Dash Paint?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is a tired topic. I have search the archives fervently and found a bunch of broken links to pictures. Anyway, the dash in my car has some scratches and other signs of wear. I am considering painting or replacing. Think it might look nice with a red dash to match the car.

Removing it looks pretty elementary (thank you shop manual). Can you guys share your experiences on painting? What products do I need? What is the prep involved? Are you pleased with the results?

Thanks in advance.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The hardest part of painting your dash is the prep work. It takes alot of elbow grease, sos pads, wet sandpaper, fine sanding pads etc, to get off the old fuzzy stuff (dont try any power tools as deep gouges happen easily). I used Viper Red for the Bezels and AC/Radio areas (ordered from paintscratch) and plain old Krylon Primer, Ultra Flat Black, and Flat Clearcoat over everything. Masking around the bezels was a pain, but I am very happy with the results. If you wanted just to have a black dash, I'd call Chuck Tator as I believe the cost was around $400-$500 and you could probably sell your old dash on ebay for $250. Good Luck!

274Red_Painted_Dash.jpg

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
email me, I am tired of typing 3 paragraphs to explain how to paint your dash. Short version-scuff, primer/surfacer, sand again, paint urthane base/clear. It will look like part of your car.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a tired subject also, but what is the proper material for resurfacing (as original) GENII 1996 ~ 1997 "soft" paint dashes?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave