Cannot believe this Houston viper owner!

alexWS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Im minding my own business at a stoplight (in our Z71 Tahoe, so no chance of a race) and I see a viper coming in the side view mirror. I can tell its steel grey but looks a little dark. So I go slow and wait for him to pass to get a good look. The GTS doesnt look right, we get to the next stop light and I'm right next to him. I look over and the car is FILTHY :shocked: I dont mean was in the rain and hasnt been cleaned up yet, or was lacking a few coats of Zaino. I mean dirt CAKED on the paint, the wheels were solid brown - had to do a double take to confirm he wasnt a ******** racer and that was all brake dust :p I'm 99% sure the car had never been washed in its lifetime. How can anyone treat such a great car this way?? I was going to try and chat with him, but both our window tints were too dark or he ignored me.

Is this story not worth posting and I'm obsessive compulsive about clean cars?? Maybe.

I have to admit though, when cruising behind it, it still looked mean as hell and got tons of looks! :cool:

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of forum is this with all this dirty talk? Ha! This reminds me of a post last year around Christmas. Someone was visiting here and took a picture of a red Viper in a mall parking lot parked next to other cars in a tight spot. The car was filthy too! A lot of people couldn't belive some one would let a car get so dirty AND would park it next to an Aztec. Hey, if it's his, he can do what he wants to with it. It does seem ludicrous. Let's just hope he was on his way home to wash and Zaino it.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like my dad. Regardless if he is in a ford or ferrari, it will probably be dirty as he//. It's all in the person, not the car.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not, to some folks it's just a fun car. They don't obsess on the car, it isn't the center of their lives.
They wouldn't even think about being in a Viper club, not any more than you would think of being in a BMW club just because the wife drives a BMW.
And when they drive it in dirty conditions, it gets dirty, and they drive it until they get around to washing it and they don't care because they really never think about the car. It's just a fun car.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen many firebird in the same condition. Plus I see them driven as winter rats up here. The nerve of those owners.

OP
OP
A

alexWS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
meh driving > washing.

Car doesn't need to be detailed every time you drive it, I really wouldn't care.

i agree. but theres a difference between detailed and never washed. eh well, i know everyones different and some dont think its too special of a car but even if i was driving a ****** it wouldnt be as dirty as this viper ;)

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Mazda, or even my lowly Ford Taurus for that matter, never had dirt/mud on it for over a week. I washed the Mazda after every trip home to get the bug juices off it.

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like me. I used to wash my cars all the time (I'm partial to black cars - had prolly 10 of them). But I've gotten older and it feels hotter outside to me so I rarely wax anything let alone maybe wash my car once a month now. I'm also a workaholic so it's way down on my list of thing I wanna do. I tend to clean my cars more in the fall/winter because the weather is so much cooler and it doesn't rain every day. My AMG wheels are like full of black brake dust. Dunno how I'll treat a Viper when I get one.

REMIX

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thread, I drive my car hard, bust things on a regular basis and toss it down the 1320, the odd road race and street improntu as the need arises.

That said for some strange reason I wash the thing I would say 9 out of 10 times I take it out, and worse yet, like to let the car dry out in the garage for a day or two after the wash to avoid water spilling out, freaky......

brake dust is the enemy and although has a right to be present at the track on the street to the untrained eye it looks like lack of care, and to my eye looks sick (in a bad way youngins!)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes mine is freshly washed & waxed, but more often than not, it is in some stage of filth, just what happens with a daily driver. Sometimes I've had "drfits" of dirt about an inch high on my side sills ;)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only wash the doors so my event numbers will stick on. Anybody that's seen my car knows the wheels are covered in brake dust, although I have one set painted charcoal gray so it looks like brake dust all the time. Studies show that a slightly rough surface reduces aerodynamic skin friction, like dimpled golf balls, so dirty cars are actually faster.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only wash the doors so my event numbers will stick on. Anybody that's seen my car knows the wheels are covered in brake dust, although I have one set painted charcoal gray so it looks like brake dust all the time. Studies show that a slightly rough surface reduces aerodynamic skin friction, like dimpled golf balls, so dirty cars are actually faster.

Lol! That's a good one. Actually the surface needs to be dimpled but in a consistent pattern. I don't think dirt has a consistent pattern. If that were true they would never wash any airplanes. If you look at any commercial jets they meticullously wash them on a daily basis. :)

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the guy comes from a ranch and runs it around a dirt track for fun - maybe he lives out on a dirt road. Long as the surface is smooth - I don't guess the Viper could care less where it gets taken....

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guilty of the washing obsession. In fact, I use a leaf blower to dry the car (no scratches from towels).

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the probably has a ranch and had to drive it through the mud. Or else he has a teenage son who parked behind him in the driveway and he had to go around. He then almost got stuck in the mud.

My brother in law built a house outside of Austin. He had not completed the driveway yet so we had to drive down a really muddy trail. When I returned the rental car it was covered with mud from the top to the bottom.

Back to the thread though, since its pretty much a given that you're going to be stared at in a Viper I try to keep it reasonably clean.

Here I am amongst the cows.

You must be registered for see images

So I've been guilty of it in the past. But heck some of their distant relatives payed with their lives to send my wife through school. Bone Appetite.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So that means yellow vipers are even faster when dirty? :D

Austin

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can vividly remember the first viper I saw way back in 1993/94. It was during the winter, I was going to the local shopping center where I lived in Maryland to get a hair cut. As I was driving in the parking lot, a guy driving a red Viper was coming the other way slowly, he had a surf board in the passenger seat sticking out of the car and the car road salt all over it. All four wheels where black with break dust. The guy was just cruisin around in the freezing cold. I also remember the car had California plates.

To this day, it is the filthiest Viper I have ever seen.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vreracing - lol - love those pics..... are those your admirers standing around in awe of your car? :)

The black one would go well in a chilli grilled steak cook off :p

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with the probably has a ranch and had to drive it through the mud. Or else he has a teenage son who parked behind him in the driveway and he had to go around. He then almost got stuck in the mud.

My brother in law built a house outside of Austin. He had not completed the driveway yet so we had to drive down a really muddy trail. When I returned the rental car it was covered with mud from the top to the bottom.

Back to the thread though, since its pretty much a given that you're going to be stared at in a Viper I try to keep it reasonably clean.

Here I am amongst the cows.

So I've been guilty of it in the past. But heck some of their distant relatives payed with their lives to send my wife through school. Bone Appetite.

No bullsh|t?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guilty of the washing obsession. In fact, I use a leaf blower to dry the car (no scratches from towels).

Yep, just scratches from the air-borne particulates sandblasting the paint, LOL!

RockStar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig201, I Couldn't agree with you more. When I had my black 94, I would've had to wash it every day. I would much rather drive a dirty Viper than sit in the garage with a clean one :) I guess thats why the ACR is steel gray. Even when it's filthy, it still looks clean when I go by at 140!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave