Serpentine Belt

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a recent post that included a maintenance article by Dan Cragin, the serpentine belt was mentioned as needing to be replaced every 25k miles or so. Seeing as I have over 45k, maybe I should look into this? LOL

Anyway, I haven't changed a belt in years on a car, what's necessary to do this on the Viper? Any tips would be appreciated.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
yes...a long 15mm box-end wrench (or 15mm socket wrench) for use on tensioner pulley...about $55.00 worth of new belt (OEM Mopar).

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My long-ago experience with belts IIRC involved alternator removal or some such, so are you saying that it is much easier, just loosen that pulley, swap the belt, tighten it, and the job is done?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
VERY simple.
1. Remove both smooth tubes.
2. get a 15 MM wrench and put it on tensioner bolt.
3. push wrench towards Driver side (clockwise on bolt, if looking from front of car).
4. while holding the pulley retracted, pull belt off at top, near Alt.
5. Release tensioner slowly, remove belt carefully.
6. Install new belt around all pulleys except Alt and top idler.
7. compress Tensioner and slide belt over alt and under idler.
8. check belt position and release tensioner.
9. Re-check belt position.
10. start engine for a second, turn off, and check a third time.
11. reinstall tubes.
12. Go have a beer.

PS- it may help to have another person hold belt on PS pulley and crank... or even better, clip it on with some BIG paper clips to keep it from moving when doing step 8. Also, pay special attention to the belt placement on the water pump pulley before releasing. seeing as the WP has no grooves and runs off the back side of the belt, it can be in the wrong place easily. Lastly, dont be one bit suprised if your car sounds "Supercharged" for a few hundred miles, the new belts sound just like centrifugal blowers until they break in.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont know if you realised, the tensioner pulley is an auto model. there is no need to loosen or remove anything other than the belt and tubes.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...just use the wrench in a clockwise fashion (as viewed from front of car) on tensioner pulley to release tension for seating on final pulley.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My long-ago experience with belts IIRC involved alternator removal or some such, so are you saying that it is much easier, just loosen that pulley, swap the belt, tighten it, and the job is done?

Correct. Although like Dan and Steve said, you don't really "loosen" the tension pulley, you just turn the wrench and the pulley will move inward. Much easier than the old "alternator" method.

25K is much too soon to change the belt. Sure it's an inexpensive replacement but I think the manual says 60K. I had 70K on mine and it looked brand new. I keep it for a spare.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I'll do a visual inspection on the condition of mine, see if it needs changing, but figure the info on the procedure is good to go ahead and get...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey slaughter, whats with all this maintenance, you getting ready to put it on the "block"?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey slaughter, whats with all this maintenance, you getting ready to put it on the "block"?

Nope, just want it to keep running right :) Got my 100k extended warranty and plan to put quite a few more miles on it yet :)

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reviving an almost three year old thread. Very helpful info here... My car has less than 25k but I just noticed that my belt has very visible wear on the side closest to the motor... I'll change it as soon as it warms up here in the mid Atlantic.