Stripes, Real or Fake on 98 GTS

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the window sticker to the car but have gotten the sales/invoice code sheet from Chrysler. The car is Red with Silver Stripes. Is there anyway to tell if these were factory or did someone apply them after the car was built.

Thanks
A1998

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Do the stripes go through the liscense plate area, or do they stop above where the liscense plate begins? (if they go through the plate area, they are after market)

2. If you rub your finger over the edge of the stripes can you feel anything, or is it smooth like paint? (if you can feel something, then they could be vinyl stripes (after market))

3. Do the stripes go through the air vent in the hood or do they go around it? (if they go around, they are after market)

4. If the stripes are REAL skinny, they are after market.

Austin

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quick test would be to run your fingers across the stripes...

They factory stripes are painted on after the base color is applied and clear-coated. If you feel a bump or sharp edge as you cross from red to silver, chances are the stripes are factory. (although this could be duplicated by any shop so it's not a guarentee of authenticity)

If the stripes / color transition is smooth as a baby's bottom (clear coat applied to entire surface after stripes painted on), very good chance the stripes are either after dealer delivery or "repaired".

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The surest way is to call your nearest Dodge Dealer, give them the Vin Number and ask them for the paint codes. If the car has two paint codes in the computer, the stripe is factory, if the car has one paint code, the stripe is after market.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they even makes strips factory on 1998's or for that matter any viper other than 96, 97 and 2002? (I'm most likely wrong)

EDIT: didn't they make yellow vipers with black stripes from DC?

Gerald

OP
OP
A

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Stripes stop at the license plate then continue past them, but are not painted at the very bottom of the rear bumper around the exhaust. My Chrysler sheets shows 2 paint codes (both Red) but has 3 different codes for Stripes/Badges/emblems. Seems to have clearcoat over them can't seem to feel a ridge.

Thanks for your replys!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they even makes strips factory on 1998's or for that matter any viper other than 96, 97 and 2002? (I'm most likely wrong)

EDIT: didn't they make yellow vipers with black stripes from DC?

Gerald

Red/Silver were a factory color combo in 1998.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking mine aren't painted......I have a ridge to wax over where the stripe meets the blue. Manufactured Nov 96.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking mine aren't painted......I have a ridge to wax over where the stripe meets the blue. Manufactured Nov 96.

I may be misinformed from back then but all 96, 97 Blue GTS's came from the factory with stripes. You did not have the option for stripe delete. They were painted on. The only Blue GTS Viper I saw without the stripes was on the TV show. Can't even remember the show name.
Depending on the VIN # some early 1998 Red GTS's if ordered with the silver stripes, I know showed up with out the stripes due to alignment issues on final assembly of all the body panels. Mine was ordered with stripes and showed up a solid color and was told that was the reason.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they were factory stripes they would continue down past the exhaust, and they would also be over the clear coat with a very feelable ridge. Also there is an additional paint code on the car for silver.

Stripes were available every year since 1996 on the GTS's.

All of the 96's GTS's were blue with white stripes.

1997 all blues had white stripes / none of the reds had stripes (brochure says white stirpes available).

1998 very few reds had silver stripes / very few silvers had blue stripes

1999 same as 1998, but add black cars to the mix.

2000 to 2001 followed the same pattern, very few striped cars. yellows came with black stripes only, while Saphire Blue, Steel Gray, colors had silver.

2002 offered silver striped cars again, but for the first time since 1997 white stripes were offered on a GTS and this is the 1st and only year white stripes were ever offered from they factory on a red GTS (Final Edition). All the FE carried they white stripes.

Cody

The Stripes stop at the license plate then continue past them, but are not painted at the very bottom of the rear bumper around the exhaust. My Chrysler sheets shows 2 paint codes (both Red) but has 3 different codes for Stripes/Badges/emblems. Seems to have clearcoat over them can't seem to feel a ridge.

Thanks for your replys!

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of "Maybe my car had been wrecked & completely re-painted with vinyl stripes to match OEM." I went home for lunch & looked at it.....there is a definite ridge, but I guess it could be paint.

I may be misinformed from back then but all 96, 97 Blue GTS's came from the factory with stripes. You did not have the option for stripe delete. They were painted on. The only Blue GTS Viper I saw without the stripes was on the TV show. Can't even remember the show name.
Depending on the VIN # some early 1998 Red GTS's if ordered with the silver stripes, I know showed up with out the stripes due to alignment issues on final assembly of all the body panels. Mine was ordered with stripes and showed up a solid color and was told that was the reason.

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of "Maybe my car had been wrecked & completely re-painted with vinyl stripes to match OEM." I went home for lunch & looked at it.....there is a definite ridge, but I guess it could be paint.

Big Medicine, didn't Joe Dozzo say that you could feel a ridge, even if they were painted? I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Medicine...If there is a ridge it is factory paint as it is not clear coated over. All 96-97 GTS's have white paintstrpes from the factory. If you have a blue car with white vinyl stripes, peel them sucka's off and get thee to Ebay, you got a real rare car. Has anybody heard of a plain blue without white stripe 96-97? I bet it would be very rare and unusual looking.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Medicine:

Per ASC, the painter of all Vipers, Dodge mandated and specified the dimension of that stripe ridge. Your ridge is proper.

In addition 1996 GTS stripes are of a slightly differant width and gap vs. all other year Vipers, plus of course the above mentioned license plate stripe carry though that makes all 1996 GTS's unique.

No worries...