Detailed Valentine 1 Hardwire Instructions for SRT-10 Inside

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Spent this evening hardwiring the V1. Took about 1.5 to 2 hours. It will probably take you a lot less time after reading my instructions.

Tools required: 3/16 allen wrench, #20 torx bit, medium sized phillips head screwdriver, pliers, electrical tape, scissors, and all of the electrical splicing supplies the V1 came with.

1. Remove top portion of center console (area housing the emergency brake and shifter). This is really easy to do and there is very little chance of damaging anything, all of the components are very sturdy. Remove the alluminum shifter housing which is held in place by 6 allen bolts (be carefull with this piece as it is very easy to scratch). Raise the leather sleeve and reach under the rear portion of the console and lift straigh up; do the same thing to the front portion and the console will be free to lift about 6-8 inches.

2. Take the wiring harness connector provided in the V1 kit and apply it to the pop up outlet power wire with a pair of pliers. There are 2 wires, a plain black and another black with a red stripe. The correct one to tap into is the one with the stripe.

3. Remove the phillips screw from the foremost position (I think this may even be the only screw there, can't remember) of the composite piece under the console. This will give you room to feed your wires.

4. Disconnect the red wire from the direct wire power adapter provided in the V1 kit by unscrewing the fuse connection. Feed this up under the center console and plug it into the wiring harness connector. Reconnect the fuse wire.

5. Reinstall the center console. Be sure to be carefull with the alluminum shifter housing. It can only be installed in one partucular fashion. There are 2 studs on the bottom of it of different sized that must match up with holes in the console base.

6. Ground the direct wire power adapter. The screw holding the drivers knee bolster is perfect for this. Unscrew the one closest to the center console and insert the black grounding cable then screw it back in.

7. Position your V1. Ideally you want it high so you can recieve signals from the rear as well. I put mine above and just to the left of the rear view mirror.

7. Run the phone cord. There is a space between the top portion of the windshield and the glass itself just large enough to enclose the cord from view. You will need 3 pieces of electrical tape 1 inch long that are cut in half lengthwise to help secure the cord into this crevace.

8. Remove the cap to the a pilar with your torx bit and then run the cord down the A pilar to the drivers foot well.

9. Secure the power adapter under the knee bolster and plug the phone cord into it. Make sure all of the wires are neatly tucked away and not in contact with the drivers footwell lightbulb as this thing gets really hot.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, I was just to lazy I guess. If anyone has any questions feel free to send them my way.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write-up. I did a similar installation except I spliced into a wire leading to the ignition switch. I would estimate it as a similar level of work, though I have not removed the console. In that installation I tapped into the light blue wire coming from the ignition switch into the main wiring bundle under the steering column.

I did the same as far as mounting and wiring the detector on top.

BTW, step 1 sounds very easy in the instructions. that was the first method I was going to try but I couldn't figure out how to remove the console top. You mention it was easy. What's the trick (for us non-interior engineering types)?

OP
OP
V

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ron,

The only thing holding the top portion of the center console in place after you remove the shifter housing are 4 plastic clips that are actually part of the console. They connect in a clip like or male to female fashion--kind of like the cap on a pen. Not the best explanation, but I hope this helps.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the radio/HVAC bezel need to be pulled first? Looks like it overhangs the console a little.

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the instructions! I did mine this past weekend and it was quite simple. I wired mine down the Passenger side A pillar since I mounted the V1 just to the right and above the rear view mirror.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did mine last night. This post was of great help....especially the instructions about how to get the console cover off. I also routed mine on the passenger side and mounted the V1 to the right and above the rearview mirror.
Thanks.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never posted after I finished doing mine earlier this year. I found no need to pull the console. I mounted the V1 on the windshield above and to the right of the mirror. I then positioned the wires along the top of the windshield and down the drivers side A pillar. I used electrical tape to keep the wires in place along the top. I placed it inside the a pillar so nothing is seen there. I mounted a remote unit near the a pillar on top of the speaker grill. Keeps the V1 dark and puts the light more in the field of vision. I then routed the wires under the dash. I connected the power wire to the light blue wire leading to the ignition switch. You only have to remove the knee bolster and steering column surround to do that. The blue wire is switched so that the V1 operates only when the ignition is in the on position. It is not on when in the accessory position. I prefer that so you do not have to switch off the V1 when listening to the stereo with the engine off.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to install my V-1 this weekend. I will take some pics as i go. But i am going to wire like what viper srt said in his last post.

Robert

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had taken pics I would provide them. But I sure am not going to redo the steps now. However, it was quite simple once you figure how to take the panels off. My methos was to tap into the ignition wire as indicated above. It has been flawless over the past 2 years. Even survived autocross and Gingerman (both times forgot to take it down the first time on the track :( ).

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I haven't hardwired my V 1 yet, almost always have the top down and don't want it "borrowed", so it goes up while driving and back into the trunk when parked. Good info. Everyone here seems to like the V 1. Mine has saved my butt several times already.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By mistake I posted the pics in the Paxton thread. Sorry but I have no idea how to move it.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Put em in both. Nice install!

100_2062.JPG

100_2063.JPG

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper SRT

"I connected the power wire to the light blue wire leading to the ignition switch. You only have to remove the knee bolster and steering column surround to do that. The blue wire is switched so that the V1 operates only when the ignition is in the on position."

----------------------------------------------------------
My SRT-10 (03) doesn't have a solid light blue wire going to the ignition switch. It does have a light blue and red striped wire and a light blue and black striped wire.

Do you remember which one you hooked up to?

Thanks.

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper SRT

"I connected the power wire to the light blue wire leading to the ignition switch. You only have to remove the knee bolster and steering column surround to do that. The blue wire is switched so that the V1 operates only when the ignition is in the on position."

----------------------------------------------------------
My SRT-10 (03) doesn't have a solid light blue wire going to the ignition switch. It does have a light blue and red striped wire and a light blue and black striped wire.

Do you remember which one you hooked up to?

Thanks.

Did you ever get an answer on this?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been a long time since I did this. For a 2003 it was a dark blue wire as you can see in the wiring diagram below. For other years look it up in the service manual to verify the wire coloor. Note this allows the Valentine to operate only when in run and not in accessory (this is my preference).
498Ignition_Switch.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave