Anyone ever thought they would be carjacked in their Viper?

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious about this. There have been a few cases in my residential development (about 1500 homes) where thugs have followed people driving high-line autos home and then car jacked them when they pull into their driveways.

I'm usually cautious, but hope this isn't a problem for Viper owners.

This will be the most expensive car I have ever bought. I carry, but hope to never use it in that fashion.
Dave

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that's anything to worry about. I've never heard of Vipers exactly being on the Carjackers Hot List.

You must be registered for see images

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever thought that they don't carjack ya because most of the morons can't drive standard? I always thought about that - it'd be funny watching a 'jacker try to steal something, and go to drive off, and have it look like the idiots first driving lesson.... :lol:

OP
OP
F

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a kydex type holster (Fobus) mounted to one of the bolts that holds the dash in place that puts my 45 just above my right knee when I'm seated in the Driver seat. Easy to reach and near impossible to see unless you have your face in the footwell. Doesn't interfere with leg movement either.

I imagine the Viper could be equipped so as well.

This is legal in my state in you have a conceal carry permit.

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I was being car jacked twice. Sitting at a stop light, car in front no where to go and see someone running up behind me and think OH Sheet car jacking. They get right to the back of the door and turn around while their girl friend takes there picture. I hit the gas so the side pipes made them jump. So don`t pull that trigger to fast. And yes both times it was done by a black person. Not much call for parts and way to easy to spot for thieves to use as a driver.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no, never thought i was going to be carjacked. one time though, i thought i was going to have to unload 3 clips into a couple of guys who were *attempting* a carjacking. cops drove by and scared them off though before i had to act.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a little concerned about being carjacked myself, that's why I stay away from the bad areas around town and the city of Detroit entirely. I guess it depends on where you live. I think this car may be a little too high profile for a carjacker to hit though. Unless they just wanted to steal it to go joyriding in. Besides, when they stare down the barrel of my .50 caliber Desert Eagle they may have second thoughts. Actually the only times I have driven through Detroit in my Viper was on the way to Canada once to meet up with GenXGTS and wreak havoc on the Canadian citizens and outrun the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. :D So I guess I can't exactly call myself the "Motor City Mad Man" now can I? Dang, the secrets out. I'm just a suburbanite boy.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always stop far enough behind the car in front of you so if there is an opening right or left you can take it. Pull up to close and you won't have the option.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess that works Dean, but it really looks like a poor attempt at suicide! I wouldn't be standing on your left.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper won't get car jacked too much. The car is too rare and too flashy. What would a car jacker do with a Viper? Where would he sell the parts? You can make more money off a Benz and your "get away" won't attract attention.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper won't get car jacked too much. The car is too rare and too flashy. What would a car jacker do with a Viper? Where would he sell the parts? You can make more money off a Benz and your "get away" won't attract attention.

i have to respectfully disagree with the above. i have seen otherwise in my time. for example, i have heard about a tuner in TX named "Heinousy" (heheh) who will take your Viper and part it out ... and apparently get away with it too!

OP
OP
F

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tattooed:
I also learned from the Corvette boards that he is pretty good at extracting money from Corvette owner's wallets.

One of the guys on this board who has a Viper and a ZO6 got about $20K taken from him for work not done on the ZO6. I don't know if he got the $ back or not.

One Tuner I can recommend without any reservation for quality work and unquestionably honest morals and work ethic is Mike Norris, owner of Norris Motorsports just outside Orlando, Florida. He writes a monthly column for one of the big Corvette publications. He tunes Vipers and Corvettes.

He did the package on my '02 Coupe, and this has been the most reliable Corvette I have ever owned. I had a valve spring break and the car was idling like a truck. Mike took a side trip during last Christmas to drive to my house and look at the car while he was on vacation. I was ready to put it on a transport and ship it to him to fix. He diagnosed it, sent me a complete set of replacement valves, and paid for my local Chevy Dealer to install them.

If I were ever to have my SRT 10 modded, he would be the one I'd have do it.
Dave

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah, "Heinousy" got NoMercy for about $20k, and he nailed a bunch more vette guys too - it was that $5000 heads/cam special he ran right before he got booted off of CF.

i have always heard great things about Mike Norris. sounds like a standup guy who really stands behind his work. thats rare these days.

OP
OP
F

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the corvetteforum boards for many months and never, ever heard anything but praise for Mike. Mike even arranged a "test ride" for me with another of his customers who had a similar package done who lived in my area.
Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950