Anyone ever polish "Viper" on the valve covers??

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever polish \"Viper\" on the valve covers??

Anyone ever polish "Viper" on the valve covers?? Just wondering what you used, and how it turned out. They start to tarnish after awhile, and I'd like to get'em looking good again. Also the bare metal "rails" on the intake.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anyone ever polish

I have..made a big difference. I never did the "rails" on the intakes though.

I used a drum shaped felt bob on my Dremel with a bit of Mother's Aluminum polish. It's a good idea to mask off the rest of the valve cover and engine bay to avoid a mess as the Dremel will sling some polish.

Then, when I was done, I just cleaned up the leftover polish with some glass cleaner.

It lasted quite a while, and looked great.

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have polished the complete valve covers and let it sit about two weeks and they turned grayish again, they are made out of magnesium(i think) so they don't hold a polish too long. But you may try some clear coat for just the viper script like from a hobby shop. Jerry

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Anyone ever polish \"Viper\" on the valve covers??

I have been thinking of doing this also. Now I'm thinking about doing then black :confused:

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I polished mine a while back and posted this:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=248930&Forum=UBB14&Words=Polish&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=248930&Search=true#Post248930

Experts seemed to think it was a nutty idea. On the other hand, my valve covers are as shiny today as they were weeks ago - no sign of any tarnishing. Maybe it's the relatively dry air here (Denver CO) versus Florida...

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I am getting ready for a car show I will take a piece of fine grade sand paper and a flat surface (I use one of the metal Dodge watch boxes) to sand them with. It lasts quite a while, but eventually the tarnish again. Be VERY careful not to sand on the painted surface.

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah, I did this one time, didn't turn out to great. I used the dremel tool and mothers mag polish. Took way too long to do and the results were not great, tarnished in about two weeks. Now they are the same as they used to be, I really don't recomend it because of the time and effort it took me, but painting them black seems like an interesting idea.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So said Nasty 10

I have been thinking of doing this also. Now I'm thinking about doing them black :confused:

Oh, I'm totally ripping off this idea, but silver... Thanks! :cool:

ubnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is there any way to powder coat them? I would like to do mine in a blue if you can.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went to Autozone and bought their finest wet/dry sandpaper, wrapped it around a wood block, masked off the valve covers with wide tape on 4 sides around logo, and sanded for about 30 seconds.

Sprayed WD-30 on my finger and wiped the logo...let it sit overnight. Looked great for over 6 months and took less than 5 minutes. I'll do again Saturday.

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went to Autozone and bought their finest wet/dry sandpaper, wrapped it around a wood block, masked off the valve covers with wide tape on 4 sides around logo, and sanded for about 30 seconds.

Sprayed WD-30 on my finger and wiped the logo...let it sit overnight. Looked great for over 6 months and took less than 5 minutes. I'll do again Saturday.

What he said.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score

I have 2 high speed commercial buffers and have been polishing motorcycle engines carburators, intakes and parts for years. I don't want to take the valve covers off my Viper now but if anyone has an extra one or one that is slightly damaged they would like to send me, I will polish it and clear coat it with a high temp clear and get back to you with an estimate of time and cost to do a full set. I also have a powder coating system and I don't see any reason why they could not be powdercoated.

SSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have tried all of the above mentioned ideas & was unsatisfied. No need for power tools. With fine grit polish rub the name & snake emblem till they shine. Clean off the with damp cloth. Now, rub with fine steel wool till satisfied. Ten minutes per side. Mine now gives a mirror appearance.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used the wet-sanding (400 grit) method and WD-40 this past weekend after reading this posting. I used a small 1" x 1/2" piece of 3/4" plywood as a sanding block wrapped with the 400 grit wet sanding paper and H20. WOW!!!!! looks great and it only took a few minutes per side as mentioned above. THANKS FOR THE GREAT TIP!!! :usa:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did this Monday. I used 2,000 grit wet/dry on a wood block. Taped off sides with masking tape. About 10 minutes total. Looks great.