Door panel upgrades: carpet and "cup" door pull

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Door panel upgrades: carpet and \"cup\" door pull

While I'm tackling the interior of my car, I'm curious on what sorts of upgrades other have done to the door panels. I'm aware of the leather upgrades by Venzano and SnakeHydes, but not interested in going that route. I think the stock door panels look nice, other than the nasty carpet on the bottom, and the fact that the armrests don't come anywhere near a comfortable position.
At the least, I'd like to have the lower carpet replaced with either some black vinyl to match the black portion on top, or maybe a carbon fiber shell. I'd also like to get the plastic "cup" pulls replaced (mine have cracks in the screw holes) with either cf or Al pieces. Does anyone make these sorts of things?
Ideally, I'd love to have the armrests completely redone so that they are actually useful, but I've never anything like that available.

As always, any suggestions/thoughts appreciated!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Door panel upgrades: carpet and

There's a company on ebay selling the door handle surrounds made of aluminum. They look nice and they are cheaper than the stock ones.

I've thought about covering the door carpet area with a fitted piece of aluminum, or stainless.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Door panel upgrades: carpet and \"cup\" door pull

I'd also like to get the plastic "cup" pulls replaced (mine have cracks in the screw holes) with either cf or Al pieces. Does anyone make these sorts of things?

Don't know if any after market handles, but if the cracks bother you to the point of replacement, call Chuck Tator. 914-763-3136.

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Door panel upgrades: carpet and \"cup\" door pull

I agree, the carpet on the doors looks bad - has anyone replaced this effectively? Where did you locate replacement pieces?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure if I understand correctly. But I believe you are talking about the plastic inserts in the center of the armrests and not around the door handle. I noticed one of mine also has a small crack. The screws also discolored. I have not seen any after market parts for there. Might be easy enough to cover them in thin vinyl. The lower carpet doesn't bother me. It is much friendlier for shoe hits as compared to the SRT where the total surface is grained plastic. I don't know why but I hit it too frequently when getting into the SRT. That would be my concen as it may show these scrapes more readily.

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, I meant the plastic inserts in the armrests. Every
Viper I've seen has cracks in those pieces, including one which supposedly has only 2k miles on it, so I'm not sure new replacements would last very long. I'm really surprised no one makes a billet replacement or something.
As for the upper door handles, I'm tossed between trying to fit the GenII pieces in there, or getting the billet ones. I just saw an old thread which said the GenII pieces were made of unobtanium, so I might nix that route...

I spoke with a buddy of mine last night about the carpet on the doors; sent him some pics too. He's pretty handy
with fiberglass/carbon fiber, and thinks making a cf replacement wouldn't be too difficult. Black cf shouldn't
show up any scuffing; could probably wax it to keep problems to a minimum. I need to pull off the panel and send it off to him; I'm hoping I can separate the lower section from the rest. So much for getting my car back together quickly...