Used Viper (GTS) Prices?

thebiggins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've finally decided that a Viper is the car for me. I've had everything from a late model Supra Turbo (BPU ~400 rwhp) to a heavily modified Ford Mustang (600 rwhp) and bang for the buck, the Viper is the definitive choice when it comes to handling, power, reliability, upgradeability, and looks. So my question is, are people asking too much for their Vipers or is Kelly Blue Book (KBB) just inaccurate when it comes to Viper prices?

From what I've found, the KBB prices seem accurate for '01 & '02 models but start to deviate as the Vipers head towards '96. Here is a list of Viper prices from KBB (private party resell value) for a GTS/ACR in Exlnt condition with 10k miles:

1996 ---- $36235
1997 ---- $40265
1998 ---- $44475
1999 ---- $49195
1999ACR $52335
2000 ---- $53520
2000ACR $57010
2001 ---- $57345
2001ACR $61155
2002 ---- $61675
2002ACR $65805

I can't seem to find a '96 GTS for much less then $49k. Is this due to supply and demand or is it possible that Vipers command a higer sell price in Southern CA? I eventually would like to add a Paxton SC so the '00 - '02 years frighten me with the cast pistons leaving '99 as the ideal year for me. Do '99's carry a premium for being the last year with forged pistons?

Thanks for any and all information!

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the answers to your questions...

I can't seem to find a '96 GTS for much less then $49k.
>> Keep looking you should be able to find one with 10K miles for 47K

Is this due to supply and demand or is it possible that Vipers command a higer sell price in Southern CA?
>> Mostly due to the popular blue/white paint jobs. If you don't car about the paint job I would go with a solid red - They are about 3K-4K cheaper.

I eventually would like to add a Paxton SC so the '00 - '02 years frighten me with the cast pistons leaving '99 as the ideal year for me. Do '99's carry a premium for being the last year with forged pistons?
>> Yes they do. Not too much though. I would recommend you go with a 98 (or maybe 97) solid red GTS. Cheap and has everything you need.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the VCA forum!

The KBB people are a bunch of morons. They don't have a clue as far as reality goes.
Many of the Vipers that are on the secondary dealer lots (your "luxury sport motors", "AAA Exotics", etc) are ones that have been bought at auction, leased, possibly had minor body work, etc. If you look at the carfax on those vehicles you will see a not so pristine history. This is what I found when looking for mine. Yes those prices may be lower than the ones on the "private" market (as the ones listed here on the VCA classfieds)but there are "usually" no stories to go with them either and normally have ALL the documentation.

Good hunting and take your time and know WHAT to look for!
Good luck!

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These prices could be close to the target when you looked for one around Jan-Feb’03. There was a temporary significant drop across the board. But in April-May’03 they went back up. I bought my in May so I know what I am talking about. Be ready to pay much more (+$5000) for a one with low mileage and excellent condition. GTS is harder to get – looks cooler – ask teens, they get crazy when see me from behind.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't think people are askinng "too" much for their Vipers. The prices above you have listed I think are low. If you are bargan shopping, stay with the stangs.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The guides have been all over the spectrum the last two years, and for awhile they were so high you could always buy a car for less than they stated. Then there appeared to be a trend in the other direction, and reliable sources felt this stemmed from one of the guides using Auctions as their reference. Whether everyone followed , as there are so few Vipers anyway, is anyone's guess. The key point is a quality Blue/White will never reach the 30s, and prices for cars of the same year will vary 3-5K based on mileage and condition. My opinion ( and only mine ) is that the market has stabilized and cars seemed to be getting somewhat harder to find. Keep in mind that an Auction Viper will drag down the market, and there are those of us that will not even consider these vehicles. If you really want to Supercharge, buy the car you want, as alot of the top tuners recommend even better pistons anyway, and not stock forged or hypereutetic cast ones. Good luck and buy from a long time Viper owner or a reputable Dodge Dealer who will go through the car extensively.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Bill I'll say it-

".. a reputable person such as Bill Pemberton!"

Now out of courtesy to the original poster, let's make sure this thread isn't hijacked into yet another "Bill P and Woodhouse are the greatest!" thread... plenty of those out there already, and deservedly so! :)

GTSREDDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the prices for the GTS might even increase in the near future due to them not being built anymore and a lot of people not to impressed with the 03 looks. Law of supply and demand will take hold. Figure all the wrecked GTS's against the total number of GTS's built from 96-02 and a few years down the road = whala...... bigger $ for a nice GTS. Just my .02

OP
OP
T

thebiggins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I see what you mean about the red ones going for less. I don't mind the red, if I could add white stripes ;) My wife thinks the blue is a bit much but I personally think it looks great. The black with silver stripes would be my main choice with solid black second. Seems like I should be able to find a good one for $50k-$60k. Thanks again.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be patient and shop alot. Most Viper owners think their car is worth more than it is. There are alot of shall we say.... "well used"... Vipers out there. I walked away from several before I bought mine a couple of months ago. I also missed a couple that went while I thought about the details.

The key element is not to let your passion ruin your logic.

Good luck, shopping is part of the fun.

Carl

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've found, the KBB prices seem accurate for '01 & '02 models but start to deviate as the Vipers head towards '96.
1996 ---- $36235

There's no way in heck I'd sell my '96 GTS for anywhere near $36,000. Not that I am even thinking of selling it, but if I sold my used '96 GTS for $36,000 then what the heck car could I get to replace it for $36,000 that had anywhere near the looks, performance, rarity, etc, etc? You couldn't and that's why I can't see anyone else selling for that price either. I mean what would a '96 Viper GTS owner do, trade one in straight up for a 2003 Mustang Cobra? Yeah right. $42-$45,000 on a '96 Viper GTS with 10,000 miles or so seems about right given the current market. Maybe a very slight few sold around the mid 30's that were very high mileage and a little beat up. I don't know, it doesn't make any sense to me.