Viper Driving Feedback From A Corvette Owner

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked a friend of mine who is a die hard Corvette man for years to give me an "honest" evaluation of my 2001 GTS after driving it.
Here goes...

"Tim...I just wanted to say thank you for letting me drive your car. This was the first Viper that I have ever driven, and though I still like my Corvette, it was a great experience. One thing I have always disliked about Vipers from day one was they sound like a four cylinder on steroids. I'm sure a good quality exhaust system will cure that. Getting in and out of it is as bad as my C4, however you seem to be more cramped in the Viper once in. I guess it is the tunnel being so high. The seats were not too bad, they give good lateral support, but for the price of the car they should be all power. I personally would not care about the extra weight...after all it is NOT a race car. The instrumentation is OK, but I personally do not like the white faces. I liked the short stick you had on yours (MGW). I'd imagine the stock stick height would be as uncomfortable as HELL. The car drove nice and the most exciting thing is the torque that the V10 has. It was great having all that pull at your command, however the 3:06 rear would be even nicer if it were a higher gear like a 3:55 or 3:73. What I disliked the most was the pedals, not the closeness to each other, as much as they are offset to the left too much and there is no dead pedal or place to put your foot. I was very concerned about pushing the wrong pedal eveytime I had to shift or brake. I imagine after driving it for awhile foot placement would become second nature. The other concern is the blind spots. I must say it is much worse than my Corvette. This makes for very diligent driving when there is traffic around you. The overall interior could be a little classier, again given the price of the car. However, in this area the Corvette is about as bad.
Overall, it was a blast to drive and I hope you have the best of luck with it."

NJVIPER writing now...The one thing he forgot to write about was the perpetual smile he had on his face the whole time he was behind the wheel. He literally freaked when he felt the torque from this bad boy...like a kid in a candy store.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds to me that the 'vette is the right car for him. It IS a race car ;) (at least that is the way I drive mine).

I have been surprised at how the 'vette community has received my car. Almost all smile and wave; a newer yellow one even pulled up next to me, pointed at my car and held up his trigger finger to signify who was number 1. :cool:

Bill

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend is a C5 owner and he has been very supportive of my buying a Viper GTS. I think that the rift that was between the two might be in the past. He even invited me to go with him to the Corvette show at Budds Chevy May 10th.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is comparing C4 to GTS? He thinks that the gauges look better in C4...he must love 1970's LOL.
I'm shocked that he did not ask about cup holders and heads up disply...for the money LOL

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree about the pedals being second nature after awhile.

When I first test drove a Viper I kind of fumbled a little bit with the pedals and almost missed the brake.

Its been years since I've thought of the pedals. Since I kind of forgot, I guess that means you get used to them.

I still don't feel comfortable wearing sandals or water socks. Some dress shoes also seem to lose some of the pedal feel. Maybe this is why the Viper owners seem so puzzled by the reaction to people when they first drive the Viper.

Half of the experience of driving a Viper comes from the careful modulation of the pedal. You just can't stomp it and go.

Interesting thing about his review is that it sounded painfully honest. Sometimes when you are in positions of authority for too long, people have a bad habit of filtering their comments out in order to say what they think you want to hear.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll see how my Vette buddies treat me this weekend when I show up at their Vette gathering. My Vette won't be ready and actually I was just going to ride with a friend in his Vette but I've been asked by many to drive the SNAKE :)

Both cars are great in my opinion.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does he write for Car & Driver? :D

Joe, that is all the Corvette guys ever say: Exactly what the magazines say. It's amazing. I guess they just brainwash themselves into thinking their cars are the best. The Corvette guys, for the most part, have no clue as to why the Viper is the baddest sportscar on the planet! To each his own I guess.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second that. They list a bunch of crap the Viper purist don't give a **** about and then have one sentence about the torque. LOL

[/QUOTE]

Chuck, I couldn't have said it better!

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now ask yourself...

How many Viper owners have ever asked to drive someone else's Vette? I'd venture to guess the number is very small.

When I got the Viper, I gave my wife the Vette. She traded it in on a Tracker! Really. :laugh:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly, this is just the type of person that SHOULD NOT buy a Viper. They'll just end up complaining about the lack of creature comforts, cupholders, rides too rough, etc. The unfortunate thing is that folks think the Viper and the Vette are PEERS - well, they are not. Personally, the Vette was never on my "others considered" list.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned 4 vettes before my dealer tried to spank me with a 5K$ Premium for a 98 vette convertable that I ordered(after 2 new vettes in as many years). I walked over to my neighborhood Dodge dealer & purchased my new GTS. There is absolutely no comparison. The first road trip I took was to the Vegas VOI & a writter from an enthusiast magazine was my co pilot. He kept commenting on how all the reports were wrong, that after living in the GTS for a few thousand miles he had a much different opinion than his initial impression. Lets face it , according to Corvette quaterly 70% of corvettes sold are automatics. Nuff said.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this before but here it is again.

Went to my friends restaurant and he saw my car. He told me he had bought a new Corvette only 1 week ago.

I let him take my Viper for a ride. When we came back he looked dazed, didn't say anything, just walked back inside the restaurant.

He walks up to his wife and tells here he made a mistake getting the Corvette.

Wonder if anyone has every bought a Viper and said CRAP I wish I had bought a Vette. :)

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just moved up from a yellow 2001 Z06 that I had, and raced many times on road courses, to a yellow 2001 GTS ACR a few weeks ago. I have three track days at Thunderhill so far and over 2,000 miles. Let me offer my impressions.
I was SHOCKED at just how much I love the Viper and how absolutely superior it is in every way except for truck space, creature comforts and gadgets, and BRAKES. But heck, we all knew about all that years ago! As for the pedals being offset, that was a big concern in the past, but after driving mine a few days I do not even NOTICE it! Same re: the lack of dead pedal, which must be nice on the SRT-10 (same re: the great big Brembos) I got tons of compliments at the track last week about just how great my car sounded when I came round the track! That was a few days before I added the highflow cats and Corsa. What are they gonna say now? Handling is very similar to the Z06 - I have been following a similar line at the track with good results, so far. Stop Tech brakes are on the way. Fuel economy is amazingly poor in the Viper - let's hope the gas prices keep coming down!
As for style, gawk factor, etc... no contest. Every time I return to my Viper there is a crowd gathered around it - no kidding.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently sold my Vette to get into the snake and I'm loving it :D I've let 3 of my vette buddies drive the snake and they all loved it. Dont get me wrong, I love the Viper but I do wish the interior could have been done alot better. Oh well cant have both tq and finess in the same car lol :p

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does he write for Car & Driver? :D

Joe, that is all the Corvette guys ever say: Exactly what the magazines say.

Second that. They list a bunch of crap the Viper purist don't give a **** about and then have one sentence about the torque. LOL

It is amazing how Corvette guys constantly quote the magazines. A Corvette friend of mine always saves the magazines for me. He hands them to me with a big smile on his face, 'cause he's just read how great the Vette is. Whatever. To each his own.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently sold my Vette to get into the snake and I'm loving it :D I've let 3 of my vette buddies drive the snake and they all loved it. Dont get me wrong, I love the Viper but I do wish the interior could have been done alot better. Oh well cant have both tq and finess in the same car lol :p

Not true Moundir, Just continue the mods inside...

255ADAMSINTERIORBUILDX0001-med.jpg

255ADAMSINTERIORBUILDX0002-med.jpg

255ADAMSINTERIORBUILDX0003-med.jpg

255ADAMSINTERIORBUILDX0004-med.jpg

OP
OP
N

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to rememember Folks that there are only two types of cars owners...Viper owners and those that want to be!!! :laugh:

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want C5 Vette performance cheap, buy a late-model LS1 Z28 with 50K or so miles on it for less than $10K. Then, for a few thou more, throw on a few bolt-on engine mods and upgrade the brakes, wheels and tires.

Now you can be king of the trailer park, yet with true C5 performance. The back seat you gain will provide extra space to store your patent leather white loafers and "Mr. T starter kit" gold chains so you can still mingle with the 'Vette Set in proper goombah style.

I really would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy...

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez you guys REALLY hate Vettes here. Too bad ... there are some pretty nice Vettes around. I have also found that most of the owners that I have met do not fit the cheesy stereo types that are often spoken of.

I'll be adding a Viper to my garage later this year and must say that I will continue to own a Vette as well. I am pretty disappointed in the general attitude that many of you have on this forum and hope that there is not a swollen head and instant ego enhancement that comes with the owners manual.

I spend time on the Corvette and Z06 forums and find most of the people to be much more "real". The kind of people I could kick back and have a beer with. I am only here because I am adding a Viper and am trying to learn more about the car. The Viper is awsome but, unfortunatley, the attitude that many of you have here *****.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you say you own a Vette.

Hmmmmmmmm never would have guessed it from the tone of your post. :)

Bro this is the internet take a chill it is all in good fun.

Heck look at yourself, you own a Vette and yet you are getting a Viper.

How many people with Vipers go on to then buy a Vette???

Maybe another Viper but not too many I know of get a Vette in addition to their Viper. WHY ?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235