Clutch fully depressed won't engage ignition (starter)

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clutch fully depressed won\'t engage ignition (starter)

Has anyone experienced this problem. Over the last few weeks, I have notice that I have to practically put my foot on the clutch and push it through the firewall to get it to start.

Any suggestions before I take it in for service?

1996 Rt-10 (12k miles)

ubnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Clutch fully depressed won\'t engage ignition (starter)

I have had the same problem with mine. Let me know if you figure what to do about it.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do a search on clutch safety switch. Common problem. Try pushing the clutch down and to on side. I just rewired mine to bypass the switch. (it will now try to start in gear with the clutch out-but I have had lots of experiance with older cars without this feature so no problems)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey dansauto,
Can you post a schematic(sp) on teh rewire process/connections?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I got my car, the switch was bypassed. The dealer who was doing the state inspection insisted on replacing the whole thing before it would pass.

The switch position is adjustable, if I remember right. You probably just need to take a look under there and check out how to move it a little.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try pulling your floor mat back away from underneath the clutch pedal. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
R

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeff, Thanks!!!

Now I feel stupid. I just got new mats for the car. I will test it tonight. It may still need a slight adjustment. Thanks for your input guys.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

9 times out of 10 it's those darn floor mats that get in the way...

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do a search on clutch safety switch. Common problem. Try pushing the clutch down and to on side. ....

Just to let everyone know... the "push down and to one side" work-around.. is not a work-around.

The prior owner of my 1996 RT...did just that... well what that was doing was distorting the path of the clutch pedal mechanism. Ended up popping the clutch pedal bushing out of the "eye".... and damaged the clutch pedal.... now it is costing me $200 to replace the clutch pedal.

Had the prior owner just had the dealer install a new clutch switch..... problem would have been solved.. instead the work-around just cost me $200.

A work-around that is better would be by-pass the switch... or shim up the switch so it engages without having to force the clutch pedal into a movement that was not designed.

Rant over.

Lance

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do a search on clutch safety switch. Common problem. Try pushing the clutch down and to on side. ....

Just to let everyone know... the "push down and to one side" work-around.. is not a work-around.

The prior owner of my 1996 RT...did just that... well what that was doing was distorting the path of the clutch pedal mechanism. Ended up popping the clutch pedal bushing out of the "eye".... and damaged the clutch pedal.... now it is costing me $200 to replace the clutch pedal.

Had the prior owner just had the dealer install a new clutch switch..... problem would have been solved.. instead the work-around just cost me $200.

A work-around that is better would be by-pass the switch... or shim up the switch so it engages without having to force the clutch pedal into a movement that was not designed.

Rant over.

Lance

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A work-around that is better would be by-pass the switch... or shim up the switch so it engages without having to force the clutch pedal into a movement that was not designed. :rolleyes:

Rant over.

Lance

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same problem with the 94 this Spring. I jumped the clutch saftey switch and it works fine now.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HA! Funny, 'cause when I got my 1994 RT/10, I couldn't start it. Found out the clutch had to be pushed in and over to the side a bit for the car to stop. Tech asked me if I wanted them to fix this, and I said "No." I thought it would be a good anti-theft option ;)

About a week before my car got rear ended, I took it to a sushi place in San Diego and parked it in the Valet line in front of the restaurant. I had the side windows in and the hard top on. I gave the keys to the Valet who was a bit busy with all the cars, so I walked into the restaurant with my friend. Well they can park about 3 cars there before it's full and then they move the cars out one by one to allow room for other cars. As my friend and I sat there outside eating, it was hilarious to see this guy try to figure out how to get in my car. There wasn't a door handle and it took the help of two other Valet guys to figure out how to slide the little window over and open the door from the inside. Then they tried to start it and just couldn't figure it out. I almost got up to go help them but chose to just keep watching. After about 3 or 4 minutes, they gave up and my car sat there in front of the restaurant for all to see, until I left. I like my clutch.

The brakes on the Viper ****, though! Did I ever mention that? ;)

OP
OP
R

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeff, You were bang on. I slid the floor mat further down and now it starts ever shot.

Thanks again!