How many miles do you drive on a full tank?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 02 which is suppose to have a 19 gallon tank. I believe Gen I's came with a 23 gallon tank. Last night I was out and about, got around 200 miles on the odometer and the gas gauge was reading near empty. I stopped to fill up and only put 12.3 gallons in. After filling up, I also noticed the fuel gauge does not quite read full (1/1).

So....How many miles do you drive on a full tank?

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gauge/needle is well below the zero indicator for me to be near empty. But I rarely get more than 200 miles out of my car anyway. I must have a fuel leak somewhere :)

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from a 4700 mile cruise from WI to CA and back. My Gen 1 with a 22 gallon tank generally read empty when it had 4.5 gallons of fuel in the tank.

We averaged 23MPG and 400 miles a tank full at 100 MPH!

6th gear is incredible.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from a 4700 mile cruise from WI to CA and back. My Gen 1 with a 22 gallon tank generally read empty when it had 4.5 gallons of fuel in the tank.

We averaged 23MPG and 400 miles a tank full at 100 MPH!

6th gear is incredible.

That's really good going.

With gas here in NZ at NZ$4.30 per US gallon - reasonable mpg at cruise is a good thing.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that some gas pumps do not allow the tank to get nearly full. Mine reads above 1/1 when it is full, and w/ some pumps it keeps kicking off even when not full. I have put 21 gallons in my gen1! I usually get 150-175 out of a tank, and then it usually takes about 15-16 gallons.
PS: Even w/ freeway driving I rarely get near 300 miles out of a tank.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that some gas pumps do not allow the tank to get nearly full. Mine reads above 1/1 when it is full, and w/ some pumps it keeps kicking off even when not full.

Somebody posted this method a while back. It may sound silly, but it works for me. If you turn the handle on the gas pump 180 degrees from the normal fill method and then put the gas in somewhat slowly, you can get completely full or close to it. I believe it has to do with the air venting system.

Steve

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
BYT U L8R

I get the same about 200 mile too, but my leak is down by my right foot

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
about 200. I can only get about 15-16 gal in the tank when it reads empty. I think it is because the gauge is off because it will start overflowing. I hate it when it does that.

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****BYT U L8R

I get the same about 200 mile too, but my leak is down by my right foot *****

Yep, they always told me to use UN-leaded. Guess I should keep the lead out of the foot, too!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Viper owner that doesn't wear a bit of lead in their driving shoe - at least some of the time - should donate their car to me in the interests of science. Vipey likey a good stomp on it from time to time! :cool:

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've yet to get over 130 to a tank in the past 6 months. It's usually closer to 120ish...

Most people calculate their MPG to see how frugal they (or their car) really are. I check mine to make sure I had as much fun the last fill as the previous one and so on (anything over 10mpg means I'm babying her way too much!)

Any of you that are getting anywhere NEAR 200 and aren't on road trips should be ashamed of yourselves! :p

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 RT/10 still has 3+ gallons left when on E. I go more than 300 miles on one tank.

My 97 GTS is empty when the tank still reads 1/3 full. Gets about 3-4 gallons/mile at the track.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100 - 200 depends on the weather, weather there are alot of open roads ahead of me :D :laugh:

Max

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This person should be barred forever! Gas mileage depends on how much you "stomp" on the pedal. Mileage is extremely good if you are being towed. Dude can't figure it out....how did this nitwit get the money to buy a Viper? I know, he is in deep $hit with finance payments, or Mommy gave him the money.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I filled up prior and got from NJ to Boston MA with a little less than 1/2 a tank left over. If you want to be exact I had 3/8 of a tank left.

Be careful with the gas gauge because it is very deceiving. When it hit 0 that usually means that it has a least a gallon left, more like 2 to 3.

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems most go about the same distance. I figured the gauge could not be trusted. Thanks for the responses.

MR VENOM, I appreciate your concern with respect to my finances, but rest assured, all is well. The intent for this post is not to figure out mpg, but how many miles a typical Viper will go in between fill ups. When my gauge reads "E" I still have 6.5 to 7 gallons left. Therefore I could drive further reducing the number of times I am putting gas in my car. Between four cars, it seems I am always putting gas in one of them. I am just trying to buy myself more time between fill ups.

BTW, If I ever get strapped, maybe I could call your mom for money. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456