Barber Motorsports Track: Review

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a Porsche Club Drivers' Education event at the new Barber track in Alabama this past weekend. It was a 2-day event with six 30-minute sessions for everyone. I had a great time and wanted to post my impressions about the track:

(1) The facility is beautiful and well-thought-out. The pavement is new and smooth. The "rumble" strips are unpainted, smooth concrete (nice touch, I thought).

(2) There are no significant straightaways. The longest is about 1200 feet. I was driving on street tires, stock alignment, and with a weighty but extremely helpful instructor in the car. I maxed out at 100-105mph at the end of the four straights.

(3) The track is very busy. No place to rest and check instruments like the back straight at Road Atlanta. You are constantly turning one way or the other. This makes concentration important and means that a mistake in one place will screw you up for many turns ahead.

(4) The track has constant elevation changes and camber changes. One of the real keys to driving the track is taking advantage of the banked turns and gravity well spots to apply the power. To me, some of the big power-on spots were counter-intuitive. My main area for improvement if I go back will be to apply more power and sooner in these spots.

(5) The track has some great, fun turns. But horsepower is not a big advantage with all those turns.

(6) The track appears safe. Part of that is the comparatively slow speed vs. something like Road Atlanta. Also, there is good run-off room in most places. And in some places where you can get it wrong, the track is going uphill so that going in too deep will scrub speed and keep you on the track. We had only one wreck among about 180 drivers, and it wasn't severe.

(7) Participants seemed to think that the pavement was very easy on tires. I did not notice any significant wear on my street tires.

I was very glad I made this track my first on-track experience with the Viper. Now I'm ready to go to Road Atlanta this fall. I would go back to Barber, but not without doing a more track-friendly alignment.

I also want to comment that the Porsche Club did a great job running the event. It ran on time and very professionally. Only solo-qualified drivers with previous track experience were permitted, so the level of skill and courtesy were high. I did not see any unfriendly driving on the track.

There were a couple of things that bothered me. A number of full race-prepped Porsche Cup Cars were at the event. But instead of putting them all in one group to run with each other, they put them in every group. This created a huge disparity in speed. Fortunately, the 911GT3R drivers were cool and safe drivers.

Also, the passing rules were not as safe as they could have been. The PCA allows people to pass on either side based on the overtaken car's point-by. This creates a lot of uncertainty for the overtaking car, which is trying to build up speed to make a pass. I had a couple of scares overtaking when the point-by came in a direction different from what I expected. I like the Panoz Track Days rule that requires all passing on the right -- I think it is safer for everyone.

If anyone has any questions about the track or event, fire away. Overall I had a great time and would highly recommend doing an event there.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like a good day although the passing rules do seem a bit vague. The clubs here in my local area are tinkering with the rules some, but it is always pass on the left OR the rignt. They have recently adopted a 'faster car move offline' strategy which makes sense too me.

Jim

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the "hold your line and point by" rule. Maybe on a tighter track like it sounds like Barber is, it might be more difficult.

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly the problem. On most of the "straights" at Barber, both cars need to move from one side to the other to get to the turn-in point for the next corner. So the overtaken car might choose to stay wide, let the other car through on the correct line OR the overtaken car may stay on-line and make the overtaking car go around off-line. Either would be fine, but the thing that bothered me was that it could go either way based on the overtaken car's point-by. That made things less predictable and made passes occur later in the straight and closer to the next corner. I think a uniform rule of passing on the left or right would have been better.