550 CID thread???

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well unless the person that has the problem posts then I agree with the moderators on this one. No matter how serious it is, if you have a problem you should be the one to post, not your friend, jmo :)

OP
OP
R

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well what if the person isnt able to get online or something. maybe the guy is having his friend post simply b/c he cant! who knows the situation, but i think it should be let out that there is a tuner that doesnt honor their guarantee to provide a particular product. their product goes to **** and they dont correct it? sorry, that is postworthy

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
true true, 1st hand experience from the person it happened to would be great. Comments, including mine, could be totally wrong without really knowing what happened..

Gerald

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well hopefully we can hear it from the horse's mouth soon. that would be best, we all want to know what the hell happened as well as the other side ;)

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this case I believe redsnake is right. The owner was not able to respond. Well, its business as usual another day in the morgue :rolleyes:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the problem isn't real, the tuner could come on and say that it's BS.
If it's true, he could come on and tell his side.
If it get's dumped because it's bad press, we will never know.
But there won't be any bad press.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I recall the owner and the car in question were going out of the country, which is one reason the owner wanted the car to be "bulletproof." Sadly, there is no such thing when you're dealing with machines. :(

LSs1Power

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the owner of the car is my best friend. He left the country and the car is here because of the problem. I don't think he have On line there, because i sent him an E-mail telling him about his car three days ago and he never replied. So i think he don't know what happened to his car until now. He thought it was a small problem and it can be fixed fast so i can send him the car as soon as possible, but now he is going to be shocked. I feel bad for him.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it all were true we would have heard the scoop by now.the tuner should come out and talk so the rumors would be kept at a minimum... true or not.

Max

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really hard to speculate on something like this.
There could be a number of different scenarios - Does anyone really
know if the tuner was given a fair chance to settle this off the boards.
Hopefully the reason the other post was pulled - was that the 2 parties got
together and are trying to come up with a acceptable solution.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the owner of the car is my best friend. He left the country and the car is here because of the problem. I don't think he have On line there, because i sent him an E-mail telling him about his car three days ago and he never replied. So i think he don't know what happened to his car until now. He thought it was a small problem and it can be fixed fast so i can send him the car as soon as possible, but now he is going to be shocked. I feel bad for him.

This is the truth.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, what we know now is that the owner and the tuner have not spoken about this issue because the owner may not even know there is a major problem with his car!!! (see above where the best friend doesn't know if the owner has email access and hasn't spoken to him on the phone...) So why would we publicize it here before the 2 parties get together????? This issue appears to be three days old - with an inaccessible owner. Clearly not time to raise any red flags. Should the tuner and the owner get together and the problem cannot be resolved, there is absolutely no reason the owner couldn't post his story here.

This isn't a policy change.

Reaction score
Hold on a sec.....I reviewed the thread and it makes reference to someone who IS registered here. If he he is out the country, ther eis still the issue of the two parties getting together as Janni stated. You're right Jason, it is business as usual. FIRST-HAND accounts. Anything other than that are held until verified. I have done this several times, and I have spoken to several people through the years. There is nothing new here. And the same goes for the tuners. If there is a tuner with first-hand knowledge it is welcome, good or bad. No points this round for you Jason, sorry. :(

I have always made myself available. I do not pretend to pick a side, or mediate. All I care about is that the FACTS are represented by the parties involved. Yep, business as usual. :)

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical of this board, bury it. If there is some kind problem with a $25,000+ engine mod let the post stand and let anyone on this board who is considering doing this mod do a little EXTRA research on the matter to protect the "so called" board member's better interest. No names were named so why not let the post stand and let us adults draw our own conclusions, but this is the same song on this board with different words. Once again a board that is supposed to aid us is keeping us in the dark like mushrooms :rolleyes:

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical of this board, bury it. If there is some kind problem with a $25,000+ engine mod let the post stand and let anyone on this board who is considering doing this mod do a little EXTRA research on the matter to protect the "so called" board member's better interest. No names were named so why not let the post stand and let us adults draw our own conclusions, but this is the same song on this board with different words. Once again a board that is supposed to aid us is keeping us in the dark like mushrooms :rolleyes:

I agree. Why does everything have to be so secret?? It's just motors and a car. Fact is - if you go fast - crap breaks. If a tuner never has anything break - he's not going fast.

I spun a #3 rod bearing - which had nothing to do with my tuner - crap happens. Tell your story, get it fixed and get on with it.

Reaction score
"Tell your story"...Nothing wrong with that! There are at least TWO people who can tell this story, possibly three if my guess are correct. Why are you mad at the policy? If it were me, I would be wanting first-hand accounts...and if the tuner(s) involved stay in the dark, well, then all you have is the Owner involved. Then, when all IS said and done...people will (should???) wonder why ALL parties involved didn't address the issue. I can honestly say that this is one time I am not in disagreement with the policy. While I am dying to know the details, I also know that I might possibly hold all parties involved in a different light, knowing that the policy is (and has been) well known for some time.

I guess, if you wanna blame someone and be mad at someone...be mad at me. But, while you are at it....why not hold the parties involved to some level of accountability as well.

And I agree with you Anthony...crap happens. I've had issues in the past.....but all were resolved (AND, they were VERY minor) between the parties involved. I am NOT a big fan of political correctness or the like....but I do demand the words from the horse's mouth (so to speak). Anything else is fluff, and can carry no weight.

Reaction score
So it is written....so it is done! THAT was scary!! I no sooner wrote that, posted it, then went to review other posts and saw Bill's thread! Thats what I'm talking about!! Too cool!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want to start a fight here, but isn't it also possible that other people have first hand knowledge of what's going on besides the two tuners and the owner?

It's like a car accident. There are two parties involved in the accident, but perhaps there are numerous witnesses who saw it too.

Also, how do you know that Bill is giving all the details that he knows?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd put money on that Gary - you probably are one of those that do know what happened. Fact is, no one has been willing to say what has happened yet - so everyone is left to speculate.

I could guess anything from a head gasket failure to a melt down - but that's a guess based upon the fact boost does that a lot when something goes wrong.

But - the facts are unknown to all except those involved or privately informed. I guess (there's that word again) someone will tell us eventually, or maybe we will be left to guess forever. My guess is, that would be torture for some. But I'm just guessing :smirk: :p

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TM,

As usual, you are the voice of logic and reason!

My personal opinion is that the parties involved should have a reasonable opportunity to work things out. But if there is going to be censorship here, it should be fair and equitable. I personally don't believe in censoring these posts, but that's a completely different topic.

In due time, I believe this will be worked out and reported. I know there is a lot of speculation and a lot of people want to know what's going on, but at this point cooler heads are prevailing.

I can tell you one thing, boost had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reaction score
I don't want to start a fight here, but isn't it also possible that other people have first hand knowledge of what's going on besides the two tuners and the owner?

It's like a car accident. There are two parties involved in the accident, but perhaps there are numerous witnesses who saw it too.

Also, how do you know that Bill is giving all the details that he knows?

I follow you Gary, honest. My personal take on this is that there is a course of action that **should** be followed, and initially that means that only the parties directly involved should comment, and they should try to sort it all out. I do NOT doubt that you have an intimate knowledge of certain things, and I certainly would not question your word....but if there is something to be said, and the parties involved can't (or won't) say it....maybe there is a reason. Not trying to start anything either, and I WANT any pertinent info to be known....but I also want to try to be as consistent as possible, thats all...I'm trying. I'll try to call you later today.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if I had a big problem with a mod done by a tuner?

The tuner might say "I'll take care of this, but I don't want you talking about it."

Well, I'd be thinking, "this guy has my money and my car, and I better not upset him."

So, I keep it to myself, and perhaps a buddy or two.

The car is eventually fixed and the tuner continues to sell the mod to others who don't know what happened.

And they all lived happily ever after. Right?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I follow you Gary, honest. My personal take on this is that there is a course of action that **should** be followed, and initially that means that only the parties directly involved should comment, and they should try to sort it all out. I do NOT doubt that you have an intimate knowledge of certain things, and I certainly would not question your word....but if there is something to be said, and the parties involved can't (or won't) say it....maybe there is a reason. Not trying to start anything either, and I WANT any pertinent info to be known....but I also want to try to be as consistent as possible, thats all...I'm trying. I'll try to call you later today.

No need to call, Tony. I understand your point and definitely believe that the parties involved should be given the opportunity to work things out. I was just trying to understand why v8huntr's comments weren't just as valid as the owner of the car and the tuners involved when he has as much firsthand knowledge as anybody else.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The tuner might say "I'll take care of this, but I don't want you talking about it."

Well, I'd be thinking, "this guy has my money and my car, and I better not upset him."

The car is eventually fixed and the tuner continues to sell the mod to others who don't know what happened.

E X A C T L Y!

Poignant post of the year award - right here.

Reaction score

E X A C T L Y!

Poignant post of the year award - right here.

Why is that poignant? In that scenario the board (and policiy) had NOTHING to do with it, did it? If you have problems and prefer to keep quiet.....who's fault is that? If you did have problems, and did want to post about it, my personal goal would be to make sure (or try) that posting here was not your first course of action, although you would have every right to as a primary participant. I don't see your point....or Mike's, sorry. You have every right to post first-hand accounts....if you choose not to, that is your choice.

I see your point now after re-reading...if I am reading right. You are talking about posting something while he still has your car??? If that is the case I think the above still applies. You could if you wanted to, as a primary participant. If your point is that it might be nicer to have a third party "open the door" so as to put some pressure on the person, I see what you would want to accomplish, but wonder.

In the end you would still have an issue that has "gone public" while your car was not in your posession. Once it is public, no matter who to blame, there is a certain amount of burden on the tuner to do the right thing....and since it is public, people will be watching....even AFTER the car is returned. That only leaves the "WHO" in the equation of who took it public....and since the ends are about the same either way....it must be first-hand by a participant.

Yes, it is easy to sit here and "arm-chair" the whole thing....I admit, I have never had problems with my car....let alone WHILE they still had it in their posession. I DO try to understand though.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

What I am saying is that I disagree with the policy that ONLY first hand accounts are acceptable. I think that obvious "tuner slamming" should not be allowed, but in this case, the car is in custody of the guy who posted - and the guy who'se car it is CAN'T reply.

Given that, why wouldn't you pull Apex's thread knowing that Mash can't reply to it?

If you guys want to have a first-hand-only policy, you ought to set up a seperate section to consolidate theads and only allow first hand accounts. In a public forum, discussion should be allowed. That discussion could and should include "I heard tuner XYZ really ***** - what do you think?". It's a place to disseminate information.

If it goes to flames or false accusations, fine, but if someone says "a friend of mine had blower kit XYZ and the engine blew up and the mechanic said it was too much boost for a cast piston car" then by your rules, such a post would not be allowed because it's not first hand. I think that's a stupid rule.

You guys say all the time that this community only represents a small fraction of the VCA as a whole. How many guys don't get on this site at all? How many guys have friends with problems but those friends don't get on here? By your rules, saying "my friend had a problem with XYZ" is not allowed. That's just ********, any way you want to look at it.

You guys forget that this site exists for the members. I don't feel it is in the best interests of the members to not be allowed to discuss problems with tuners unless they are first hand. I think you are covering your own asses and the tuners asses at the cost of the members wallets.

Just my .02... but you asked for it and ya got it :)

Reaction score
In my eyes there is a push (I guess on my part) to try to be protective. Not only of the tuner or vendor....but it also applies to you (for example). I am not sure why you would have a problem with Apex posting, or Jason for tha matter, even if the owner is unavailable. The owner has everything to gain by the issue being resolved.

On another side...I would NEVER allow a tuner or vendor to bash you, and I would pull that thread on the temp hold to ensure that all avenues were exhausted before it came to that.

Your example of a friend's blower kit XYZ, well, I think it would depend on how it was written. I do agree that THAT type of information is VERY important to us all!!! No doubt about that! But, and I already said I hate the PC crap....but it does exist....it all depends on how it is written.

let us look at what was in the very first post of the thread in question:

550cu in motor = 25G = engine rebuild!

this is just bad news for viper owners.

p.s

let's get it fixed! you know who you are. LOL...

There is NO probative value in that whatsoever....it is plain antagonistic...IMVHO of course. In my eyes that is completely different than your example above (I apologize if I am taking your example too literally). I just reviewed that whole thread and I am sorry...it was plain ragged. Full of hints, and innuendo, vagueness, and in my opinion had no purpose other than to get people to jump to conclusions....which is not what we want. We want facts. And yes, I am sure there are others who know VERY MUCH. BUT....my take is this: If tuner-A's friend knows most of the facts and posts...yet tuner-A does not post, I feel like there is something not being said. NO OFFENSE intended to anyone....I have always thought that if YOU have something to say, say it, but don't let someone else say it for you. (I know....something else that is easily said, yet hard to actually implement in real life, sorry :) ).

Lastly...I guess I don't really have a problem with someone saying their friend had a problem with XYZ, but I think it goes to content. One could say it in a way like "my friend had a problem with XYZ, but my dealings have been great". We've seen that before. I think (again) it comes down to content. If all one is doing is trolling to gather momentum and support, before any other attempts to resolve the issue have been made, then I think that stinks. Don't get me wrong...I also think it stinks to spend alot of money on something and have it break!! I am eternally in search of the happy medium...you know me!! :)

What I ponder as well is this: We are having this discussion, which seem moot becuase it has already been posted (by you even) that the parties involved should be allowed to sort things out. That has always been the intention of the "first-hand" policy.

OK, in the end I see your point, and I am sure you see mine....but things are never easy. My stance is that I don't think anything should be kept from anyone.....but I also don't think the board should be a person's tool to try to intimidate another. That goes both ways....and we have seen it in the past.

I have not forgotten this site is for the members, and if you think that then I have no idea where you have been the last 4 years. :) I would not tolerate ANYONE besmerching your name without facts, nor any other person here, or any tuner/vendor. Though I am not perfect.....I try. :)

BTW...where did I ask for your 2 cents?!?!?! :) You know I'm kidding...I'll always take your money!! LOL!