1.7 Rockers for SRT/ Why do it?

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We offer a 1.7 rocker arm upgrade for the SRT 10. Many folks have approached me and asked why this will help if the SRT has a 1.7 roller rocker to begin with. For starters, the
rocker arms fall a little short of the 1.7 rating and they do not have a roller tip (only the fulcrum). By changing to a stronger and lighter rocker arm with a better pushrod the valvetrain is much more stable. This adds up to power, about 10hp at the wheels on a SRT. For those of you who want to go all out. Crower is just about to release a shaft mounted rocker arm with a needle bearing tip. Engine dyno tests has found these to be
better than the T&D's (which need some work to fit a Gen 3). They are going to be pricey though with a retail price of $1500. Our current setup with pushrods is $900.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To fit roller rockers on an SRT you would have to make a spacer for the valve cover of about 1" or POSSIBLY have the inside of the valve cover machined. Because of this we are having the foundry that is making our Intakes make us a set of 1" taller VGX valve covers. At that point a true before and after dynojet run will be done in house (new dyno en'route!) and there will be no more 'guessing' at whether or not the rocker upgrade will add power to the VGX motor.

WEST COAST VIPER

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the imput Frank and Jason! We have done several
of these rocker arm changes on the SRT/10 models with repeatable results. We have all the hardware necessary to
make the change including the valve cover spacers stainless hardware and dipstick tube modification. In back to back dyno tests with our stage 1 heads the rwhp and
torque went from 466.7 to 476.7 and 488.9 to 502.4 respectfully.

We will be posting the dyno sheets of all of our performance packages for the SRT/10 on our website. Also
we welcome all owners to see our new Comp Coupe and SRT/10 Street/Drag Viper being constructed at the shop.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan's committment to detail is why he has been considered one of the TOP 5 Viper Techs in the Nation when he was at a Dodge Dealership ( he still is in everyone's book now that he is on his own ), and he carries his passion over to obviously rate as one of the TOP Tuners in the country now. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on any other mods on the SRT-10, as you polish them to your specific ,high quality luster!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an observation, since I am not even a customer of DC yet but...

DC is constantly dynoing stuff, he is one of the few Viper tuners that actually quotes real numbers not just wishful thinking. How do I know this? Well the dyno shop he attends on a very regular basis is owned by my friend, and I hear of DC bringing something there all the time.

So cudos to Dan for doing things right.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

I hate to rain on your parade, but you never responded to my inquiry about "before and after" dyno sheets. Going from the stock 1.75 rockers to 1.7 will alter the HP and torque curves and that could have a positive or negative effect. After my inquiry, I received a private email from a reliable tuner offering the opinion that your upgrade would result in a minimum of a 10 HP loss. Given this differing opinion, I would like to respectfully request, for a second time, you provide some evidence of your claim. Gaining 10 HP may not be so great if you loose 30 lbs. of torque in the process. "Before and after" dyno sheets are a must.

I would be more than happy to provide, privately, the other tuner in question, but since he did not post openly, I will not use his name openly.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ricky -
In back to back dyno tests with our stage 1 heads the rwhp and
torque went from 466.7 to 476.7 and 488.9 to 502.4 respectfully.

We will be posting the dyno sheets of all of our performance packages for the SRT/10 on our website.

I assume that to mean the only changes were to the rockers - so the torque went up 13ft/lb.

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rick,
Thanks for your interest and concern. The tests we did were with our stage 1 heads with and without the rocker arms. Not a stock engine with and without the rockers. I will be happy to fax you the dyno sheets. The hp comes from increased valvetrain stability. For further information I will be happy to give you the phone number of our friend at Daimler Chrysler who has done back to back tests with this rocker arm pushrod change on the engine dyno with the same results.

It is very important to us a DC Performance to provide accurate, honest information. We can only go with the results
we have seen in shop and your results may differ. One thing that I can tell you is that proper lifter preload is critical on one of these
installs.

With any performance modification ( especially on a 80k car) it is important to do your homework. Please feel free to call me.

CaboViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all concerned,

I did alot of homework before I sent my car to Dan Cragin to have various upgrades done including the 1.7 rockers.He is working are my car as I write this. I will post results. Dan's reputation is excellent with all the individuals I talked to and his work speaks for itself among those who highly recommend him. I have complete confidence in his abilities and when he says these are the results of our tests or whatever, I believe him, period!

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Thanks for the response, and I appreciate your openness.

My apologies if it sounded like I was questioning your veracity, just trying to get the details of your package.

Again, thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950