To lower or not to lower......advice please

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California
Well firstly, I agree that the Viper wheel well gap is way too big and that lowered cars look and handle better. My problem, and the reason for this post, is that I live in a rural area and although we have lots of great driving roads and do not have potholes, the roads are often rough, driveway entrances abrupt and in general, conditions are not like urban situations that are more organized and predicatable. I also have a weekend place in the mountains that is an awesome drive but has a 1 mile long drive that is gravel and is fine if taken slowly and carefully in the stock condition but 1" lower might be a problem. Does anyone make a spring kit that lowers less than 1"? Any other ideas would be appreciated. I know there must be other owners who live in rural areas that are faced with the same conditions, if so and you have lowered your rig, please advise. TIA, John

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to be a Viper owner to answer this. If there is enough bad-conditon roads to cause that much concern, don't lower it. However, it seems like if you can withstand the unavoidable scrapes and scratches, it seems like you have some really nice roads around. It really comes down to what you can accept.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper does look better lowered and may handle better but how often do you need that difference in handling? If you track the car I can understand but for driving on city and country roads lowering the car is the last thing I would think to do. Too many steep entrances and exits.

Just last night I took the Vipe out to a restaurant and the valet guys had to set their wooden valet sign in the transition to the road so I could get out without taking off the front fascia.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if you put in one of those kits that low riders have that can bounce the car up and down. That way you can lower it as much or as little as you want. When road racing you run it low and when your going over high curbs you raise it. Now only if someone would make one that fits on a Viper.....

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lower the car. If someone is spending so much time on there back looking at a scrapped front fascia....
Besides, you're going to scrap it anyway. Mine is chomped to all hell, yet not one person has ever seen a mark. Hmmm wonder why???
I think you'll really like it. just remember to get a new alignment!

OP
OP
R

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California
What if you put in one of those kits that low riders have that can bounce the car up and down. That way you can lower it as much or as little as you want. When road racing you run it low and when your going over high curbs you raise it. Now only if someone would make one that fits on a Viper.....
LOL, a low rider kit, eh? True, I could go with fully adjustable coilovers too but I am looking for a less expensive solution!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth