Squealing Brakes

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've put about 400 miles on my 02 RT/10 since I bought it two weeks ago.

Car runs/performs great (for a stock vehicle anyway ;) ) but the brakes squeal when applied lightly (like in traffic). I read in the owners manual that a certain amount of brake noise is normal.

The pads are probably the originals and likely have 3K miles on them.

The noise drives me crazy.

Is this normal?

If it is, can anyone recommend alternative brake pads?

Thanks.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the huge amount of brake dust gathering quickly on my wheels also normal for the stock pads?

Yes. In fact, it is normal for any performance pad. There must be a million threads on this subject. In short, if you want less noise and dust call Steve for some EBCs, if you want performance you'll have to deal with the noise and dust.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem dealing with the noise and dust I just wanted to make sure it was normal for the stock pads.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My EBC Greens started squealing just as bad as the stock brakes after I had about 1,000 miles on them. Up until then, they were completely noise free, so I don't think it is a bedding issue. Anyone else experience this?

-- Ken

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gone through several sets of greens and reds and seem to recall some light squealing with greens. Not enough for me to remember for sure though.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
EBC Greens stop 90% of dust and 80% - 100% of squeek, depending on CLIMATE and how you drive....
PartsRack can do your whole car for under $145.....or just the fronts, where the squeek is!

Climate / rotor issues.

If you wash-wet your rotors, they QUICKLY get a haze of rusty oxidation. If you live in a damp or humid climate (WA,OR, or near salt water) you get it even faster.

When you brake lightly, just toolin around town, this residue inpregnates / glazes the safter Arimid EBC pad and SQUEEK can return.

As someone said above, go bed em again.....wear off the residue with a few (3-4) hard, threshold stops from 60 or 70.