AMSOIL vs Mobil-1

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother P,we'll know 4-sure this SAT.dyno day,TOOOFST's got amsoil bumper to bumper.Bought it from an 87 year young man in the city,it was hard to believe this old guy in this old house can make my car run better :cool: .
In a nut,what AMSOIL engineers forgot about synthetics,MOBIL 1 guys haven't figured out(want to pay for).The truth is AMSOIL has a better stable(molecule)product through prolong heat.That's why it cost 2X most others.Independent test results kill the others in 2hr.timed/rpm friction wear tests.
PS.If you not looking to push your snake to the limits often,than MOBIL 1 is fine. :p

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"not wanting to push yer snake to the limits too often?"

....like at the Silverstate Classic?

...your baiting him! :p

I can't add anything Paolo buddy - except only ever heard good reports about Amsoil.... but then I've only heard from Amsoil supporters so guess that shouldn't surprise. :smirk:

So come-on guys - out with the proof, we're all in class here - teach us :D

ps: if you decide to run with it Paolo - just check with George about compatibility with OE that's all - shouldn't be a problem but you need to check.... and unless Amsoil can prove to you the Amsoil film strength is around 270,000psi - I'd definitely still run the OE with it as planned (despite cries their oil does not need it - its film strength you want).... if compatible it might be a great combo! I'd be willing to try it.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using Amsoil bumper to bumper since 1976 including grease and air filters. Do a search here on oil analysis from a few months ago. There were several sets of numbers posted(including mine with Series 2000 0W-30). I thought the results were quite conclusive as to which was better..especially after reading Tom's breakdown of what the numbers meant. Since changing the transmission over last year from Castrol to Amsoil, the car is actually running a little cooler on the temp gauge and there is less heat build up on the short throw shifter shaft. (Mobil-1 no longer advertises on my oil cap)

Steve

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ExonMobil is a very big outfit, right? So why would a little company like AMSOIL be making a better product?

I'm just asking the question, not making any BS calls.

One of the things I don't really like to see is the AMSOIL marketing. I mean the multi level, sell it from your house thing. Do they still do that?

I'm thinking that Mobil-1 is far better than anyone really needs to use for a real world engine. Change interval is more important than max quality as long as we are talking about top quality oil.

Rather than pay the 2x price for AMSOIL, I'd be leaning to changing it more often.

Someone should do a test on used AMSOIL after 1500 miles in an engine, compared to new Mobil-1. That would be the fair comparison to make. This might show the value of frequent changes compared to expensive oil at longer interval changes.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This struck me as the oddest comparative, but one I cannot ignore... I once switched from Amsoil to Mobil 1 in my S4 and a few weeks later, my wife commented that the car didn't seem as smooth. Switched back and somehow she could tell the difference. Very weird, but I would have to say that my gut now thinks that Amsoil is the better oil.

Lou

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*TorqueMonster.SHHH.I need a vacation

*Good ?s Joe.Some still sell out of their house,like I stated in my post,but you can buy it online or at hundreds of distributor warehouses.Why should a good co.(that doesn't turn a ceo over and over) blow off these older distributors making a few bucks and while living on pension.

The bigger you are the harder it is to give a quality consistant product.My co.for ex.WWW.westlakewelding.com
Were 8 and build with equal or better retail stores than co.s 3 to 10times the size.Usually the bigger guy makes a less expensive product,not better,quality control major problem.Were not talking apples and oranges,so its all good.Peace out.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used Amsoil in a Ram D-50 pickup. No previous problems running Castrol. Switched to Amsoil and it varnished the motor in 5K miles. From what I have heard, the Amsoil base is synthesized from wheat oil. However, I also had varnish problems with a standard petroleum based oil -- Penzoil. Those are the only oils which have given me varnish problems and I won't ever use either again. No problems with Castrol, Valvoline, the stuff Chevron sells and Mobil-1. I'm not a tribologist -- just my experience with oils.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy is the service manager at a ferrari/lambo shop and all they use is Agip. They claim it RULES. Whats the deal with Agip?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I used Amsoil in a Ram D-50 [snip]

David, that weird because I had the exact opposite problem with Castrol. In fact I will not touch Castrol or Quakerstate ever again from the problems I've had with them.

I use Amsoil in my Jeep and Honda and M1 in Mistress, 140k cumaltive miles and have had no problem.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy is the service manager at a ferrari/lambo shop and all they use is Agip. They claim it RULES. Whats the deal with Agip?

I was curious about Agip, but could find no real technical information on it. All I found was a link for the distributor here in the USA.
http://www.americanagip.com/

You must be registered for see images

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bonkers,
sorry to hear that you had problems with Castrol. In the pickup Castrol ran OK -- didn't leave a patina on the inside of the oil cap. I've always run Chevron Supreme in my vehicles even though regular would have been OK. I figured that the Techron in the fuel would keep things running cleaner. It might be that the detergents added to some oils work better with specific fuels and not others. Of course, now that Shell owns both Chevron and Texaco I have no idea if the fuel addatives between brands is the same or different. Techron (polyether amine) is supposedly unique to Chevron.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a MOBIL 1 consumer for years. Recently a good friend became an AMSOIL distributor and told me to check out their webisite (www.amsoil.com). The statistic and testing are undeniably impressive compared to MOBIL 1 and other oils. I e-mailed MOBIL 1 and asked them to respond to AMSOIL claiming that they had the superior product in all test areas......NO RESPONSE! I e-mailed mobil 1 a week later and finally received the following response: "WE DO NOT HAVE ANY TEST DATA ON COMPETITORS PRODUCTS" Talk about a "LAME" response!!! As of this Saturday, my 95 RT/10 will have AMSOIL series 2000 in the engine, transmission and differential hence forth!!

Anyone want to purchase 12 quarts of MOBIL 1??? :usa:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone should do a test on used AMSOIL after 1500 miles in an engine, compared to new Mobil-1. That would be the fair comparison to make. This might show the value of frequent changes compared to expensive oil at longer interval changes.

As I stated above--do a search a few months back on oil analysis. The results of my oil with 6000 miles on it---left in the car for the winter and several xcrosses pretty much whipped the Mobil 1 numbers which was changed at 1000 mile intervals and not raced(or at least not stated it was raced). It also was comparable or better in some catagories to new Mobil 1 as those numbers were posted as well. I think this is the link I'm referring to.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=125695&Forum=All_Forums&Words=oil%20analysis&Match=Or&Searchpage=5&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=125695&Search=true#Post125695

Steve

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I've been reading along, and I'm still not convinced AMSOIL is better than Mobil-1, especially not when there has been some bad things said about AMSOIL, and there has been nothing bad said about Mobile-1. I'd say that makes Mobil-1 the better, so far, based on the experiences shared here. I've used Mobil-1 in my cars, and have never had anything but good results. I have never tried AMSOIL.

And just because Mobil-1 did not happen to respond with a satisfactory email is not, in my opinion, a good reason to stop using the product, especially not when some people in this thread have had problems with AMSOIL. Think about it.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked up the thread. A TBN of 7.2 after 6000 miles is good (Amsoil) - that's a measure of the alkaline reserve left in the oil - it means that after 6000miles the Amsoil still had as much ability to absorb future combusiton acids as a typical new ****** oil!

I also like the 0W/30 viscosity - nice and thin - great for power and economy.... the only unknown is the film strength as that affects wear resistence.

The best oil I have ever used is Oil Extreme. I've written about it before so I won't repeat it all here - but it reduced a seasons racing from replacing parts every race day (av. cost $2000 per day plus fuel and tires) to an entire season on no breakages - in ANYONES book that is pretty good for simply changing the brand of oil!

After I stopped sponsoring the car (part of deal was I supplied Oil Extreme) Mark picked up Redline as sponsor - that too has proven reliable - but still requires regular maintenance every other meet, plus requires a lot more frequent changes than when on Oil Extreme. Redline threatened to withdraw sponsorship if OE got added to their oil so Mark chose to keep the free Redline oil deal and pay the maintenance - which is still 200% better than maintenance on the old 50W racing Quaker State.

Oil Extreme do an additive, they also do their own 0W/30 oil. www.oilextreme.com The film strength is around 260-270,000psi.... more than double anything Mobil or any of the other "7 sister oil companies" have made.

I changed from Mobil 1 15/50 to 0W/40 and improved economy 12%. Then added Oil Extreme additive and got another 18% on top! The noisy tappet went away too (not bad on 0W/30). The TBN went from 8 to 26!

Ask the labs how many oils they have seen with a 26TBN.... they'll likely laugh at you. An additive bottle of OE concentrate has a TBN of 320 - the big Oil Companies still do not know how to do that while providing super-high wear protection and low friction etc at the same time....

Skeptical? fair enough.... but consider this - give me one example of where anything that exceeded its peers by a wide margin ever became mainstream. The best ideas never do, nor do the worst, mainstream is always middle of the road... funny eh?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now THAT is very interesting. I have never ever heard of this oil extreme product. Thanks for mentioning it, else I'd still not know about it. I'm going to look into it more, for my own benefit.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
torquemonster,
so i can just add this additive to mobil 1 and have awesome protection.
the additive with interact with mobil 1 with no problem?
sounds too good to be true.

if i went extreme oil for basic street driving which weight?
mobil 1 is 10w30
they only sells 5w30 15w40 20w50 :confused:

thanks
Jim

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read about both the Oil Extreme "Better Than Synthetic" Motor Oil and the Oil Extreme Concentrate, and, YES, you can add the Concentrate to any motor oil to gain their amazing benefits, or you can skip the Concentrate by just using their Oil Extreme "Better Than Synthetic" Motor Oil. The stuff sounds pretty darn amazing. They certainly have convincing technical information on their website.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy,
that is what i was thinking either concentrate or oil. but if i go oil what weight
for the street?
And what is up with no prices being posted?

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see...... Which is Better? Who has the correct opinion? Who's right? Who's wrong?.............Who Cares?

Both I am sure are great products which most likely do the same job, Go for what makes your boat float.

My 2c says if DODGE who built our beast from the ground up uses and recommends MOBIL 1. Then it's MOBIL 1 for me.

Vipers Rule!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no expert on oil viscosities, but as I understand things, climate is a big factor, so...
5w30 - normal to cold climate
15w40 - above normal to very hot climate
20w50 - not sure, engines with a lot of mileage or extreme driving conditions?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's correct :) - however Oil Extreme changes all that because of its extreme pressure rating - so go for the thinnest oil you can and feel secure in the knowledge that even with the thin oil - the extreme pressure rating of Oil Extreme will offer you better protection than the thickest oil you can buy could.

Mobil One does not publish its film strength - but if it was over 120,000psi I'd be surprised... it can't be over 130,000 as that is about the max for normal oils.... lifter to cam loads can reach 160,000psi on a fast ramp roller.... so that means wear over time... OE has 270,000psi so that means less wear.

If you want to stick to Mobil one - I'd run the 0W/40 Mobil One if you can get it, otherwise the next thinnest - but note my comments about how much better results I got by going from 15W/50 to 0W/40 Mobil One. Personally, I'd run the Oil Extreme complete Oil (and forget Mobil) because I know the CEO and know the product.

Because I know how good it is I'd have no hesitation in running 0W/10 oil in a very aggressively cammed Viper with Oil Extreme in it. Changing to OE will add around 10hp based upon what I've seen typically.... not a lot but better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick ;)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
torquemonster,
You say,
"it reduced a seasons racing from replacing parts every race day (av. cost $2000 per day plus fuel and tires) to an entire season on no breakages"

So you are telling us that you had oil related reasons for replacing $2k worth of parts every race? And you fixed that by changing the kind of oil that you use?

If this is true, why don't all professional racing teams use this oil. These guys do this for a living. How could they be so stupid that they would miss out on this giant improvement in reliability?

Then you say,
"I changed from Mobil 1 15/50 to 0W/40 and improved economy 12%. Then added Oil Extreme additive and got another 18% on top! The noisy tappet went away too"

What was the car and what were the actual economy numbers in mpg?
The noisy tappet? What car did this come from?

Bottom line is this. There are lots of marketing folks in the automotive world who will tell you that they have a breakthrough product. It could be an engine that runs on water or a spark plug that has a strange electrode. It might even be a product that will bring back that "new car shine" to an old ******.
The story almost always is that their product is better than the big boys but for some strange reason nobody wants to take advantage of the miracle. Why not?

There are governments and military all over the world that would pay big money to make their army tanks, trucks, jeeps, get better economy and last longer. There are airlines, trucking companies, open pit mines, thousands of professionaly managed engine users all over the world that could choose to gain from this, and yet they don't. Are they fools?

The way I see this, your special oil is either a scientific breakthrough or it's a marketing breakthrough.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see...... Which is Better? Who has the correct opinion? Who's right? Who's wrong?.............Who Cares?

Both I am sure are great products which most likely do the same job, Go for what makes your boat float.

My 2c says if DODGE who built our beast from the ground up uses and recommends MOBIL 1. Then it's MOBIL 1 for me.

Vipers Rule!

Agreed.

Dodge has to fix these cars when they break. I think they would recommend the best oil so they have to fix less cars under warranty.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because a company uses a certain product does not mean it is the best product. It may be that they use it because it is the smart choice for their particular application. So the lack of their use does not discredit the product. There are many factors why a company like, say Dodge, uses Mobil-1, which is probably a lot less expensive than, say, Oil Extreme. Money is a big factor in everything related to business, especially in the big leagues.

On another note. Just because all the big league companies out there don't use some miracle product does not mean the product is not a miracle product. I have experienced many amazing products out there that the world at large does not use. Does this mean the product is not amazing and does not truly do what its makers say it does? No it does not. It just means the world at large have not discovered it yet. And with as many false products claiming the same things being created every month, it's no wonder the world at large has not discovered those few truly miraculous products. Then add to that how many times someone has been ripped off by false products, and you get a large percentage of people just not trying and buying new products. They stick to the norm. But the norm is not where you'll find the miracles. The norm is where you'll have the same results as Joe Next Door. So if you want to be like Joe Next Door, continue using the same products, and never researching and trying new things. Believe what everyone tells you, and you'll be just like everyone else.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth