Differential Fluid - How to change?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's involved in changing the differential fluid? Step-by-step instructions appreciated :)

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy
- Put car on lift or pay $10-$15 to rent Quicklube bay
- Remove plug with 3/8" hex allen male socket
- Many tools for this step but I used a $10 fluid pump bought at Autozone, looks like a bike pump
- Need two people with my tool, one inserts end into hole and moves all around while the other pumps like crazy
- Refill with 4oz additive
- Fill to top with about 40 oz of Mopar gear lube
- Tighten, I think 140 "inch" pounds

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy
- Put car on lift or pay $10-$15 to rent Quicklube bay
- Remove plug with 3/8" hex allen male socket
- Many tools for this step but I used a $10 fluid pump bought at Autozone, looks like a bike pump
- Need two people with my tool, one inserts end into hole and moves all around while the other pumps like crazy
- Refill with 4oz additive
- Fill to top with about 40 oz of Mopar gear lube
- Tighten, I think 140 "inch" pounds

Few followups:
1. Rather than a lift, how about just jacking up the car?
2. Tell me more about your...tool ;)
3. What lets you know you got to 140 in-lbs?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3. What lets you know you got to 140 in-lbs?

You need a torque wrench in inch-lbs. They are usually made with 3/8" drive. Or you can convert by a factor of 12, for example:

10 lbs/ft of torque is 120 lb/inches

So for 140 lb/in, you have 11.67 lb/ft which is normally smaller than what is listed on most torque wrenches which are calibrated in lb/ft.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you can do it by jacking up the car. I remove the passenger side rear wheel just so I have more room. Not required though.

I use a vaccula brake bleeder to **** the fluid out. You'll need a compressor if you use this type of tool.

It's also convenient to have a long "fill tube" about 4 ft X 1/2 inch O.D. with a funnel on one end. Diff fluid is very thick and takes several minutes to fill.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Exactly where is the plug located? Directions from the rear please ;)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the drill and install of a drainplug done by archer at VIR. Makes it an easy job then.
Details in the how to section also.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a tip. Make sure the rear is good and hot before you try to **** the fluid out.
Drive it for half an hour.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a tip. Make sure the rear is good and hot before you try to **** the fluid out.
Drive it for half an hour.

Er...you mean the car? ;)

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the drill and install of a drainplug done by archer at VIR. Makes it an easy job then.
Details in the how to section also.

Yeah, I'd like to have had that done, a bit more than I'm willing to try myself though ;)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might think about doing it next year if you go to VIR, Archer was VERY reasonable.

Hey did you get your car inspected?

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine on jacks & removed the wheels for easy access; washed them while I was at it. I didn't drive mine to heat it up & used the cheapo $10 pump from autozone for drain & fill. 1 bottle of additive & 1.5 quarts of gear oil back in. Took about an hour from 123go. Didn't use a torque wrench either; just rednecked it like Grandpa taught me long ago. You have to hold your tongue just right. (don't overtighten, just snug it & turn it a little past like your oil filter)

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might think about doing it next year if you go to VIR, Archer was VERY reasonable.

Hey did you get your car inspected?

Thanks for the info.

Yep, got it inspected at a random facility...

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine on jacks & removed the wheels for easy access; washed them while I was at it. I didn't drive mine to heat it up & used the cheapo $10 pump from autozone for drain & fill. 1 bottle of additive & 1.5 quarts of gear oil back in. Took about an hour from 123go. Didn't use a torque wrench either; just rednecked it like Grandpa taught me long ago. You have to hold your tongue just right. (don't overtighten, just snug it & turn it a little past like your oil filter)

Thanks for the info, think I'll "neck" it too ;)

Are the fluid & additive just best to get through the dealership/MOPAR?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque specs for bolts you can't get to are listed to give you an idea of how much to tighten. "Redneckin'" it like BM's grandpa is fine.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar fluids are fine; get 2 quarts of lube & 1 bottle of additive from the dealer. Put the additive in first.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone provide a fairly precise location of the plug?

Jeeze Slaughter, crawl under the car and find the damm thing. It's on the passenger side half way up the diff, forward of the axle, it takes an allen wrench. There are no other plugs you can confuse it with. One more question about it any you're buying wings next time.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone provide a fairly precise location of the plug?

Jeeze Slaughter, crawl under the car and find the damm thing. It's on the passenger side half way up the diff, forward of the axle, it takes an allen wrench. There are no other plugs you can confuse it with. One more question about it any you're buying wings next time.

Hey, I bought wings last time?! :)

Thanks for the more precise location :) Now what's an allen wrench? J/K!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32