SRT Differential

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know someone who recently purchased am SRT from an exotic car dealer. He blew out the diff. @ 700 miles. Is DC rebuilding them or just replacing them like they do on the Gen-2's? Are the parts available for this new hydraulic actuated posi locking mechanism?

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard the diff was modified a little. Not sure if it was just beefed up for the extra horsepower or not. The gears had different part numbers than the Gen-2's

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final, I believe the SRT and Competition Coupe differential are the same.

Dolph Williams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add one more to the list !!!!! A broken through shaft that holds the spider gears in line. I also was standing at the line at the drags at VOI and saw and heard the SRT rear end break. Same thing.

Reaction score
SRT-10, Nice to own a Sports Car Convertible from the show room that is the fastest in the world and has the best stopping performance. Produced by a company that is pro-active in dealing with manufacturing problems.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT10- Yeah, ***** to have a CC or an SRT with the Dana "not so super" diff...heh.

I think its way too early to base judgements without any facts. No dif failures in any CC and they are built strictly for racing. I've read of one SRT dif failure on this site.
The good thing is that Dodge has been quick to address problems, such as Recall 999 where the frame starts to crack & needs to be rewelded on Gen 2 cars.

Final GTS-Yeah it ***** to have a Gen 2 with the "not so super" frame...heh :shocked:

But I still think the Viper (Gen 1 , 2 or 3) is the best performance car out there & wish I could own all three :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Final GTS-Yeah it ***** to have a Gen 2 with the "not so super" frame...heh :shocked:

Final Daniel's is a 2002. The frame issues were addressed by the factory beginning in the 2001 model year. The frame gusset and welding recalls were for earlier model years. (2000 and older)

I'm sure PVO is fully aware of the the diff issue, and probably already have a fix for it in the wings. Look at how quickly they jumped on the issue of those few engines with the wrong spec valve. That's certainly a pro-active approach.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mean to flame, but Final, you are acting like a Viper owning SRT troll to the highest order. I don't know why you're saying all this about the SRT. Every new car has their teething problems. Dodge made changes to the 1992 RT/10s while they rolled down the assembly line to keep problems from starting ro continuing. I think they continued this throughout the Gen IIs, up until your car, if needed. I konw when Dodge started the GTS-R raceing program w/ ORECA, they had major problmes. Those were definitly solved. The diffs will be too. It may not be all SRTs, just an isolated lot of diffs. Similar to the Firestone incidents, or the valves they're recalling for the SRTs, and other Viper recalls.

It's almost as if you had a younger bro and you made fun of him to look good among your peers. Tell me why you have such hate for the SRT, please!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final Daniel's is a 2002. The frame issues were addressed by the factory beginning in the 2001 model year. The frame gusset and welding recalls were for earlier model years. (2000 and older)

I know Vic, I had a 2001. :) Look again,the quote is a play on words of Final Gts's quote. Don't take this too seriously, where here to share info and have some fun. :D
P.S. I could have told Final gts to keep a welder handy,only time will tell how the frame issues were handled .He could be Recall # 1000, I wonder if he would make those wiseguy comments then?...heh :rolleyes: Oh no now someones going to quote me again! :shocked:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
some guys just dont get it. This Diff problem was known about LONG ago, it happened to one of them at VOI7!!! are you telling me they couldnt diagnose the problem and cure it in 6 months!?! with all this "testing" PVO supposedly has been doing, this kind of crap should not happen. Electrical problems and such I can understand...but weak differentials!?! gimme a break. someone is either getting cheap or lazy. plain and simple.

Reaction score
Daniel,

You do not like the SRT10 that is clear.

There are 100's of SRT10's ripping up asphalt with only one failure.

Your understanding of manufacturing is also very clear.

You contribute nothing to this topic!

Take a Break!

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final GTS... your bias is so obvious that it detracts from any reasonable points you make. I wonder what statistical evidence you reviewed to conclude that there is a systemic problem with the differential design and/or manufacture for the SRT. I also wonder how you could consider the problem at VOI (if it in fact was a differential) to be an indicator of a widespread problem. Weren't the SRT's at the VOI autocross cars that have been driven by a variety of people under varying and unmonitored conditions? Weren't some of the cars driven by the press? How many miles were on the car? What effect did continuous use on the autocross course at VOI have on the car? Before I conclude that there is a widespread problem, some EVIDENCE would be useful.
I am expecting my SRT to be delivered by Woodhouse's driver in less than an hour. I am excited about it and do not expect a problem with the differential but then again, I don't think I will be popping the clutch at 4000 rpm's.
I appreciate what having a hand-built, low-volume car means and know that Dodge has stood behind their product every time I had even the slightest problem with my 4 Vipers. I expect they will do the same with my 5th as well.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey FRED- how about you try READING this THREAD? if you had, you would see there is FOUR bad diffs, not just ONE.

GTSVIPER- yes, I may be biased, thats true. I tried to like the SRT, I really did. I just cant, sorry.

It just ****** me off to see how some of you guys respond to someone (ME) who says something negative that goes against your "Gods Gift from PVO". It is like you guys just cant admit it isnt quite as perfect as you all thought, and that DC's thought process (aka, priorities) are not in the same order anymore.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And how do YOU know where D-C's priorities are? Been in alot of board meetings lately? There are bound to be problems in manufacturing. Before you are so quick to judge that it is a design flaw, have you ever considered that it is a vendor issue with the diff supplier? Do you know this differential is cheaper than the prior one?

You have no more insight into PVO than anyone here, and most likely less than quite a few others.

I suspect that PVO will solve the issue for anyone affected, and make improvements in the design if necessary.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gtsviper, great point on the uses of the cars for press and VOI!

Janni, that's a great post, exactly what I was trying to get across.

FinalGTS-"This Diff problem was known about LONG ago, it happened to one of them at VOI7!!! are you telling me they couldnt diagnose the problem and cure it in 6 months!?! with all this "testing" PVO supposedly has been doing, this kind of crap should not happen. Electrical problems and such I can understand...but weak differentials!?!"-

So are you saying it couldn't be a new problem or
manufacturing defect? You must think of all the options
and variations. If scientists and engineers had your way
of thinking, they'd be going nowhere.

FinalGTS- "yes, I may be biased, thats true. I tried to like the SRT, I really did. I just cant, sorry."-

Then why are you here?!? Why do you care if the SRT has
some teething problems? Are you considering buying one?
You're almost like owners of other car makes coming over
here and stirring things up. I'm sure you hate when that
happens...don't be a hypocrite!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha... beefed up, no. this is the 3rd bad diff I have seen in a couple months.

Final gts...thats your quote above. Then you say..

Hey FRED- how about you try READING this THREAD? if you had, you would see there is
FOUR bad diffs, not just ONE.

your story grows bigger and bigger. :rolleyes: I follow this Viper site(which is the best) everyday and I've read about only ONE from kenvw. Where or who has the other three? I did a search and I can't find them. :confused:
Why do you come to the SRT Forum dissing the car? So you don't like the SRT, who cares!!
You must be registered for see images
final gts
You must be registered for see images

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lets see.

VIO7- ONE
This Thread- TWO
Post By DOLPH WILLIAMS Above- THREE
Thread Titled: "Very bad day with the Viper - Blew out the back end or drive shaft!!!"- FOUR

I can count, can you?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Posted By ViperZilla-

"Then why are you here?!? Why do you care if the SRT has
some teething problems?"

I care because like it or not, the SRT is the Viper for sale now. I care about a reputation that the Gen-1 and Gen-2 cars set up, that I fear is going to go down the tubes because of some different mentalities in DC. I care about the "Viper" becomming another "typical American product". I care about the Viper becomming another Corvette. But most of all, I care about "Viper" becomming synonymous with "Overpriced, easily breakable, ***** car"

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dolph was referencing the VOI differential.

Three

This thread is referencing someone they "know." How do you KNOW that it is not the same vehicle?

BTW Daniel above you state "this is the 3rd bad diff I have seen in a couple months." Have you seen any of them first hand? If not, **** and let someone with first hand KNOWLEDGE speak.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I know Vic, I had a 2001. :) Look again,the quote is a play on words of Final Gts's quote. Don't take this too seriously, where here to share info and have some fun. :D
P.S. I could have told Final gts to keep a welder handy,only time will tell how the frame issues were handled .He could be Recall # 1000, I wonder if he would make those wiseguy comments then?...heh :rolleyes: Oh no now someones going to quote me again! :shocked:

Nah, I wouldn't do that!

Ooops! :D

I wasn't being too serious in my first post, so don't worry bout a thing. Just passing through!

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fellow brethren we need to be easy on each other. No need for the hostility. FinalGTS I hope all your posts are in concern of your other members (like me) getting their Viper's back on the road again. PVO is on this case like they are any situation that seems to arise that would diminish the stature of the Viper. I believe the diff problem which from these posts do add up to 4 (Dolph's ref. is to his Srt or someone he knows and that it is the same thing that happened at VOI7). However, I definitely can speak for my own and from a very good source that there are a few others. This however is just a small glitch as the obvious problem is vendor related. No, I am not happy about being Viperless but the PVO people are on it and I have full confidence they will make things right. Patience is a virtue and one that must be exercised now. FInalGTS wait till you drive one of these new Srt's they are incredible and if you have already driven one and still don't like it stick with the old model until they change again. But as for the commitment I feel DC is still wanting to do their best, which BTW may not always be the way you think things should go. Final I took all your posts as positive criticism to make sure that the new Viper sticks to the standards of yesteryear. Maybe a choice of words ordered in a different sequence would help all of us be more receptive to the comments in your posts.

Ken

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
VIPERSRT- NO, it does NOT appear Dolph was referencing the VOI7 Diff. I think it is quite obvious he is refering to 2 separate diffs in his post. Also, each differential I know of that went bad is in a different state. Seeing as this post refers to a "local" dealer, they arent the same.

Also, YES, I did see the diff at VOI7 First Hand, So I think you know what you can do with that "****"...

Have a Nice Day. :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SRTRICK- from what I was able to gather at VOI7 after looking at the Diff, it appears that the same failure occured in that mishap as the one listed above by Dolph Williams. The shaft that retains the spider gears broke loose (was broken into 3 peices, dont know if it broke at the end or middle first) In result, all spider gears were chewed up, and one side of the diff spool case was blown out.

Dolph Williams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the facts and and no opinions..............

Yes, I did see and hear the SRT at the VOI drags break at the line. The driver parked the car at
the VERY end of the parking area. I ran down to see what had happened. The PVO people were
all gathered around talking about it very quietly. Some wanted to jack the car up to see more,
but others did not. They just wanted to get the car away and out of sight. They knew there was
a problem. There was not a drop of fluid leaking out the rear end.

On March 30, my SRT did the same thing. I worked beside the Viper tech the next day to find out
what happened. When we pulled the drain plug in the diff., a gear tooth fell out. The dealer ordered
a new diff. and was told there were only 2 available, both in Milwaukee(if I remember correctly).
I couldn't believe it, but the dealer had the new diff, at the dealership and installed in 2 days!!!
During this time, we pulled the cover off the old diff. and found the through shaft that holds the
spider gears in place and inline, was broken in 3 pieces. Needless to say, the inside of the diff.
was worth crying over !!!! My diff. was not leaking any fluid when it happened.

After the new diff. was installed, the tech drove it and said there was still a noise that he was
concerned about. Half shafts !!!!! The half shafts have been on order for 2 weeks now with no
word on when to expect them. My car is still sitting at the dealer. Good thing I have 2 more to
drive.

Now, my opinion....................

I think there is a supplier flaw problem. I am in the manufacturing business myself, and that type
of problem can be time consuming to solve. But, I feel and would bet that PVO is on top of it right
now. I have also received the "valve" letter on my SRT. But, I still do and always will love the SRT
as much as the RT/10 and the GTS.

Can anyone help on getting me half shafts for my car? The Mid-South club has an event coming
up real soon, and I would love to be able to drive it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DOLPH- I am fairly sure the "halfshafts" on the SRT's are manufactured by Dana as well, Perhaps you can direct-order them from Dana, and have Chrysler reimburse you for the cost? (or have them sent directly to the dealer?) My local dealer has done things like that with my friends 01 ACR and Archer Racing.

PS- just let me clarify, the Diff Spool is located INSIDE the differential, and the side of it being blown out would not result in leakage. All fluid would remain contained in outer casing.

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its not DC or PVO building the rear-ends...its Dana. They need to resolve this issue, not D-C. Dana shouldn't have signed up if they couldn't built an indestructable gear set!! 500 ponies, 500 lbs of torque not your average grocery getter. Not like we don't use it up to the max anyways!! But I think if they are going to be suppliers to the rear gears, parts etc. they need to be accountable. Hopefully something will be done to correct the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave