Great Viper Days this past weekend...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Once again the Thomas Clan out did themselves...THANKS for a GREAT weekend at Putnam Park !!!

We were able to hold a Regional Club meeting on Saturday, and got to sit in on some great discussions by instructors, Racer Bobby Archer, and TeamTech Pres. Curt Tucker !! SAFETY, performance, and fun...what an event for ALL levels of experience. There were some SUPER cars and drivers...with everyone helping anyone in need. One HAS to experience this event first hand...unbelieveable !!!

Special thanks to Skip and Family, Tech. Inspect. Tom Sessions, ALL the Instructors, and the two trackside Archer support services for the extra efforts and special insights for the drivers and their Vipers...and to Rick Maxwell from Woodhouse for his help, advice, tool-loans, services, and spare part sharing. The stewards, corner workers, and safety crews ALL worked long and hard to make this a safe and fun weekend. Thanks also to the USGP F1 PR team for participating on Saturday.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather was perfect. The weather forcasters blew this weekend. The track was fast, safe and fun was had by all!!

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all that showed up to drive and spectate. It was a great weekand and the weather was perfect!

Our next event is Oct 17th, 18th & 19th at Texas Motorsport Ranch South West of Ft. Worth. I know there are a ton of Vipers in TX so lets see them out at the track!!

http://www.viperdays.com/txdetails.html

Thank you for your support!

Viper Days, Inc.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a big thanks to my ol' pal Steve Fess who, once again, is always there when you need a hand (or a part)... and who brings Krispy Kremes for the masses to the track! You're one in a million Steve!

Rich

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, let's see..... Friday - session #1, the clutch went on Henry's car. We had a spare. Skip let us use his lift in the rig to change it. Tom Sessions mentions it may be he perfect time to throw in a lightweight flywheel.

Archer's have one. While reassembling the car, we notice the bell housing has a crack. We have a spare, but it's at home. We ask the Whelen team if they have one - and yes, they do. Ted Marsh gives away Sonny's parts and I agree to ship them my spare when I get home. #93 is back together and improved by 1 PM.

What a great bunch of folks.

Steve Fess is assisting Rich and Ben on the ex-Speedvision Vipers - coveralls and all - and still has time to clog our arteries with Krispy Kremes. Drumming up biz. Fess? ;)

Attn: Sonny - stop reading now.
After wininng Saturday's race, Sonny Whelen gets in over his head on the racetrack. No, it wasn't car contact, or even an off track excursion... he broke a driveshaft doing his victory burnout! Oh God - that was funny watching his crew push the car into the pits and over to the scales. Sorry Sonny - had to tell in order to get to the rest of the "parts sharing story......"

OK, Sonny, OK to read starting here.
After Sonny's unfortunate equipment failure (nice save, huh?) We asked his crew chief if he had new bolts and straps for the driveshaft install. They didn't, we did. Felt good to be able to return the favor.

Don McDaniel won Sunday's Comp Coupe class race in only his 4th VRL event. Don's one heck of a driver that does EVERYTHING himself. Don and the "General Lee" will be ones to watch next year. (OK, I am part-time crew chief so I may be biased, but he still ran a GREAT race.)

Rich and Ben got the cars back together and it was great seeing them out on the track - hope to see you guys more often. And was glad to help out when Rich comes over saying he's looking for someone with "a bitchin' set of tools"

ViperDays is the BEST venue for Viper drivers. The knowledge and support that is available, not to mention the comraderie, is unsurpassed.

I consider myself lucky to know these folks and call them friends.

Texas is coming up soon - Motorsport Ranch is a good, safe, technical track - stop making excuses - come out and see what you are missing!

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about comraderie and friends, I actually had never met Sonny or his guys before but we parked our new toter-rig next to them at Putnam and we ended up sharing tools and advice all weekend. What a great bunch! We were more than happy to let them use the lift in our trailer to fix the little "problem" Sonny had after Saturday's race. Great to see home-grown talent like Sonny and Joe Bliss moving to the top of the race group.

As always Janni it was great to see you and Henry, and was also great to see him and Don doing so well in the VRL races. Give my best to Tom, who also went out of his way to help us.

It's looking like I'll see you in Texas...

Rich

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, Janni, I admit it wasn't my finest moment...I figured a "victory donut" would cap off a hard fought race, but instead I ended up with a Krispy Kremed driveshaft.

Thanks to you, Janni, as well as Rich, Ben, and the McCanns for keeping the result to only public humiliation and embarassment. Obviously this is a topic that should be covered in the next advanced class! I do have the video, but unfortunately it doesn't show the look on my face - I'm sure that would have been priceless.

Seriously, the generous comaraderie that is always so obvious at Viperdays is only exceeded by the many friendships that are the result.

Thanks,

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The borrowing must have changed in the recent years. I last let a VRL driver borrow my gas grill so he could cook for his crew. I was promised its speedy return. 4 years later i'm still waiting. Good thing he didn't need anything important. HF

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I've just figured out why you are a model of negativity with respect to ViperDays! Perhaps your negativity is not restricted to ViperDays though... IMHO, ViperDays has always been a great group of folks, and today (vs. 4 years ago) the people are better than ever.

Looking forward to the Motorsport Ranch,
Rich

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, Other than PVO, Viperdays is the most logical source and your best chance for getting help with your passenger seat installation, setup info, safety concerns, or possible sale of your comp coupe. Whatever issues you may have had are 4 years old and before my time, but I came in right after you left, and for the past 3 seasons have been amazed at how helpful and friendly everyone is.

It may be exciting to attend track days with other groups and pass everything on the course, but what do you really learn by doing that? And what happens if you break? Or need tires? There simply isn't any other venue that brings out the best in Vipers and their drivers.

Come back and join us Frank and see what you've been missing!

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't tell all those who participate and sponsor (Sonny et al) Viper Days how much I, and that slow guy I hang with,look forward to the next event. I guess I need to quit working for the government and start a business so I can race more with Viper Days.

thanks................tw