How Cold Should The A/C Be?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First hot day of the here near Philly, and I drove the GTS to work. It seems to take entirely too long to cool down the car inside. I have a gauge in the center vent but have not driven far enough to get a reading.

I also noticed a similar problem in my 02 GT Mustang yesterday.

I am told by my local techs that with R134, you should not expect much more than 20 degrees below what the air temp is outside.

Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the sight glass which is in front of the evaporator / under the hood behind the right front tire on top of the dryer. If you see bubbles, you have a leak and the A/C could be better. If you see pure fluid, it's as good as it gets, short of adding exhaust insulation.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm comfortable in mine. No complaints and no matter how hot it gets in Philly it doesn't compare to the FL sun beating on you all day.

BTW I had an oil leak that deteriorated some A/C o-rings and drained the refrigerant. Thanks to Larry of Macedo Motorsports for fixing both the oil and A/C leaks.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thread headline question - How could should the A/C be?

As cold as it takes to freeze your nuts, at least from the "crotch vents". That's my only peeve with the Viper.

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR Joe....Rain? It will be here for the weekend, I am sure.

Thanks for the info guys... I figured it was "normal", but wanted to check. the sight glass is clear.

A good friend of mine is an HVAC Tech, and according to him...anything more than 20 degrees below outside air temp is all you can hope for with R134.

The A/C in my '72 Plymouth with R12 will freeze your...well, Viperzilla...you know what I mean.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

My A/C was just recharged two months ago, so if you wanna meet up one night this week, let me know and you can sample it as a baseline.

Drop me an email if you're interested.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave