Cats or No Cats??? (Just bought Belanger catback system + Headers...)

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a catback Belanger system + Headers. I am having difficulty deciding if I should install the Random Tech Cats... There is no emissions testing in my county, so it's not an issue with the law. Would it be too loud? I am looking for a loud, deep musclecar sound (I am 23, so I can stand it a little louder than some people). I do not plan on tracking the car. I have heard different opinions from people, some say to go without, some say it would be too loud, would smell bad, etc.

If I go catless there is chip that Sean Roe sells for $50 to eliminate the check engine light problem, so the check engine light wouldn't be an issue.

Opinions please!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats = Loud.

Edit: what I really meant to say was

No cats = shake the walls and bombard the house with sound pressure waves intense enough to knock them out of bed LOUD. And the neighbors too!

Okay, it may not be that loud, but it sure feels like it. Awesome sound, but too loud for me.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no Cats but the stock mufflers on my 94 and it's not that bad. No more heat on my feet and lots more power. I dropped 4/10ths in the 1/4 mile with this change.

Next to go will be the stock mufflers as they are very restrictive.

Tim

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have stock headers NO CATS and B&B exhaust.......it rocks my garage when I start it, not to mention setting off car alarms in parkades and parking lots LOL.
I have gotten several postive comments on the sound not only from friends at the track, but from several Viper owners as well.
Two words...IT ROCKS!
But it could be a little too loud for most.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have B&B headera, corse 3 inch and high flow cats. The cats didnt make a huge difference. More crackley and less heat. Id do randoms. Or you could take the cat off. Either way, DITCH the stock cats.

I have heard no cats and its a little too loud.

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the cats out.It was loud and when you get on it everyone for blocks knows it.
I (vipermed) put hi flow mufflers in their place. Now only people within one block know that I am tearing up the streets.
Try it without then buy the hiflow cats if you do not like the sound. Thats better than buying the cats first.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friends 00' ACR is now running no cats or mufflers, just straight pipes and Belanger headers. He took out the h pipe at the rear that he had made and is now going to have an x pipe installed after I posted a thread awhile ago.

His car sounds mean, more like a muscle car then any other Viper I've heard with different setups. Go with no cats, less heat (actually he has no heat at all in the interior now) and deeper sound (less crackly).

It's very loud, but like you I love it. They drive it back and forth from KY to here in South FL and have no problems with it. I've been in it for 4 hrs on the highway and was fine which is why I always wonder why some people think it's unbearable...gotta be the age thing lol.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got Belangers, Random Metal cats and Borla cat backs. I wish I left off of the CATS because I think it's not loud enough. It sounds good but I think it would sound a whole lot meaner if I didn't have CATS. But that's just me.

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Balangers all the way back with Randomtech hi flos. I think it sounds deeper at WOT than straight pipes. It seems to add some resonance. Also, no smell and no lights. Car runs GREAT!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does taking the cats off void the factory warranty. Since I am still under the original 3/36K period, what should I expect if I needed dealer service and/or warranty work since the louder sound will make it obvious, the car is no longer stock? Thoughts anyone?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's your only car, I would leave them on. Otherwise, dump them and forget it. You can actually cruise around without a lot of volume if you keep it below 3k rpm; above that or at WOT, it's very loud. I haven't noticed any odor problem, and my sidesills are much, much cooler.

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Without. I bought my RT/10 from a Tenn. estate sale and it didn't have the cats on when I got it. I live in CA so I had to add them to get through inspection and there is a definite difference. I don't set off near as many alarms either. It still sounds great but not as loud. Oh yeah Ulysses, Chuck never misses a chance to mention the 2 Vipers. TTYL, V

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Bellanger headers with no cats and Borla mufflers.. I installed the Roe Sim's. They worked for a month and then my engine light came on again.. As for the volume, i'm 28 and deaf from loud car audio equipment so the missing cats really don't bother me.. They aren't nearly as loud as a friends 01 with SVS headers and corsa mufflers..

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip the cats.WAY less heat.If its too loud for you you can always add some highflows later.I got syms from Jon b.They were plug in.No problems in over 1 and 1/2 years. Bruce

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I am a newbie, but once the CATS are removed, what kind of pipe is put in to fill the gap? Is there a place to buy these or should they be fabricated by a muffler shop and welded into place? Can they be attached with clamps as well or must they be welded in?

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I am a newbie, but once the CATS are removed, what kind of pipe is put in to fill the gap? Is there a place to buy these or should they be fabricated by a muffler shop and welded into place? Can they be attached with clamps as well or must they be welded in?

I just got two 3" stainless band clamps and inserted about a 20" piece for stainless pipe.