AEM Stand Alone Engine Management

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have had several calls as late on a stand alone engine management system for the Viper. In the past the most comprehensive system was the Motec, but due to its price the only experience we had with it was on the GTSR engines that CDI had built for the EMI racing Viper. The other piggyback systems available helped quite a bit for tuning larger camshaft profiles but they never offered the comprehensive adjustability needed for real tuning.

You have probably heard quite a bit of talk about AEM producing a system for the Viper. Many have asked us what involvement (if any) we have had in this system. AEM had been talking about doing this system since last year at SEMA and they didnt seem to be making any progress. To get things jump started we provided them with all the components they needed in order to research and build a system. We also have done some dyno testing at thier facility with one of our supercharged cars so they could get a feel for the car. In the next two weeks we will be providing them with a vehicle to test and baseline the new system. We are hoping the new system will work well as it will open up new avenues in tuning, especially for our superchared cars.

This system will be available to all us tuners and I think with a little practice and shared information we will all be able to make some huge gains in power and driveability for the Viper. I will keep you all posted on the results.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh so it was your Viper that AEM monitored. I thought it was from west coast vipers, they have been planning the system since the inception of the AEM unit for Vipers. Just the people in marketing figured it would not be a huge seller.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the news Dan, as two of the boys working on that program are from the Omaha area. I heard about it around a year ago, and glad to know you are pursuing it. They do some great work, and please keep us all posted on the results, and do you always have to be on the cutting edge,ha?

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting Dan, AEM must be working all sides of the coin here. They did not mention any other tuner was supplying additional cars for testing nor did your tuner Chris tell me you were sending a car last time we spoke. At any rate, all the better for the Viper owners as a whole, more R&D always nets a better product. AEM is going to be flat out shocked by the amount of orders they recieve. I would think just the southern california customers could absorb the first 100 units.

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the interest. To clarify, this is a AEM product
and certainly is not exclusive to us. Many other tuners could be involved and hopefully we can all work together to
refine this product. As far as performance gains, I do not want to speculate. Things look very positive and we will post our results (as well as others I'm sure). Lets just wait and see. With any new product, its better not to jump the gun (I think we all have learned from that). We have high hopes.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting Dan, AEM must be working all sides of the coin here. They did not mention any other tuner was supplying additional cars for testing nor did your tuner Chris tell me you were sending a car last time we spoke. At any rate, all the better for the Viper owners as a whole, more R&D always nets a better product. AEM is going to be flat out shocked by the amount of orders they recieve. I would think just the southern california customers could absorb the first 100 units.

You are absolutly correct, as I was telling them 2 years ago the Viper unit will be there best seller hands down. And the testing is going to happen on at least 2 cars for the final finished product. They like to be sure on the results.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This system will be available to all us tuners and I think with a little practice and shared information we will all be able to make some huge gains in power and driveability for the Viper. I will keep you all posted on the results."

Is this a tuner only piece? Or is it something that an owner can put on his car, go to any local dyno and with the aid of an experienced dyno operator, start dialing in new and better settings?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy it from any authorized AEM dealer and do as you wish.

However most tunners including the ones in the Viper world are NOT skilled at using the AEM unit at the moment. They will have to participate in many class sessions going on at AEM just for this reason.

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We were called by Scott just last week and asked to supply a car. Good to know they are going to be fitting and testing several cars before the unit goes into production. For those interested AEM will be having classes
on how to use thier system the 3rd week of every month. Our techs will be attending.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

However most tunners including the ones in the Viper world are NOT skilled at using the AEM unit at the moment. They will have to participate in many class sessions going on at AEM just for this reason.

Sorry to perhaps have you repeat yourself, I'm just trying to be as clear as possible about this. Your saying for example; my local dyno operator, whose sole area of interest is computerized engine management, (mostly Mustangs) incl. his 6 sec/200mph, 44psi boosted Mustang would not be able to work with the AEM unit without some sort of specialized classes? - Just to be clear, I mean it's that different from what an experienced tuner has already seen?
He said btw that the Roe software looked nearly indentical to Mustang software he's familiar with.

Thanks again!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to perhaps have you repeat yourself, I'm just trying to be as clear as possible about this. Your saying for example; my local dyno operator, whose sole area of interest is computerized engine management, (mostly Mustangs) incl. his 6 sec/200mph, 44psi boosted Mustang would not be able to work with the AEM unit without some sort of specialized classes? - Just to be clear, I mean it's that different from what an experienced tuner has already seen?
He said btw that the Roe software looked nearly indentical to Mustang software he's familiar with.

Thanks again!

Correct.

Unless your tuner has had previous experience with the AEM unit in the past, he will have a difficult time tuning this unit. Even though the unit is designed to be tuned very easily, it still has extremely complex functions available.

If your tuner is interested I can give him a contact number so that he can attend a training course. Some people can get the hang of it from just one class others need more, just depends.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like anything - the best always welcome professional development for themselves and their staff. So the best tuners will not even think twice. If they see a market for it - they and their techs will attend training.

Those who always try to nut it out on their own fall into two camps - the bozos - 95%, and the 5% that always work it out in the end for themselves... just make sure it's not at your expense!

Personally, I'd support the tuners that did it the easy way and got the training - it's a good shortcut and the experienced tuners will learn advanced features and see new opportunities that other tuners will miss for months trying to come to grips with everything.

This is a great alternative to MOTEC if it works as well as everyone expects.

BTW - does AEM come with or support knock sensors? And how many extra injectors can it support?

dave1123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would really be cool is if they perfect the auto PC and let you run the tunning software right from the retractable in-dash monitors. then it would be really stealth. I've been trying to find a PC for the car that can attach to the in dash monitors, but haven't been able to find one. This would be a nice tool to have for future S/C functionallity.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand that they are planning to do development in the area of traction control systems for the Vipers. Now that is something that would sell (whether you have a bone stock or tuner Viper).

John has hired some very talented people from the racing world to assist him in developing these kinds of systems.

Brad

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AEM always missed the expected release date of their computers for other cars by two months. Will this be the case with the Viper computer?

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Dan! I spoke with the guys @ AEM while at SEMA and signed up for their program. I'll be out in Cali next month hopefully taking the (2) day course which should be a lot of fun. You, Chris and I should GTG? I have a S/C car scheduled to arrive around Christmas for tuning, so we'll post the pros/cons utilizing this new system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth