high mileage Vipers. How high is still OK

bronco4x440

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I am a first time Viper buyer. I am looking around and seeing some high mileage Vipers. What is a mileage I want to stay under? I know I can buy an extended warranty, and I probably will but I want to know if these things have any known problems once they get above 30K or so. Any help would be great. Thanks Jason

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch a car that has over 500,000 miles! Anything under that is going to be your best bet :D

P.S. I have 48000 miles on my car, and never had a problem with the car mechanics. Now the A/C, thats another story :crazy: .

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

I had about 43K miles on my 94 RT before trading it in for my 97 GTS. I never had any major issues with the car, not even the known gasket issue!!

I would say look for the best used viper with the lowest miles you can afford and go from there. Like you said, you can most likely get a warranty......Kurt

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

Dont let mileage be your only factor. Depending on the year, there are many things you should watch out for. From what i've learned so far, low mileage isn't always necessarily a good thing. For a Gen 1, 40-60K miles is what i would consider good mileage. Even a '94 with 60K is only 6500 miles a year!

What year Vipers are you looking at?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the only down side to a high mileage car would be road rash on the paint. My car has 50,000 miles on it now and Runs great. Paint work is a lot cheaper than mechanical work.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your budget or model year should be the marker of what kind of car you can get. Every year and type has different features and every owner has enhancements and care into the car.

Some really high mileage cars are mechanically better than the lower miles, just depends on how it has been cared for.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the only down side to a high mileage car would be road rash on the paint. My car has 50,000 miles on it now and Runs great. Paint work is a lot cheaper than mechanical work.

I agree; you get low miles & pretty paint but dangerous mechanics. I would rather have one that's been used some.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will be fine as long as you do not get to crazy with the mileage. I am running at 9,000 in 5 months. I would say that it all comes down to personal opinion.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key is maintenance and prior use.

Low mileage but seriously tracked, highly modded (but returned to stock for sale) and not maintained.....

versus

Higher mileage and normal street use with impeccable maintenance records (that are consistent with it's physical condition) presents an easy choice......

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah they get faster!!!!! I have 32k hard & wet miles on my 97 GTS & it gets better all the time. But then again I have 157k on my 74 Ferrari dino with nary a problem. I think they like it if you beat on them. In fact when I bought my ferrari 18 years ago it had 80k on it. When all the other ferrari club guys were ******** about repairs & how bad their 10k mile cars ran,I had to laugh. the old girl runs like a dream

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950