Take the bolts for the jack and spare tire away?

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello everyone

I like to take the bolts for the jack and the spare tire away. Can I take the bolts away? How do I do that? or do I have to cut them.

You must be registered for see images

I dont need to have the jack and the tire with me and I like to have the cargo compartment clean.

regards

Tomas

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You might want to do a search on "spare tire safety" on this forum.

The spare tire is suppose to help reduce occupant injuries in rear end collisions. I'm no expert but you might want to read those threads before you cut that bolt off.

Regards.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the spare is a structual part of the crash worthiness of the car. you cannot run in Viperdays without a spare in place. i would not drive without it

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a tire not a safety device. its an attorneys wetdream to consider it as anything other than what it is; a spare tire.

S

Stang7900

Sounds like to me if someone rearends you that fast, that spare will hit you in the lower back...snappage!! I would think you would be seriously hurt either way.

BTW- Who stops long enough for someone to do that?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the spare IS part of the crash protection of the car, this also leads me to believe that all crash worthiness tests were done w/ the spare in place. this would also lead me to believe that the bolted in tire becomes part of the frame and crumple zone in the car. if i am wrong i am sure someone will chime in and tell me.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with SylvanSRT. The rear tire adds to the structural rigidity of the rear end. It sounds kinda weird but think about how strong a wheel rim needs to be to withstand the pounding forces of potholes etc. I'm guessing that the engineers used the rigidity of the wheel to allow less material on the vehicle for weight savings.

I would not drive without the spare on the street or track except maybe autocross. But then again why would you want to lighten up the tail end of the vehicle and unbalance the weight ratio?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to get the owners manual out to look but does it say anything about keeping the spare in place as a safety thing? If the book doesn't tell you that, it probably isn't a safety thing.
And, if it is a safety thing, what about the short time when you mount the spare and drive to get the other tire fixed? Are you courting death for those miles? ;-)

If I was going to cut mine off, I think I would leave about 3/8" of the screws in place. You could screw an acorn nut over the remaining stud. Then if you wanted to restore it to stock, you could use a threaded spacer to connect the stud to the cut off part.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All modern cars have structural rigidity and crushability built in, if you remove the spare tire you remove some of your protection either in a rear end crash on the street or track. This has been discussed many times here and searching will reveal the comments. The Viper days requirement shoud be a solid heads up for anyone doubting the argument. As to the argument about changing your wheel..Where you gonna put the damaged tire and wheel? That's right, back where the spare was, now you've probably lost a little rigidity as the tire is flat, but you still have a lot. And what the tire/wheel is supposed to do is absorb energy so that the car or gaurd rail or whatever does not intrude into the passenger cell Anybody know what that big wall is behind you when you sit in the car? It's the gas tank. Would you like to stop a rear end collision from reaching that or would you like it to rupture all over you. Think about it. Having said all that, I just went to the garage and got the owners manual for a 2000GTS out of same. NADA..nothing. Do I seem to remember that it is structural for an RT10 only because of the lack of rigidity due to the Targa top? I dunno. I do know that I did a magnificent Dukes of Hazzard offroad leap a few years ago in a brand new 90 LS400 while avoiding an idiot who pulled right in front of me. I missed her thereby saving her life and the car sacrificed itself for me, saving me with all the safety stuff that was pretty new at the time. I still wound up with a broken vertabrae. Ever since then I pay attention to anything that can help my survivability. If Viper days says it's safer, mine stays in. On another note to those of you modifying the cargo area in a GTS, if you block those vents off in the sides you can blow your rear window out at high speed, those vents are to get rid of high air pressures inside the car at speed. Again this can be doucumented by searching here.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF it IS truly an integral part of rear end crashworthiness,
then DC would have in BIG BOLD letters everywhere aroun and on the tire stating that FACT.
It is merely a safety byproduct by location design.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone on this site may recall a picture of how the rear trunk lid moves towards the driver and passenger's neck without the spare in place. In a rear end collision, the trunk lid hinges give way and the truck lid slices into the passenger compartment through the RT's "sport bar." The spare tire would prevent a complete crush of the rear end and keep the lid from moving forward.

And not for nothing, but there are a few patents for using spare tires as bumpers in "safety car" designs.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okaaaayyy....

I guess when you get rear ended you won't need any anesthesia before they bring you to the ER.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought for the people who are saying you should consult the manual -- large portions of the Viper manual are copied from the manuals for other Chrysler products. I don't remember the exact content, but I realized this after I got over my surprise from reading a discussion of a topic which only applies to minivans.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand there is a strap or thick wire that is in front of the spare tire (not in the trunk itself, but in front of it), that the spare would push against upon a rear end impact, thus distributing the force of the impact and minimizing damage, which you lose if you don't have the spare in.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez...this has been beaten to death.

At a local Viper Tech Session, we were informed that the spare was indeed designed as a safety feature for collisions.

As far as this being listed in your owner's manual..I don;t recall seeing it there. But, I do know that the great video that was in my car when delivered showed a GTS several years older than mine and also showed the wrong way to shut the hood.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth