Which tires are considered "street" tires?

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which tires are considered \"street\" tires?

Obviously Michelin Pilot Sports...what else? Are Kuhmo's considered "street tires"...any other Viper tires???

If I am drag racing...and everyone is supposedly on "street tires", but one car is running Kuhmo's...I wouldn't call them street tires...My impression is that the tires that came on the car or the equivilent would be considered "street" tires...not competition tires...

Your thoughts?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Which tires are considered \"street\" tires?

Street tires , by IHRA or NHRA definition, are DOT rated tires. Therefore you will find alot of folks running BFG, Nitto, Kumho, etc. tires at the strip, as well as at the Autocross. When you consider that M&H, Mickey Thompson, Toyo, Kumho, Hoosier, Nitto,Hankook, and many others make DOT tires ( though many will not fit a Viper ), it is easy to see that a true street tire will be at a severe disadvantage at any race course ( track, strip , or autocross ). Hope this helps and good luck.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Which tires are considered

Snake Bite,
Try the BFG's, I have them on my DLM car and like them a lot. I never could get traction in first gear, now I can.

-Lou

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone ever try to DOT Drag Slicks ? They look as if on a Viper, they would seriously bite hard into the asphalt.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

How about the Toyo RA-1?

They work great on my 540-6

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Many street racers consider ET streets as street tires. Many Vette owners consider Drag radials "STOCK".

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Mickey Thompson ET's are DOT tires, however, they are bias ply, therefore, the fronts have to be bias ply. This setup is not very streetable. The Kumho's are no where near as good as the Nitto's, I have run both. It sounds as though the BFG's are at least equal-to, or better than the Nitto's

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay, I plead ignorance. What are BFG's?
BF Goodrich?
Big Funny Gerald?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BFG's are BF Goodrich. They make a DOT legal drag radial. I drove on ET Streets on my Corvette for about two months and never had a problem. They do wiggle around when you're cruising, and they **** for corners, but they always felt stable on the track. I don't think it's such a problem to not have skinnies on the front.

S

SUN RA KAT

I guess I'm just plain WRONG to drive to Norwalk's Viper Nationals on my original Michelins and then run on my original Michelins. Well, then I pity the poor fool who doesn't draw me in the first round.

OP
OP
S

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kenny...I have a brand new set of BFG drag radials, but I still may run on Pilots...just so you don't whine when I spank Old Yeller! :cool:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How are those working for you Snake Bitten? Remster shot himself, so you can come back to the alley now if you want! ;)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BIG CARROT:

You can mix some tires successfully, however, large footprint bias ply on the rear and radials on the front are a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, you could run drag radials on the rear and small foot print bias plys (skinnies) on the front without much trouble.

John Purner is pretty liberal on his recommendations, but, he will not recommend the rear/bias ply and front/radial combo. You won't get burnt every time, however, hit some uneven road at high speed and the fun starts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave