Need help with charging problem

OLXRAM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys.....I'm having a charging problem with my 96 GTS. I put a new battery in about 6 months ago and the alternator is charging/meter also reads 14 when car is running. But when i shut the car off for more than an hour the battery wont turn the starter more than a couple times. I put it on a jump for about 3 seconds and it starts right up..any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inspect the terminal connectors on the cables and clean them really well if you find they have a lot of buildup.

If they look okay, pull the battery and and check each cell with a specific gravity checker. If one cell is really low compared to the rest, you have a dead cell.

OP
OP
O

OLXRAM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just took it apart....Sure enough...2 Bad cells. Ive never heard of this with a new battery though

Thanks for the help

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to try a maintenance free battery and not have to worry about the fluid level.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not unheard of to pull a new battery off the shelf and it has a bad cell. Also, if it was working fine for a few months before all this happened, you might want to have your alternator checked. Could be under or over charging the battery.

As far as Optimas go, they seem to be the ticket, but they are still a acid type battery.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got an Optima. Works great. Maintenance free and no worries about leaks.

I also had some corrosion at the connection to the starter before. I cleaned the terminals at the starter and at the fusebox and everythings been fine ever since.