SRT/10 oil change in Chicago area (help)

Sam Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my car at Ronanoke but 350 miles down and back is a bit much for oil change. Who/dealer are person has got SRT/10 experience in north suburbs area of Chicago? My local dealer (took my RT/10 there) has not seen touched one and do not feel good about being first. Thanks VCA# 07587

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam -

No sarcasm intended, but why not buy the oil and filter at your local autoparts store and then swing by a Quick Lube joint and have them do it? Mine will do it for free and let me watch the whole process in case I am worried. Taking off a filter and unscrewing a bolt is not a 5-star procedure, in my very humble opinion. Of course, some folks prefer all work be done at the local Dodge dealer and more power to them. For me it is too expensive ($120 here) and more "dangerous" with all the car jockeys zipping around with minivans, etc. Not to mention watching them trying to drive a low car over some of the lift supports. With a quick lube place (I go to Valvoline and bring my Mobil 1), you drive your car in and out with nobody getting in your car.

If I had a lift or jack I would do it myself, but getting it done for free is even easier. It is interesting when you drive past the local Walmart service bay and see a GT2 on the lifts there (I avoid the lifts and thus prefer the quick lube joints). Any other service? Dodge dealer all the way. Oil change? Nope.

Chris

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to what Chris said the SRT is just about identical to a Gen II for an oil change. One of the easiest cars I have had for an oil change. Filter is vertical and in the open (unless your Gen II has the recall done wrong :(

I always do the oil change myself. A lift certainly makes it easier.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chris. We take our Vipers to the local Merlins Muffler shop. We bring the oil and filter, they take care of the rest. They are always happy to have a Viper in there, so they don't charge us a dime. I do the same with our Vette, and they charge me 10 bucks!! :(

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the oil filter located exactly?, anyone have pics?

Ask and ye shall receive...

You must be registered for see images

To get your bearings, the front of the car is towards the top left and the back of the car towards the bottom right. That is an A/C line strapped to the front of the oil pan. Even more interesting: The earlier SRT's had that same line, only they were all rubber with no aluminum in the middle. Prime targets for road debris, which makes me suddenly wonder if that could be the A/C problem some members are experiencing...

Chris

PS. And this picture was from a few months ago. I don't have a lift and so cannot get a better picture right now. Sorry!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a picture from straight below. The oil filter is at the left (front). Note I have a rubber a/c hose and not a metal hose like Chris showed. My car was assembled on 1/16/03.

225P3230015.jpg

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might also note that they changed the oil pans too. I know for a fact that there have already been some running changes on the car. What is interesting is that my car is apparently an earlier car than yours - I picked it up at Woodhouse on 1/18/03. I wonder what the pan and A/C hoses look like on the cars being delivered now...

Chris

OP
OP
S

Sam Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well haven't looked real close but thought the fast lube places had a steel lip 3 to 4 inches high around pit opening so couldn't drive over that. I will have to go and look at situation closer. Frankly those guys scare me with a regular car that I have gone to.
How often do you lube the suspension points and if I remember manual you have to remove rear tires? I will look at manual again but would like your input. Thanks

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The quick lube places have a relatively low lip around the pit - definitely below the Viper, especially the SRT-10. I NEVER have them lube the points and have my Dodge dealer inspect them when it is in for anything else. Get this: On my GTS, which I can't remember ever getting lubed at all in 25,000 miles, Woodhouse found that they had been over-greased. And nobody ever touched them - I was always there to watch.

Check your manual to see how often Dodge recommends lubing the points. I don't think it is nearly as often as an oil change and certainly can't be critical in the first few hundred miles. Hopefully somebody will correct me if I am wrong!

Chris

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can go out to Bill Sampognaro's place on Saturdays and do it at his shop. Bring the oil, filter and a messy set of cloth's and you can do it in about 10 minutes. They have a blast talking viper all day and then you get to learn more about the car.