Wheel well clearance measurement

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an unusual request -- would somebody with stock 18" rims and Michelin Pilots please measure the vertical clearance between the tire and the inside of the splash shield at the location marked by the X below? That's the passenger side, in line with the last ridge for the water-bottle cut-out, and more or less in the center of the ****. It should be roughly at the centerline of the tire with the tire lined up straight.

You must be registered for see images

This whole area of my car is very disassembled at the moment. It seems easier to ask the hundreds of people with fully-assembled cars rather than spend two hours putting mine back together, then another 90 minutes taking it apart again. (Sorry, unlike Chuck, I can't just check the other Viper...)

To whomever bothers, thank you, I owe you beers at the next VOI.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
McGuireV10,

The vertical clearance I've got (as per your picture) is 4 7/8" on a 2001 stock ACR sitting on a level surface with nobody sitting in the car. An RT/10 may sit a bit higher. Hope this helps,

-David

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you David.

Chuck -- you already know. ;)

(God I hate these new smileys... they're so f*cking... SMILEY.)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Before you waste time with 1/4" rivets putting the wheel wells back in, go to NAPA and get some reuseable plastic rivets like the one on the battery box. Makes detailing the engine compartment a snap.

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dean, hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll finally get the last of that Pecos asphalt out of there, LOL.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steel hex head 6mm nutserts are excellent for holding on the wheel wells, as secure as the standard rivets they can be used with a 6mm stainless button head allen screw. I have used these and the 5mm size extensively on my GTS, with no failures to date. Makes the wheel wells really easy to remove.