Each Year, More and More Vipers Will be Seen on Public Roads

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With prices falling, regular people will be able to afford these cars.

Soon, all the Closet Queens will come out!

Who knows, with more presence on the street, there may be more interest in these cars.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or the inverse and they will become more common place...and you can drive around without having a mob scene following you home each time you leave the house!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly doubtful, there are only 12,000 or so vipers out there and who knows how many have already been destroyed.

Look at zr1 vettes for example, they are cheap and you still never see one on the street.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you see more and more Vipers each day it is because all of your friends have sold their Porches, Ferraris, Supras etc. after going for a ride in your Viper! :p
Viper prices will not fall any lower!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC sells all the make (eventually).
So, the only way you'd see more Vipers on the road is if the new owners of used Vipers drive them more than current owners. The price isn't necessarily keeping the numbers of owners nor Vipers seen in everyday trafic down; unless the price was ridiculously cheap, then there wouldn't be any in the used car lots.

I've seen maybe 2 or 3 this year, and I'm just 20 minutes from DC World HQ.. The last was a red SRT 10 with a 40 something blond (your wife Ron?) driving it.
I used to test drive the prototype ZR1s for GM during their development. I can still remember screaming around the 4.0 mile circle track 0-115mph and 115-0mph working the trans hard up & down to see if it would hold up... :rolleyes:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides, if they were too cheap, people would be apt ot do this to their Viper.. CLICK :eek:

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly doubtful, there are only 12,000 or so vipers out there and who knows how many have already been destroyed.

Look at zr1 vettes for example, they are cheap and you still never see one on the street.

There were only 6939 ZR 1's produced from 1990 to 1995, roughly half of the number of Gen 1 and Gen 2 Vipers. Also, unless you know what to look for you'll find it more difficult at a quick glance to spot a ZR 1 on the street since they are very similar to any other C4 Corvette.

It's likely we've all looked at a ZR 1 from a distance on the street and assumed it to be a regular C4.

Hopefully the economy will rebound here soon and our beloved Viper values will rise.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the # was around 16-18 thousand of the gen I and II's, and another somewhere between 1600-1800 '03's and the '04s are rolling soon if not already.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever,just got back from D.C. with the wife from S.E. North Carolina{400 miles each way},only saw one viper on the way back in virginia.Silver rt10 on 95 heading north.Didnt take my car due to never having been to D.C. before but next time profiling at several sites will be kewl.D.C. awesome.Proud to be an American.Check this out....at Mr.Kays Chinese restaurant last night[awesome by the way] and Sen.John McCaan walks out with wife and daughter,now this man spent 5 years in a vietnamese prison hole being tortured by commies and he is out eating chinese...oh the irony

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check this out....at Mr.Kays Chinese restaurant last night[awesome by the way] and Sen.John McCaan walks out with wife and daughter,now this man spent 5 years in a vietnamese prison hole being tortured by commies and he is out eating chinese...oh the irony

Nice of you to lump all Asians together.
I think the senator knew where he was and has been.
I'm not being PC at all btw. China has nothing to do with Vietnam.
That's like saying I don't like the French, so I'm not going to Germany.
Not kewl.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey PirateViper, shouldn't that snake should be Purple and Gold?

I think that is funny about Mcann, it is ironic! NOTHING un"kewl" about it. Some people can be so "sensitive".

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are pretty cheap now, I think if you look hard enough you can get into an RT/10 for a tad over 30K and a nice blue/white stripe GTS for a little over 40K. However, it still takes a certain person to buy a car that is as impractical as the Viper regardless of the price. I don't think too many could argue (or at least have a very good argument) that the Viper is a daily driver. With that said, you shouldn't see more on the road due to cheaper prices without producing more cars. Vipers are still expensive to maintain, fix and insure (even more in the coming years) - which is not very appealing to your "average guy". I think it is pretty neat that Vipers are now an affordible car for anyone that can to spend a little over 30K. I would predict the ownership of Gen I & II's will probably get much younger in the next few years ( a lot more owners in their early 20's).

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that I would put Vipers in the "expensive to fix" class.

As for affordable, well, perhaps. Still, paying about $30k minimum for a ten year old car is not for everyone who can afford it.

Lot's of guys with the extra cash to play with, don't want an "old" car even if it is cool.

Guys who want the cool old car, often would need to use it as a daily if they could swing the deal.

All in all, I do agree that the average age group of Viper owners will probably get lower.
I don't think the Gen1/2 Vipers will be more common on the street.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever,just got back from D.C. with the wife from S.E. North Carolina{400 miles each way},only saw one viper on the way back in virginia.Silver rt10 on 95 heading north.

That was probably me (possibly ViperJoe) ;) I was on 95N on Friday ~6:30-7pm, and Sat ~11:30-noon. If you drive in VA or NC, you're likely to see me in the Silver RT! ;)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can see mine on the street everyday, as it's my daily driver :D

Same here :) And if you will look at many of the vehicles on the road, a viper is more comfortable....I know...I have driven some real pos's over the years.

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind meeting up with more Viper owners. I'd like to see more people driving them on the street instead of keeping them as living room furniture.
As long as one doesn't pull up next to me with more ponies :D
Tom

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out here in the Chicago suburbs I'm sure people think vipers are common place-- probably because atleast 3 nights a week a group of 5 of us run around terrorizing everyone..

Snake Eyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John,

I'm sure I'll be meeting you pretty soon. I missed last wednesday's meeting but I'm gonna try and make the next one. I have the same exact car as you (no stripes). Same Headers too! Have you ripped down lower wacker yet in 2nd? Talk about fun. Anyhow my names Matt and I'll see ya when I see ya!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know there are more ferraris on the road than Vipers, but I don't see too many of them. I may see a Viper once a month where I live.

If the Viper was a common place and they were common as porches and vettes, I would start looking for something different myself I think. I like the exclusive factor.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Whether there are 16,000 or 12,000 Gen I or Gen IIs out there, we need to all remember that:
1.For a long time some were imported to Europe.
2.Every year 80-100 have been imported to Canada.
3. Others get sent to countries where they are considered one of the most exotic cars in the world.
4.Lastly, there have been a few balled up over the years.

The actual number of Vipers on the road is very minuscule, and as the years go by it is a logical conclusion they will become more collectable. The prices have been down for awhile, but they seem to have stabilized, and it may not be too long before they head back up. Just hypothesis based on numbers available, and nothing more.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Monnieh thought about the purple pirate viper before.If I ever had to paint a viper I would seriously consider it.Our program sux so bad right now I dont know if we will win a game this year.What a shame with Carolina coming to Greenville for first time ever we probably wont even be competitive.Hey Slaughter you were lookin good in that silvef rt10.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what if there are more Vipers on the road! Would you mind if there were more Briney Spears' or Cindy Crawfords?

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check this out....at Mr.Kays Chinese restaurant last night[awesome by the way] and Sen.John McCaan walks out with wife and daughter,now this man spent 5 years in a vietnamese prison hole being tortured by commies and he is out eating chinese...oh the irony

Nice of you to lump all Asians together.
I think the senator knew where he was and has been.
I'm not being PC at all btw. China has nothing to do with Vietnam.
That's like saying I don't like the French, so I'm not going to Germany.
Not kewl.

hahahaha... hey I thought it was funny. And look at my last name...