Synchronize throttle bodies???

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok I am trying my first bit of work on the Viper. It's a 1995. I read in the how to section that I can synchronize my throttle bodies. Ok easy enough. When I release the passenger side the sheath for the cable shoots forward a 1/2 inch and I push the cable back into it some. I hit the button on the drivers side and don't see anything happen at all. Get in the car and open the throttle full, no clicks of any kind at all?? When I release the pedal I can hear one (assuming it's the pasenger side) throttle body click shut then the other. Am I missing something here? I did not try to start the car yet or drive. Should I deffinitaly be hearing clicks "You should hear a series of clicks as the ratchet mechanisms self adjust" when I first hit the gas? Why is the sheath on one side poping forward while the other one just looks at me? This is easy right????

OP
OP
C

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Uh? I think I just got it. it says "While pressing in on the metal button with your right thumb to release the throttle cable, pull the cable toward the rear of the car"

But I just looked at the picture again
ts_pull.jpg

and I think I am supposed to pull the "sheath" or what ever you want to call it back. The cables never move at all right???? I was shoving the cable not the housing?? Anyone?

Yep, got it! Pull the housing or sheath back and it works like a charm. I must be too tarded for this one. I got hung up on the word "cable", to me your hand never touched the cable at all but instuctions said to pull on it. Now can I handle an oil change?

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 RT as well and have found that I need to synchronize the cables every so often when the car begins to lurch in low gears. This is how I have done it several times with success:

1. On each throttle cable there is a cable release built into the bracket (shiny metal button). While pressing the release button, grab the clear-round "umbrella" housing around the bare cable just ahead of the release button and move it towards the windshield. You will see the throttle cables moving as you do this. Repeat this process to the other throttle cable.

2. Get in the car and make sure your floor mat is not under the gas pedal (very important). I take my shoe off so I can feel the pedal. Slowly start pressing the gas and you will begin to see and hear the cables adjusting (clicking noise). You may have to press VERY hard once you get the pedal to the floor to ensure that you have COMPLETELY depressed the pedal. Don't be afraid to really stand on it hard!

That is about it. The service manual indicates that after synchronizing the cables, one of throttle cables should actually begin to "slightly" move before the other one once the adjustment is made, can't remember which side without researching. The movement is barely noticeable, but it should be there.

This made a world of difference on the driveability of the car in low gears at low speeds.

Good luck! :usa:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...actually, JUST THE OPPOSITE...LEFT side NEEDS to LEAD (book actually says "open simultaneously or the left throttle body should open just before the right...") !!!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the instructions to remove the floormat to do this. I removed the floormat and when completed the throttle position was at WOT (I'd push the pedal to the floor and my dad said the throttle touched the housing).

When I put the floormat back, the pedal could not go down as far as before and the throttle position would not get back to WOT.

Doesn't it seem logical to need to do this with the floormats in?

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the floor mats allows the synchronizing of the throttle bodies to be achieved at wide open throttle. This is exactly what the desired effect is. Besides, the floor mats should not be so far foward to prevent the gas pedal from a WOT position. Think about it!