Gen 1 RT Aftermarket Car Stereo Install??

DMC94

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
First of all: Get a factoy manual so you can see what each of the leads from the factory harness is for. After that, the way I installed my Kenwood deck was to cut the leads from the back of the factory deck harness and splice them into the corresponding leads on the back of the aftermarket deck. It works fine and you don't need an adapter.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd buy a second OEM radio and harness and use those to put the aftermarket together. That way you will always have your original to put back in case you decide you want to return to original.

I just hate cutting up original wiring.

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it myself and it is easy. Call your local Dodge dealer and have them photo copy the wiring diagram for your radio. Then just cut the wires BETWEEN the radio and the factory plug like mentioned above. Then connect your new radio wires to the correct wires on the car.

I have a wiring diagram here at home if you want to call. 319 470 2873 Brett

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I have done with other stereos is to find out what kind of connector they use on the factory harness. I go down to my local electronics store and pick up that connector plus one that matches the aftermarket, the pins necessary for those connectors and solder up my own adaptor. A little more work but it's cleaner and no cutting of any of the wires on the factory harness or the new deck.

Edit: A good source for connector types is the Newark Electronics catalog. If you have an electronics lab where you work where they put together circuit boards and such, they will most likely have a few of these catalogs sitting around. If not, you can get one from Newark mailed out to you pretty quick.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a new Kenwood stereo in my '93 last summer. I don't recall, but perhaps I used the stock connector and spliced in the new wires.

I will email you a copy from my 1993 service manual for the wire description. (that is if you let me know your email address, Carlos)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456