Push Button Engine Start

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather has been so bad in New York the Viper has been in the garage more than out. A good time to install some additions. Since the Push Button Engine Start was one of the few things I liked about the '03 Viper, I decided to add one to my '99.

56push_button_start-med.JPG

56push_button_start_close-med.JPG

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper, I don't mean to flame, but didn't you post on this a while back, or are you borrowing someone else's pics? kinda confused.

OP
OP
V

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted it about 3 weeks ago but on another discussion forum in response to a question. They are my pics and my car. Just thought I'd show the Viper community the install as a main post. Didn't mean to confuse you.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I remember how well you said the install was, and how meticulous your mechanic is. I like how it matches your shifter, adds to it.
P.S. I didn't mean to reply too quickly and sound accusing. I guess I reacted too quickly anyhow after going back and re-reading.

Jim, he's in NY, so if you're thinking of getting it done as well, that may be your place to go. Just don't change the red to yellow! just kidding :D

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOOKS GREAT
WAS it easy to install ?
once running does the switch become non useable?
is it a OEM 03 part?

OP
OP
V

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have liked to use the '03 SRT/10 button, however, that button is recessed into the formed dash so I needed something that would flush fit and had a trim ring/bezel.
Here is the web site for the push button starter (about $40)
www.mach3accessories.com
Easy to install-Yes, but the relay switch was a little weak so my mechanic picked up a new one that he was more comfortable with.
Functional-Yes, fully. The key needs to be in and in the second position and the clutch needs to be depressed. Once running the start button becomes unusable.

If I were to do it again, I might use the OEM Start button from an '03 and place it where the auto mirror control is and relocate the mirror control. It would look more integral to the dash.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but the relay switch was a little weak so my mechanic picked up a new one that he was more comfortable with If I were to do it again, I might use the OEM Start button from an '03 and place it where the auto mirror control is and relocate the mirror control. It would look more integral to the dash.

Can you provide the make and model of the relay that your mechanic used?
Thanks

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know. The whole thing bugs me ever since on the '03 I realized you still need a key. It should be a remote entry as enough to arm the ignition, then just push a button. Or, a combination code on the dash like a keyless entry on the door with a push button. To me, if you need a key, it sort of kills the feature. I don't think Batman ever needed a key.

AC

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know. The whole thing bugs me ever since on the '03 I realized you still need a key. It should be a remote entry as enough to arm the ignition, then just push a button. Or, a combination code on the dash like a keyless entry on the door with a push button. To me, if you need a key, it sort of kills the feature. I don't think Batman ever needed a key.

AC

I believe I saw another new luxury sports car out now that has a push button start and the key (or was it a key card of some sort) just has to be in the area to allow the button to work.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 questions about the button Tony.

1-does is come with install instructions?

2-does is disable the key start so the button HAS to be used or can the key be used also?

OP
OP
V

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy,
The button does come with instructions but I'm a chicken with electronics so I had my mechanic install it.
Car can be started with either turning the key or pushing the button.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely very retro :) It's interesting to see how thing go back to the past designs. Some things never go out of style! I remember my old ford tractor having a foot push-button starter and my 'mog uses a dash push button.. though on a functional note i have to add that the mog starter does have a ring around the pushbutton so that it doesn't accidentally get pushed, might be a nice addition to one of those modded buttons if you put it in a "busy" area of your car.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AC

I believe I saw another new luxury sports car out now that has a push button start and the key (or was it a key card of some sort) just has to be in the area to allow the button to work.

The 2003 500 SL comes with a credit card sized transmitter that will unlock the doors when you come near and enable the push button starter on the shifter.

It would be nice if the we could do away with key and have just the push button starter. I agree with Andrew2KRT10, it kind of defeats the purpose.

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a push button start also and put it where the ugly mirror switch was. then put the mirror switch on the panel under the steering column where its barely seen or used for that matter . i bought my switch from honda the one used on the "S2000" . Cost $38. used no relay just connected to the ignition switch but still needs the clutch depressed to work . You need to remove the whole upper dash to do it right . Plus the honda switch has numerous pins on the back so you have to sort it out. Would try the 2003 viper switch if i did it again but this one looks great and the mirror hole is perfect . Crutchfield sells a shift knob that has remote buttons on it that works various things so the options are never ending...

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any luck on the relay part No????

Standard 30amp relay will work. JEGS, Summit, or your local auto or motorcycle parts place.

Would be more direct to just tap into the starter relay instead of adding
another relay. Just tap into the ignition wire that runs to the 86 spade of
the starter relay -

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP
Your knowledge is endles and priceless sounds like you should be a VIPER TECH. :cool:

Is there any harm just taking it from the ignition as posted above also this way would the switch be permanetly live, (when engine running would button still work or is it dead)

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP
Your knowledge is endles and priceless sounds like you should be a VIPER TECH. :cool:

Is there any harm just taking it from the ignition as posted above also this way would the switch be permanetly live, (when engine running would button still work or is it dead)

Thanks for the compliment, but I just have a lot 'useless' knowledge from years of having to do things myself, and
it never hurts my feelings, if a real Viper tech corrects me.
As far as what source to tap into, to get power to your relay -
it's up to you. There are advantages and negatives to the 2 sources -
First you could just tap into a battery source - the negatives are obvious but
one advantage is you can crank your motor without the ignition on for
diagnostic work - *this is not for most.
Second you could just tap into a switched ignition wire - make sure it is a
wire from ignition on not just accessory.
There may be other options that don't come to mind, *I haven't really followed
this thread closely - I might have missed something.
But I will comment on anything about wiring, just ask.

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By connecting the wires to the ignition switch direct the push button does the same job only in a different location.The button will work the starter all the time as long as the clutch is depressed.This is the easy way but you can install a relay that is powered with the ignition on in order to crank the car.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Had a starter button put on my 93 RT/10 in 1997. The button and idea came from the 1998 Bentley Continental T. It was a fairly expensive button, but the best looking one I have seen. Cost was about $150. Has no words on it which I like. Works like the Bentley, can start with key or button. Team Viper liked it...a lot!

Have picture but don't know how to post it.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2801993_Viper_RT10_pushbuttonstarter_George_Farris_of_VCA.jpg

George, here's your pic!
1993 Viper RT/10 with push-button starter.
Talk about professional looking. Sharp!

You must be registered for see images

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a guy in the VA/MD region a couple years ago, I think he was from VA, with a full custom 93-95 RT/10 with a Bently push start button as well.