Error code P1494

Gene's98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just changed the plugs on my 98 GTS ( OEM Champions) and am now coming up with the "service engine soon" light on the dash. A friend plugged it into the computer and I get error P1494, which has to do with the "leak detection pump" / PCV system. It looked like the rubber hose off the right front valve cover was off, so I reattached it and zip tied it on. We reset the computer , but the code came back on next start up. This is superimposed upon the backmost right bank cylinder burning some oil- I saw a small amount of oil looking wet around the base on that plug.

It seems strange that there was no warning light before the new plugs, and now there is.... Any ideas?

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1494.... What did you do after changing the plugs? Any thing at all? Did you get gas? Cap not on tight?

Let me know what you find.

OP
OP
G

Gene's98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. Was running below 1/4 tank of race gas (100 octane).

I was changing the plugs because I burned so much oil (4 qts) at the track over 2 days. Some indicate that a good amount of this may be "blow off" from high rev conditions, and actually recommend running the engine a quart low on oil at the track so it won't continuously blow off the top quart. One plug is slightly fouled with oil, but there was plenty of oily soot on the back bumper. Now, with a fresh tank of gas and an oil change and new plugs I'm trying to figure my true oil consumption. Maybe the oil "blow off" has fouled some part of the PCV system? Interestingly, the airbox and air filter are clean, and no oil drips or spray around engine or fire wall, and makes me think bad rings. But i'm not sure how a chronic low level ring problem would suddenly generate the P1494 code.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your LDP is part of your HVAC system,your first checks you want to make as a part of your algorhythm would be vacumn leaks,if your LDP is malfunctioning (which is in your L/side frt. facia) that would send the code, but more times than not it is detecting a leak which could be a very small leek,hense 1494,this pump is only on 98s up,if you dont find thats your problem,email me and i will fax you a very detailed trouble shooting algorhythm for that code

OP
OP
G

Gene's98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice and will try to run down any vacuum leaks.
I could use a blueprint of the vacuum system, though.

Thanks,
Gene

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456