Dumb RT/10 question...........

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think I would have paid more attention to rt/10 discussions but............Is there a easy up/quick soft top to keep the morning chill out and in case of rain emergencys ? Or....is the only option dealing with the factory top.....which I understand is a pain in the butt. I am asking for a lady that is interested.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory soft top would not be considered easy up...but its there of course...

I believe a dude by the name of MadMaxx was developing an easy up easily collapsed top...MadMaxx, are
you out there?? There appears to be a future viper owner in distress!

Tomer

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB had a cover of _some_ sort for the RT that I wish I'd bought... it covered the top and the windows down to the mirrors. It _looked_ good, but I'm not sure how well it worked. But it looked good. And it looked like it would have worked.

JD

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB's top was for the car standing still. I recall someone making one to use when driving that was easier, quicker, etc. than factory.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was talk of a "Bikini Top" awhile back. It rolled up in a 4" roll, stored easy. The fault is you could not go faster than 55 or it would blow off. I fogot who made it. Try a search.

Dean

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Biff @ Vipermania has a hard top that uses the same holes that goes on in ~3-5 mins. Try to get in touch with him, he would be glad to help, I'm sure. Good luck with your quest! At least, Tony's not goin to the bright side of Vipers (RT/10), shame if he does. Just kidding Tony and RT10 owners!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB had a cover of _some_ sort for the RT that I wish I'd bought... it covered the top and the windows down to the mirrors. It _looked_ good, but I'm not sure how well it worked. But it looked good. And it looked like it would have worked.

JD

Thats more of a cover to keep the sun, leaves, pollen, and stuff out of the interior when the car is parked outside with the hard or soft top off. I have one of those that came with the car in a nice logo storage bag. I call that a "bikini cover".
What is the "tonneau cover" I hear about?
Thanks

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the $2500 Hard top from the Gen II RT/10 and cut it in half. THEN put a piano hinge straight up the middle. Fold in half, stick in trunk and away we go.....

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "bikini cover" is just used when you don't want the sun, pollen, leaves (don't know if will hold up to a "brief" sprinkle)to foul the interior. Used while at work, outing etc. It is opaque and NOT meant to be used while driving (hey, somewhere there's a guy.......)

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I was looking into one to replace my wife's 2000 Porsche 911. She really misses the open top of her 2001 BoxterS (that I totalled :( DANG I ****) Is the rt/10 close to the convertible feeling with the top down ? How hard is the soft top to put on and take off.....for a lady ?

Anybody have a broken/busted/bad hard top for sell cheap. This needs to be solved. Would two halves of a hard top fit in the trunk ?

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The soft top is a pain in the a...
The hard top weighs to much for a lady to put on.
We need a easy to use soft top!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the $2500 Hard top from the Gen II RT/10 and cut it in half. THEN put a piano hinge straight up the middle. Fold in half, stick in trunk and away we go.....

Won't work. Either way of "halving" it would still be too big to fit.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "bikini cover" is just used when you don't want the sun, pollen, leaves (don't know if will hold up to a "brief" sprinkle)to foul the interior. Used while at work, outing etc. It is opaque and NOT meant to be used while driving (hey, somewhere there's a guy.......)

Assuming you mean the Mopar one, the cockpit cover will hold up to a very, very heavy all-day rainstorm as long as it's properly attached (very taut, with windows up). Mine regularly endures mid-day Florida showers without incident. As long as you keep it well Scotchguarded, you can just carefully lift up one side and let the water run off, and drive away high and dry. (Well, dry anyway.)

The standard soft top folds into three sections and fills about 85% of the trunk. A hard top folded in half wouldn't come close to fitting in the trunk. And as others noted, the hard top is way too heavy for most women to lift by themselves. I prefer to have help if somebody is nearby. It isn't really that heavy to carry, but it's extremely awkward to lift it straight up off the car (or lower it down into position).

The soft top really isn't that bad once you've assembled it a few times, and it's not remotely as heavy as the hard top, although I do think it Mopar did the bare minimum in terms of R&D. A little aluminum and carbon fiber would go a long way towards making it much lighter and more managable, and for the relatively complicated assembly process it still makes a lot of noise at speed unless you remember to cinch up the velcro wraps along the crossmembers.

I was very interested in the prototype lightweight easy-up replacement soft top MadMax (I think?) was describing last year. I guess he never finished, or maybe never went to production.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, My wife has driven a 01 rt/10 for two days and loves it....BUT.....for a lady even the soft top is to heavy to put on the car, at least without possibly scracthing the paint. She leaves for work early and being cold natured she would have to have some kind of soft top on. She would have help removing it but then I worry about afternoon thunderstorms and her being caught out on the road and not being able to get the top on.

McGuireV10, The mopar cover......can the car be driven with it on.....low speeds ? 45 mph ?

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
McGuireV10, The mopar cover......can the car be driven with it on.....low speeds ? 45 mph ?

No, it's a cover, not a top. It stretches from the trunk area, over the top, and down over the windshield. Which I think is why ViperJoe said "it's opaque". :)

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon Tony, solve the problem by getting her an SRT10--that will make it up to her. :)

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, This from an attorney and a bank examiner. Guys...I drive a bus....she is my boss :laugh: I don't have any $$$ or an SRT would be berry berry nice. Its a 35k upgrade, the rt is a 7k upgrade.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj
did ya measure are you sure cutting it in half it still wont fit.
darn it.. we need a easy to use emergency top...
hello Biff, Buller, Ferris, anyone....

i am considering plastic and a roll of duct tape!!

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
grrrrrrrrrrrr......

I did a quick look with the soft top and it looks like 1/2 of the top would not fit. Did I say grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did ya measure are you sure cutting it in half it still wont fit.

If you've ever assembled/disassembled the soft top, you'd know it won't fit. The soft top barely fits into the trunk folded into thirds, and it's the same size as the hard top (for a hopefully obvious reason).

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, with what Biff (Vipermania) did with his new "clear" RT/10 top and his upcoming SRT/10 top, HE would be the guy that could do it if anybody can!

Lets flood him with emails of "please, please, please......." :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62