I did a simple 20 min upgrade on my suspension. SImple! Pics inside!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am slowly replacing my bushings in my Viper. I went to Autozone and picked up these relatively cheap poly bushings for my sway bar. It took me about ten minutes to do it. Not bad and they are also greasable too. Not sure why I would want to greas them, but anyways...here's the before and after shots. My rubber bushings look worn.

You must be registered for see images

Yeah baby! My Viper is highly modded now!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nope, Don't feel a thing. It's still on jack stands. I have some more stuff to do to it. I'm still looking for my Clunk!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clunk? Had a clunk on my Intrepid that took forever to find - it turned out to be the tie rod end type sway bar end links. I didn't find it because I always had one wheel up, one down, so there was no free play. Just a thought...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to grease them because the poly doesn't move with the bar like rubber does. Therefor friction and where there's friction there's wear. You should put a thin coat of grease on them before installing.

Now, you gonna track that thing or just putz around talking about your bushings?

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck is right on - also, you may get some incredible squeaking and groaning from the bushings if you don't grease them.

Also, it's normal for them to squeak a little afterwards (a few days tops) as the grease permeates.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, Don't feel a thing. It's still on jack stands. I have some more stuff to do to it. I'm still looking for my Clunk!!

Ab, First, I have to admit I have no experience in these matters as of yet but I have a couple observations based on common sense: First, the new bushing the way you have it installed in the picture looks to be crooked and has longer oval shaped holes for attachment instead of the stock u-ring that has the holes that exactly fit the attachment screws. I think the stock u-ring makes for perfect alignment for the sway bar. Secondly, the stock bushing has the slit in it where it comes into contact with the frame at say 12 o'clock. Your replacement bushings have the slit at 3 or 9 o'clock. I would imagine when the sway bar does its interaction/transfer with the suspension movement the slit is thicker and not braced against the frame and is exposed to the torsion of the swaybar forces. I do not know if that is a good idea to use that particular bushing. Maybe some of the road racing tuners have some proven, Viper specific bushings that will do the trick in the capacity of the Viper design parameters.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
jimandela : You can get them at Autozone. The cost on them were pretty cheap. $16.99 for the pair.

Vipertroll...I mean Viperjoe..I think you are my biggest post fan! Thanks! Yes, I am an ebay troll. If you look at what time I did some of the post, it will confirm I'm crazy! ha!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
20 minutes to install? HA!

Takes me 20 minutes to get it up!

(Jack the car up, I mean)

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So what you trying to say Paolo?? I made a bad decision! heh! Just kidding, I think they will do just fine. It's a tight fit and also the flanges are longer than the stock ones. I looked at the bracket and the bolt mounting. There's no adjustment on it. So it's just the way it looks I guess. I will have to double check again. thanks!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tight fit and also the flanges are longer than the stock ones. I looked at the bracket and the bolt mounting. There's no adjustment on it. So it's just the way it looks I guess. I will have to double check again. thanks!

Ab, I would just double check for symmetry as the last thing you need is the car pulling unevenly under hard braking and/or cornering!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic, don’t you know the amount of time estimated for shadetree maintenance never includes the 30 minutes “getting it up”, or the crawling back and forth for the “correct size tool”, or the looking for the bolt you dropped and rolled away, or the 30 minutes “going down,” or the clean up?

You only include the time the wrench is actually on the bolt, ignore everything else.

It’s the same mentality as saying your car is “stock, all that’s different is...”

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha,

"bone stock, except for the mods"

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB, do you know the part #'s? I pulled the part #'s out of the Energy Suspension catalog and they wouldn't come up in the AZ comp. system.