DMV of Ny denied my custom plate :(

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After it being aproved on the website, I get a letter in the mail saying that is denied due that is can be viewed as offensive :mad: the plate I had picked is Bitte Me I know I've seen some similar plates in diff states and I was wondering what I can do about it? :mad:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our state requires and explaination of all requests and allows an appeal.

Does your require an explain? Send a pix of the logo and some Snake-Bitten explaination and a committee might review and change the opinion

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing like that in Ny, I'm gonna call and beg them to allow it lol :eek: I really want that plate :D

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just tell them the truth - that BITTE ME is French for: BOLLARD ME. You should not be made to suffer for their wrongful translation. How can BOLLARD ME be viewed as offensive? Tell them that you feel they are in error, and to please explain in further detail.
You must be registered for see images

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just had BLUEBYU denied because it's already used in IL. I asked for WHUP ASP. I have a feeling they'll deny it. We'll see.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After it being aproved on the website, I get a letter in the mail saying that is denied due that is can be viewed as offensive :mad: the plate I had picked is Bitte Me I know I've seen some similar plates in diff states and I was wondering what I can do about it? :mad:

Bitte Me.......? That means "Thanks Me" in German... what could be offensive about that?

Lance

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my previous employees just got his plate. It reads FSTMOFO. I wouldn't have thought they would let that through but they did. I would talk to Gary A about it. He has been in this situation before and knows the ins and outs.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my previous employees just got his plate. It reads FSTMOFO. I wouldn't have thought they would let that through but they did. I would talk to Gary A about it. He has been in this situation before and knows the ins and outs.

Jason's right. I was once denied "KIKGAS" (kick [******]) for my Harley by the Maryland MVA. The said it was deemed offensive to the general public. I tried to talk them into it to no avail and finally I enlisted the help of the ACLU (never thought I would be on the same side as those guys). After a very well-written letter from the ACLU attorneys (and a few legal threats), the MD MVA backed down and gave me the tag.

The basic argument was that it was not offensive (they gave plenty of examples of the use of "kick [******]" in the mass media) and finally they used the 1st amendment card.

The whole thing made the front page of the local papers and was the subject of a front-page Wall Street Journal article a few years ago.

I say fight it!!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bitte Me.......? That means "Thanks Me" in German... what could be offensive about that?

Yeah, go with that one. That's even better than the French translation. How could they possibly deny something as simple and harmless as that?
You must be registered for see images

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the NYS DMV has problems!
I fought with them for 2 hours over paying tax on the gas guzzler tax.
I was not paying tax on a tax !
and finally when i told them fine, i will not register the car, i am off to a attorney.
did they say oh, okay your right.

:mad:

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
actually:
"Bitte means please

Können Sie mir helfen, bitte? Can you help me, please?
Ein Bier, bitte. A beer, please. "

German translation web page.

Please Me - how is that offensive to anyone ?

fight it!

PatrickG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Bitte" means two things:

- "Thank you": You are welcome = Bitte
- and "Please" : Can I have a glass of water please/bitte

This is why geman speaking ppl sometimes answer you with "Please" when you say "Thank" and not "You're welcome" :)

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Hope you can do something about that. I was orginally thinking about Byte Me since I'm a computer guy but decieded agaisnt it just because I didn't want to pull any more aggravation towards the car than the normal Viper envoy stuff. I've been waiting for someone to be brave enoough to go for it. Good luck!

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go to a different DMV....but whatever you do....FIGHT IT!!

My friend here wanted BAD ASP on his 01 ACR, and the DMV told him no. He pleaded with them to let him have it, and after they noticed it was a Viper, they said that he could have it as long as they didn't get any complaints about it.

As far as I know, there were no complaints....only complements :laugh:

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for all the help guys, I'm def gonna fight this one :p I cant believe you made the papers Gary that is awesome :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper