96 GTS oil leaks

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to be buying a 96 GTS with 4500 mi in the next few days (contingent on inspection) and I've heard quite a lot about various oil leaks associated with the 1996 GTS. Looking to hear from other 96 owners concerning whether this is something that affects all 96 cars or some of them and if you did have a leak, what was involved in correcting the problem. Just trying to get a better idea of what to expect. Thanks

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had an entire engine's worth of gaskets thrown at mine over the last 8 months and IT STILL LEAKS. After the last time in the shop, I put it on my rack in the garage for over 2 weeks and detailed the ENTIRE undercarriage and engine compartment. 4 weeks later, the whole freaking underside of the car is covered with engine oil AGAIN!!!

:mad: , very :mad: !

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 GTS has 10K miles and it is dry as a bone. Service history shows no warranty or non-warranty repairs for oil leaks.

Also...buy a extended warranty...call Chuck Tator..he will set you up for a great price.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '96 pan gasket gives out over time. The pan gasket was changed in ('98??) and is a much better design. The newer gasket fits the '96 fine. It cured my drips.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, whenever someone brings me a leaker, the first thing I do is drop in a bottle of tracer dye. Then I break out the trusty black light and before you know it, you've found the culprit. Aside from the ocassional porosity problem and rear main seal, the front timing cover gasket is usually the cause. I can't count the number of times I've removed timing covers to replace these gaskets.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had leaks twice with my 96 GTS. The first time was a rear main seal leak. The second time was the timing cover gasket. Also, I had one heck of a mess from the POS PCV hoses near the front of the engine. [******] things literally fell apart in my hand when I went to replace them with the new and improved PCV kit I got from the Partsrack. No more mess now. I guess the stock hoses were not compatible with synthetic oil or something like that and that is why they fall apart. No leaks in 2 years now.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my '96 GTS since almost new 600 miles. I now have 8K miles and have never ever even had a drop of oil leak. My car is number 911 so it was late in the run. The car was built 0n 11/96. Good luck on your new snake you will love that BLUE/WHITE best combo!

Kenric

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, whenever someone brings me a leaker, the first thing I do is drop in a bottle of tracer dye. Then I break out the trusty black light and before you know it, you've found the culprit. Aside from the ocassional porosity problem and rear main seal, the front timing cover gasket is usually the cause. I can't count the number of times I've removed timing covers to replace these gaskets.

I've got all the latest gasket updates. Timing cover and cam position sensor gasket, valve covers, oil pan, rear main, new PCV. First hint of trouble was the valve cover breather elbows and tee - replaced them with the update kit. I've run a compression check and everything's cool. If I knew how to run a leakdown test, I'd do that to see if I have a blowby problem, but my oil samples are good, so I don't think that's the issue either.
You must be registered for see images

I sometimes wonder about the thoroughness of the mechanic work performed by the dealer's techs.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Dean Quote: I sometimes wonder about the thoroughness of the mechanic work performed by the dealer's techs.

That is usually the problem.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently my 97 GTS developed oil leaks, the problem is the leaks only happen after hot laps at the track. The leaks eventually stop and do not happen during street driving. I've tried going out and driving it ******* backroads, though I'm defifinitely not generating the g forces that Hoosiers are capable of, but I put in the garage to wait for the leak and nothing. The dealer has put in dye but couldn't find it either because there is no leak or after a track day, the oil is splattered everywhere underneath, it looks like it is leaking from everywhere. I am thinking my only options are to risk an accident and a ticket and drive like a madman on public roads and hope it leaks OR go to a track event for 1 session and then drive straight to the dealer. What can it be ?