubt about that. My earlier comment of "A Viper that has high mileage will have to have its engine rebuilt sooner than one with low mileage, but then all Vipers eventually reach that stage, right?" was meant to point out that all engines eventually have to be rebuilt, so high mileage doesn't necessarily matter.

And like genXgts pointed out: "I'd much rather buy a car with 5-10K more miles from those that flush their rads every year, change plugs every year, as well as clutch, brake, steering well before the factory recommendations. Compounded by low mileage being added year after year, some cars go 4-5 years before some fluid changes. I'll take miles from a VCA guy that is in the know (most anyone on this site) over a garage queen any day, if for no other than head gaskets alone."

Well said!

OP
OP
C

Car Lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been a Viper lover since the begining and even visited the plant in 2000.....I've tried to learn as much as possible and you know....I've learned more in the last 24hours from all you folks then I have in the last 10years on my own. This is such a great resource....it makes me feel that much better about my interest in these Awesome cars. Thanks everyone and Craig I really want to hear more about the Green RT10.
Dave

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent you an email. I am in the process of getting some more info for ya! The car is in winnipeg. I have always loved the green/tan combo. Should hear from me soon!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh